Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'd rather take any draft pick compensation than a guy who's pretty much a bust. I'd say that the ideal situation would be for the Pens to get Hossa signed before the draft and then trade Malone's rights for a third or fourth rounder. Extend that further, get Orpik signed and trade Sydor for a similar draft pick and the hit they had taken from trading picks at the last two deadlines wouldn't be as bad, plus they'd still have Hossa anyway.

Agree, I see this as an opportunity to rebuild the draft they traded away.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crzymike on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 pm

pfim wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'd rather take any draft pick compensation than a guy who's pretty much a bust. I'd say that the ideal situation would be for the Pens to get Hossa signed before the draft and then trade Malone's rights for a third or fourth rounder. Extend that further, get Orpik signed and trade Sydor for a similar draft pick and the hit they had taken from trading picks at the last two deadlines wouldn't be as bad, plus they'd still have Hossa anyway.

If some team would ACTUALLY give us something for Sydor I'd be pleasantly surprised. Them taken his salary would be enough for me. Maybe ask Columbus to take him in exchange for giving them exclusive rights to Malone.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:25 pm

crzymike wrote:
pfim wrote:

If some team would ACTUALLY give us something for Sydor I'd be pleasantly surprised. Them taken his salary would be enough for me. Maybe ask Columbus to take him in exchange for giving them exclusive rights to Malone.

I'm sorry, I was actually commenting on the original thread topic, Malone. I wouldn't want to be taking on some 27 year old with an uneven track record. No one is going to give up anything for Sydor, moving him would be a salary dump if they actually could.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crzymike on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 pm

pfim wrote:
crzymike wrote:
pfim wrote:

I'm sorry, I was actually commenting on the original thread topic, Malone. I wouldn't want to be taking on some 27 year old with an uneven track record. No one is going to give up anything for Sydor, moving him would be a salary dump if they actually could.
I was responding to HH suggesting we try to trade Sydor for a pick. Sorry I had you in the mix there, my bad.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bigkam on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 pm

LexPenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:I know Ryan is somewhat of a hot commodity these days and granted he did have a great year but COME ON! Most rumors I wouldnt put much stock into anyway but damn, people act like the guy is a franchise wing! If other teams value him that much I think its great from a Pen's perspective but I can't see teams giving up much for a guy who will be a UFA in two weeks.

Last year's Philly/Nashville deal with Hartnell and Timmonen started something new in this league. Don't be shocked if you see more of these deals in the coming years.

I've been thinking the exact same thing as these rumors have been floating around. But not just for the trading of rights, but for the money that Hartnell got in his eventual deal with Philly. I see Malone as a much better version of Hartnell, thus making him worth more, and thus pricing him out of the Penguins future plans. I think when he eventually signs for around $5 million a year or so, people will see that he had no choice bet to test the open market.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby kirk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 pm

bigkam wrote:
LexPenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:I know Ryan is somewhat of a hot commodity these days and granted he did have a great year but COME ON! Most rumors I wouldnt put much stock into anyway but damn, people act like the guy is a franchise wing! If other teams value him that much I think its great from a Pen's perspective but I can't see teams giving up much for a guy who will be a UFA in two weeks.

Last year's Philly/Nashville deal with Hartnell and Timmonen started something new in this league. Don't be shocked if you see more of these deals in the coming years.

I've been thinking the exact same thing as these rumors have been floating around. But not just for the trading of rights, but for the money that Hartnell got in his eventual deal with Philly. I see Malone as a much better version of Hartnell, thus making him worth more, and thus pricing him out of the Penguins future plans. I think when he eventually signs for around $5 million a year or so, people will see that he had no choice bet to test the open market.

How is Malone "a much better version of Hartnell" . . . unless of course Geno is going with Malone?
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:39 pm

pfim wrote:

No team is going to trade anything to just be able to talk to this player for basically 2 weeks. I'm not even sure if they can legally do this before July 1st...and at that point he can talk to anyone.

They would have to make the actual trade or not trade. They can't talk to him on a "what if" he signs.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Scott, it can happen. And it just might.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Postby stlrnews on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Kovy27 wrote:http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=810b3d48-1a91-4773-8743-af8d9f8717f0&k=62933

Oilers GM Kevin Lowe may have called Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero about unrestricted free-agent winger Ryan Malone, who scored 27 goals this past season.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have inquired about getting the rights to the hard-nosed Malone, who has had two lowball offers and is certainly testing the market on July 1.

why would we have an interest in a player who cannot even make the Oilers team. No thanks.
stlrnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:57 pm

This whole thing shows you how ridiculous the free agent market is and how much you want to stay away from it. Teams allegedly are bidding just for the chance to sign Malone to a $5 million per season contract. When you draft your own talent and make smart moves, you don't have to be a part of the circus that does these things. I'm not completely trying to rip a team like Columbus. They'd be overpaying Malone if they do that, but they're a team looking to make it to the next level, and to do that, they need established players. They have plenty of cap room and no other way to spend it. It makes sense for them. Obviously, $5 million for Malone would make no sense for the Pens.

Trying to do anything substantial through free agency sucks. The Pens have been doing it right the last couple years, bringing in guys like Eaton, Ruutu, Sykora, and Sydor who form a supporting cast and aren't too expensive.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby kirk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Henry Hank wrote:This whole thing shows you how ridiculous the free agent market is and how much you want to stay away from it. Teams allegedly are bidding just for the chance to sign Malone to a $5 million per season contract. When you draft your own talent and make smart moves, you don't have to be a part of the circus that does these things. I'm not completely trying to rip a team like Columbus. They'd be overpaying Malone if they do that, but they're a team looking to make it to the next level, and to do that, they need established players. They have plenty of cap room and no other way to spend it. It makes sense for them. Obviously, $5 million for Malone would make no sense for the Pens.

Trying to do anything substantial through free agency sucks. The Pens have been doing it right the last couple years, bringing in guys like Eaton, Ruutu, Sykora, and Sydor who form a supporting cast and aren't too expensive.

It's all about the value for Shero moving forward. He's going to look at guys-- his own free agents and potential acquisitions-- from one simple frame of reference: If, for any given player, there is what one might call the fair market value range for his services, then Shero is only going to consider you if you are in the lower end of that range. It doesn't matter if you're Hossa or Malone or Laraque, it's all about the bang for the buck. The Sykora deal is the model. I don't see another signing like Sydor.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Chris Osgood has quietly won 363 games and got his name on the Stanley Cup three times in Detroit. If he wins another 60 games, he would tie Tony Esposito for seventh on the all-time win list for goaltenders. He might have a Hall of Fame shot.

Sorry, but what else can I say?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Marc-Antoine Pouliot sucks...
Robbie Schremp's game does not translate to the NHL, at all...

No thanks to either of them...and Brodziak made quite an impression on management last year, I doubt he's available...

I wish they still had Danny Syrvet, him and pick is a deal I would have taken...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkin0017 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:31 pm

How about Rob Schremp??? :pop:
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Malkin0017 wrote:How about Rob Schremp??? :pop:

Absolutely not.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Liverlips on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey, at least Schremp would be a money replacement for Christensen in the regular season shootouts! :wink:

Also a bit curious about Marc-Antoine Pouliot, since he and Sid were part-time linemates at Rimouski in the Q. Whenever they played together, Pouliot moved from Center to LW to accomodate Crosby. Sid supposedly liked playing with Pouliot. If chemistry is there still, it would be nice to see the one-timer from the left side that Pouliot could bring on many a juicy pass from Crosby. He is also a decent passer himself, so perhaps lots of give and go type stuff with Hoss as the supreme finisher.

Shero probably knows enough about him from his stint with WBS in 06-07 to determine if it would be a worthwhile move. His AHL numbers arent anything spectacular, but at least respectable.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby K2 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:Marc-Antoine Pouliot sucks...

No thanks to either of them...and Brodziak made quite an impression on management last year, I doubt he's available...

I wish they still had Danny Syrvet, him and pick is a deal I would have taken...

Mikey, what's the book on Syvret? I thought he was a defensive liability, hence the reason he went undrafted despite success on a Memorial Cup team. I've never seen him live, thats why I'm asking...
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Kovy27 wrote:.

I think Malone would be a great fit in Edmonton. Their new Ryan Smyth. Wouldn't surprise me if he became their captain one day. This is very interesting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

I think Malone would be a great fit in Edmonton. Their new Ryan Smyth. Wouldn't surprise me if he became their captain one day. This is very interesting.
I doubt Malone would have any interest in Edmonton. From a geography point of view Columbus makes more sense since its closer to home. Edmonton is not any closer to being a contender than the Blue Jackets so geography would be the difference.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I doubt Malone would have any interest in Edmonton. From a geography point of view Columbus makes more sense since its closer to home. Edmonton is not any closer to being a contender than the Blue Jackets so geography would be the difference.

I don't think Mrs. Malone or baby Malone would appreciate -40* winters.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

i believe $$$$$ are going to decide where Malone plays next season
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 pm

K2 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Marc-Antoine Pouliot sucks...

Mikey, what's the book on Syvret? I thought he was a defensive liability, hence the reason he went undrafted despite success on a Memorial Cup team. I've never seen him live, thats why I'm asking...

Danny Syvret really impressed me this season with Hershey, I got the chance to see him live a couple times, he was the best skater on the ice most nights...smart two-way player that can play solid D if he's paired with someone horrific (Patrick McNeill for instance) or lead the rush if he's paired with someone that hangs back...good skater, decent puck-mover who makes good choices with his shot selection...can make good plays defensively and will come back hard to break up a play...but undersized, never lived up to his hype either...

Potential: Two-way 6/7 defenseman...like a slightly less physical, but more talented Mike Weaver...or like a far less talented Paul Martin
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:35 pm

If the Oilers and Jackets both have interest to trade for Malone's rights, then more bargaining power to the pens...

I could see the Pens having interest in Torres/Pick...

It would be fun to actually get a decent roster player for Malone's rights....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:46 pm

I can't see Ryan wanting to have his family in Edmonton. Perhaps this is speculation from writers in Edmonton as Ryan's style of play is something they're missing up there.

The top couple of spots I can see Malone ending up:

Columbus - Close to Pittsburgh however he would be the #2 LW behind Nash. They need a #1 C more than a #2 LW.

Minnesota - Grew up here playing hockey as a teenager and I believe his wife's family is from the area. Even though Rolston is their #1 LW, he's a UFA. The odds of Ryan signing here probably depend on if Rolston re-signs. It should be noted however that Demetra is not going to be brought back to Minnesota (frees up $4.5 million against the cap).

Chicago - He's the kind of guy you want to be on the LW of Kane/Toews. I think a GM with those two young stars would recognize putting a guy like Malone on their line would rub off on them, however it works against them having Robert Lang at $4 million and Martin Havlat at $6 million (though only having Lang/Havlat for one more year on the books). Chicago is way under the cap and I could see them making a push for Malone. It makes sense.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 pm

cs6687 wrote:Who would you rather have? Fritsche or Torres.

Torres without a doubt. Torres plays a far more spirited game. He a must closer replacement for Malone.

My understanding is that Torres was in the doghouse (like alot of other Oliers) this past season. His stats are evident. I would imagine, like alot of other Oilers, he would be expendable. In a perfect world, we could send the rights to Malone and Sydor to Edmonton for Greene and Torres.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins