Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby pens#1 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:26 pm

not sure if it would matter but the Oilers new owner doesnt take over till Wednesday - one would think they wont make any moves till Thursday- with that said - Lowe is in charge there
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 pm

KG wrote:If the Oilers and Jackets both have interest to trade for Malone's rights, then more bargaining power to the pens...

I could see the Pens having interest in Torres/Pick...

It would be fun to actually get a decent roster player for Malone's rights....
You only have a bidding war if you have two teams that Malone is interesting in willing to swing a trade prior to July 1st. Malone holds all the cards, and he could tell Shero that is not interested in signing with any other team prior to July 1st therefore negating any poosible trade. If the Columbus rumor has any validity to it, then it tells me that Malone, through his agent, gave Shero a list of teams that he would consider. I doubt that the Oilers would be on that list. Why would an american who grew up in Pittsburgh, went to High School in Minnesota, and whose wife is from Wisconsin have any interest in Edmonton when supposedly you have other teams that would be a better geographic fit in the mix.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:38 pm

pens_CT wrote:
KG wrote:If the Oilers and Jackets both have interest to trade for Malone's rights, then more bargaining power to the pens...

You only have a bidding war if you have two teams that Malone is interesting in willing to swing a trade prior to July 1st. Malone holds all the cards, and he could tell Shero that is not interested in signing with any other team prior to July 1st therefore negating any poosible trade. If the Columbus rumor has any validity to it, then it tells me that Malone, through his agent, gave Shero a list of teams that he would consider. I doubt that the Oilers would be on that list. Why would an american who grew up in Pittsburgh, went to High School in Minnesota, and whose wife is from Wisconsin have any interest in Edmonton when supposedly you have other teams that would be a better geographic fit in the mix.

Just because he tells Shero, doesn't mean Shero spreads the word. Even if Malone intends on hitting the open market, it's best to get something for him, if we can.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:39 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Exactly why he's not going to Edmonton.

He's probably the top LW in the UFA market this year. For a little bit less money, he can choose the best fit for him and his family.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Just because he tells Shero, doesn't mean Shero spreads the word. Even if Malone intends on hitting the open market, it's best to get something for him, if we can.
Yeah it would be great to get something in return for Malone, but he will dictate which group of teams that he is interested in, not the Pens.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maagwa on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:56 pm

I'd like to have ryan malone as a replacement for ryan malone :pop:
Maagwa

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:20 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Yeah it would be great to get something in return for Malone, but he will dictate which group of teams that he is interested in, not the Pens.

What I'm saying is, we trade him to a team, even if he won't sign with them. So long as we don't get conditional picks, we get our return from the trade.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I'd expect the Oilers or Jacket's 2nd rounder - if they can get a 1st rounder that would be a major coup IMO
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins