After the break

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

After the break

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:27 am

Ok,we all know how great the first half of the season went,but how do you think the Pens will do after the Olympic break? They won their last two games and have played well. Maybe they're FINALLY starting to gell as a team? Who knows,but I honestly think they will have a pretty decent record the second half. Any thoughts?
Stevens25

Postby the wicked child on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Who knows... it's nice that they played as well as they did the past 2 nights, but naturally that occurred right before the Olympic Break. Sure, it allows them to go into it with a better state of mind perhaps, but that will not necessarily equate to Ws on the other end... we could end up seing a late season surge like the last season, or they could return to how they've played all year.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:00 am

I have a few thoughts on the subject. First of all 23 games is hardly a "half" but I get your meaning. Therrian may very well conduct a mini-camp during the break witch will set the stage for a 23 game pre-season for 06-07. I think the time to throw the season is over and now that they are gaurenteed a bottom 5 pick (remember that Staal IS the best prospect and he might not be picked in the top 5!) it's time to win every game! These past 2 wins give them all something positive to build off of and the mini-camp should help bring some cohesiveness to the team.

How well do I think they will actually do? 10-10-3. They face the Isles 4 more times and Florida twice. Neither of those 2 teams are going to the playoffs so the motivation factor should be a wash. Pens should win 4 of those (all shutouts). After that there are a few teams that are so good they can pretty much coast into the playoffs (Rangers-2, Ottawa, Philly-2) so the Pens can surprise them for a few more points. 2-2-1. The rest are good teams but not vastly superior by any means. Those teams (NJ,Montreal,etc.) should pose a significant challenge considering the fact that they are battleing for playoff spots. 4-6-2.
NIN

Postby Shinoix on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:48 am

Therrien can't conduct a mini camp during the break. You're not allowed to have any sort of team related things during the Olympic break. Hence the reason many guys are going to a sunny place.
Shinoix

Postby snagg66 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:51 am

I think they will be a .500 team...really the growing pains are part fo the business....and if the last two games were any indication of things to come....then let's see what happens....I am optimistic...it cannot get any worse than it has been
snagg66

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:34 am

Shinoix wrote:Therrien can't conduct a mini camp during the break. You're not allowed to have any sort of team related things during the Olympic break. Hence the reason many guys are going to a sunny place.

Not quite. Pens mini-camp starts the 22nd...the day of the quarterfinals of the medal round.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:50 am

If the last couple games are any indication, I think they're going to do ok. Two games are two games, but they were two of their best games of the season. That's something to build on. The break should be good for a lot of guys. Fleury, for example, has played a lot and over the last month seemed to struggle more. He needs a break. The team is going to have a good week to practice before games begin again. This is a great opportunity for Therrien to continue to make it "his" team as he finally has a solid amount of time to really work on things.

I think we're going to see a solid final two months, and it's going to bring a lot of optimism for next season with Malkin coming over and the rest of the team being molded to fit Therrien. It's been a miserable, nightmarish season, but I really think this is when things are going to start looking up. The worst is behind us all.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ShaPe on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:06 am

How big of a diffrence does it really make to have a good finish to the season? We had that last season and look how this season started. I know we had the lockout but the summer break is long when you miss the playoffs. How much of that momentum will carry over to the next season?
I'm sure the players will have better confidence but if they dont win the next season then that will all be gone.
I'm not saying winning now is bad or we should tank. Just giving my 2cent to the disscussion.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Therrien can't conduct a mini camp during the break. You're not allowed to have any sort of team related things during the Olympic break. Hence the reason many guys are going to a sunny place.

Not quite. Pens mini-camp starts the 22nd...the day of the quarterfinals of the medal round.

Yep, at Neville Island: http://www.letsgopens.com/practice.php
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jamie on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:56 pm

I think they will be slightly below .500. The lack of defense and goal scorers will continue to haunt this team. In the old NHL you could get by on a lack of talent to an extent, by the hooking and holding. Not in the new NHL, and this team lacks NHL caliber talent. If we can get a winger or two with a decent scoring touch, we may play .500 hockey the rest of the way, but not with the current roster.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins