remember the first pens game you attended?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby stopper40 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 am

It was 1971, I was 6, it was vs. the California Golden Seals. My dad took me down to see the zamboni and one of the maintenance guys down there gave me a puck. I still have the puck. It’s one of my best childhood memories
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:01 pm

I believe it was '97. The only seats left were the pseudo-box seats, but my dad bought them anyways. They played the Islanders. Jagr had a hat trick and four assists, at the time, his career best, now tied for his best. I didn't even know what a hat trick was before that.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 pm

I don't really remember my first penguin game, but I think it was at either the first or second one a bunch of fans, and me being the idiot I am, were screaming "STUUUUUUUUUUU!" And my grandma asked my mom, "why are they booing him?"
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ru10tu10 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Last day of the season, March 31 1968, the Pen's first year. They finished out of the playoffs, and faced the Flyers in a Sunday night game that meant nothing to either team, Phiily having clinched the night before when the Kings lost.

Pens won 5-1. My Dad had gotten tickets two rows from the ice, which sold for $5.00 at the time. I was mesmorized.
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jasonpens on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Told this story once before, but I think it's a good one, so here it goes again.

I was about 5 years old and my first game was I believe the 1979-80 season at the then Civic Arena vs. the NY Rangers. Ron Duguay played for the Rangers and during the National Anthem he was lined up on the blue line. I asked my dad why they were letting a girl play (Duguay had long hair). Anyway, before the game, one of the ushers gave me two practice pucks so I was pretty excited. I believe our seats were by the zamboni entrance and I also believe we won that game.

Great stuff. Loved it then and still love it now. Now my wife and I are half-season plan holders and I still get excited every single time I go to a game. Plus, my wife has become a big hockey nut so it makes it even better.
jasonpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maagwa on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Maagwa wrote:
Maagwa wrote:I think was like 4 years old, I got carried onto the ice by Iceberg.
I want to say it was a Pens-Devils game, I have a picture of Iceberg holding me up at center ice. :) I was rocking the mullet back then B).

So...that was 3-5 years ago?
**** I didn't mean to post that quote by the time I realized I did that on my ipod touch I was out of Network range at the airport.... my bad
Maagwa

Postby schreibdog on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:24 pm

emptyfriend wrote:Mine was the Mario 5 goals 5 ways game on New Years Eve against the Devs.....

Nice, this was my first game too! I wish I had known how big a deal that game was when Mario scored his 5 goals. What a game.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 pm

I attended the first game at the Civic Arena, a 2-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens and I hope to attend the last game at the Arena to close out a wonderful 40 plus years of hockey at the Igloo. It has been a great ride all these years and a lot of memories along with it. I was a season ticket holder for over 30 years
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Senka on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 pm

patrick roy scored an empty netter if i remember correctly in a loss to the Avs many years ago
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demangone on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:23 pm

I can't remember if it was in 91 or 92, but it was against the Blackhawks. I went with my friend who had really good seats, about 10 rows back from center ice. The Pens won, but during the game there was a pretty big brawl, I can't remember if it was bench clearing or not, but I do remember there being blood on the ice. Needless to say, it was awesome.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 pm

i remember i went with the Peters Township Hockey Club Freshman Hockey team. It was Pens vs Flyers and we won the game 9-5. I remember us being a bunch of 11-15 year olds getting into fights with old drunk flyers fans and throwing nachos all over them......good times! :twisted:
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:My first Penguin game was Dec 21st, 1999 at the Maple Leaf Gardens. The Pens got slapped around by the Leafs 7-2.

My first Penguin game on home ice came last fall Oct 10th against the Canadiens, another loss 3-2 :(

I have concluded that I am flat out a bad luck charm for the Pens. I have watched them 5 times in 3 different cities and they only won 1 of those games.

Don't feel bad -- I always thought I was too. Some of my first games included a 7-2 spanking by the Beezer backed Isles and the completely embarrassing 9-1 loss to the Devils when I believe Madden had a hat trick. It got so bad that my friend who took me messed with me and got his dad to tell me he wouldn't take me again because I was bad luck!

That said -- first game was the inaugural year for the Canes, Pens won 3-1.

I also recall Jagr ripping a wrister from the right wing boards for a goal... pretty sure it was that game... that or the 7-2 clubbing by the Isles. (Gradually, sour feelings fade away for Jags as I remember his greatness...)

One great game was Pens vs. Dallas where the Moose stuffed Modano on a penalty shot. IIRC, Mike Wilson also had a goal by throwing a puck toward the net and it floated right past Eddie Eagle...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby emptyfriend on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:18 pm

schreibdog wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:Mine was the Mario 5 goals 5 ways game on New Years Eve against the Devs.....

Nice, this was my first game too! I wish I had known how big a deal that game was when Mario scored his 5 goals. What a game.

I know! My older brother was trying to convey how unreal what we were watching was and how it might NEVER happen again! Everytime I see highlights on the NHL network from that game it brings back great memories.....
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensrock68 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:28 pm

January 27th, 1996 - a Pens 7-4 win over the Flyers. Lemieux had 5 points (3G, 2A). What a way to hook a new hockey fan to a great team!

Even Francois Leroux had a point and was NOT a minus for the evening :shock:
pensrock68

Postby careyz8 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Game 4 Round 2 1992 Playoffs against the Rangers. Pens won 5-4 to tie the series up at two. I was 9 years old and went with my grandfather. I sat first row near the Rangers goal and got a puck during the pregame warmups that is still sitting above my tv.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 pm

I was really young I think only 6 or 7 at the time. My dad took me to the game and we got really high seats, maybe 2nd row from the top in F section. The only things I remember about the game was that the Penguins played the Flyers and won 3-0. I remember my dad being able to stand up and the touch ceiling of Mellon Arena and I thought that was so cool. It was really hard to get tickets at the time.

I googled it and I believe I was able to find the correct game.

1993-94 season, February 13th.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/games/24728
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Pens at carolina, 2 years ago i think. up in the nosebleeds with 3 friends. they lost (as they have every game ive been at), but sid got his 200th point.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eastonpensfan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 pm

12/10/05. 4th row from the glass on the goal line to the right side of the goalie. Bought the seats from a season ticket holder. The ticket had a pic of Palffy on it. Pirjeta, Armstrong, and Recchi scored if I remember correctly. What a change!
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby maudineormsby on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 pm

My first game: 3/22/08, Devils @ Penguins: Staal, Malone (2), Dupuis, Malkin (2), and and Sykora scored. Naturally, Pens won, 7-1. Malkin got his 100th point. It was a good first game.

I got the tickets on a lark - I was coming home from spring break with my girlfriend; we had spent it in Virginia with her parents. I called my Grandfather who lives in Pittsburgh, and told him that I was thinking of trying to scalp a few tickets outside Mellon Arena, and asked if he could ask some of his friends what they thought that might cost. He's a member of South Hills Country Club, so he went there and asked his buddies if anyone had tickets they didn't want, and a friend of his gave me - free - two tickets that he wasn't using.

It was 5 rows from the glass behind the visitor's net to the right of the goalie. Great angle to see some fantastic Penguins hockey.

I remember watching the Pens-Caps when I was 5 and 6 (91 and 92) before we moved to Columbus; I would sneak into my parent's bedroom after I was supposed to be in bed and before they went to bed so I could watch the end of the games... I cried when the pens were eliminated in 93.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm

December 2?, 1988. Pens lost to the Flyers, 3-2. Lemieux and Coffey had the goals.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crackerjack5 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Mine was also the Lemieux 5 goals, 5 ways game against the Devils New Years Eve 1988. I was 10 and I still remember my Dad saying how unbelievable it was to witness that, especially in my first game and how it was history. Since then I've been lucky enough to attend 2 more games where Lemieux scored 5 goals. I've seen overtime playoff victories, Stanley Cup Finals, become a season ticket holder, and watched Crosby get his 100th point in his rookie year, but none of that can change the way I feel about that game. With the way the game is played today, I don't think anyone could ever do that again. Having that be my first game, just can't be topped.
Crackerjack5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Finishing the checks "Alazy" Ponikarovsky fails to finsh

Postby Bathgate on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:11 pm

holeinone wrote:I attended the first game at the Civic Arena, a 2-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens and I hope to attend the last game at the Arena to close out a wonderful 40 plus years of hockey at the Igloo. It has been a great ride all these years and a lot of memories along with it. I was a season ticket holder for over 30 years

I too attended that first Penguins regular season game ever at the Civic Arena in October 1967 in front of about 9,700 fans. The Penguins first goal ever and their only goal of the game was scored by Andy Bathgate, and thus my handle. I have been to over 1,100 games since.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wickedsinner on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 pm

my first game was actually an exhibition game against the us olympic team right after the pens won the first cup. I actually got a practice puck from one of the guys on team usa. I was really young at the time but I remember mario did not play bc paul coffey was wearing the C. Definately an odd first game to go to but an amazing one for a 7 year old to watch.
wickedsinner
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RJW76 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 pm

November 27, 1990 against the Oilers. The Pens lost 7-3 and Petr Klima was the no. 1 star. I don't remember the section we sat in, but it was enclosed with railings that aren't there anymore. I still laugh when I think of how bad that game was and that we went on to win the cup that year. I know that it was because everyone was hurt early in the season and the big trades didn't happen yet.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 pm

Hey Bathgate Gilles Trembley got the game winner I believe There are not many of us left You are right about 9700 fans but the arena only seated around 10,000 at the time
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins