Best way to see games out of town?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Best way to see games out of town?

Postby Patches O'Hoolihan on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:39 am

Ok, before anyone tears me up it's my first post I know but I have a simple question. I'm from the area, but recently moved to filthadelphia for medical school (sorry Pitt was just too hard to get into to) and was looking for a way to watch some games this year. I have family members with season tickets so I'll get to see a few around Christmas, but what is th/e best way for out-of-towners to get to watch games on TV during the season? I heard Directv blacks out their Sports Package so Center Ice is the way to go, but is there any other way? Any help would be appreciated.
Patches O'Hoolihan
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: The wrong side of PA

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:30 am

Directv Center Ice is the best option, but I know some folks have signed up for the "on-line" Center Ice.

Not sure how well that works, or whether there are any other black-outs rules on the web, but you might look into that alternative. I'm assuming you need broadband and a PC with a good monitor for that to be viable.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby profpolisci on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:34 pm

Highly recommend center ice online
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,259
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and...dodge...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,248
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby icecats30 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:53 pm

a television is usually the best way to go.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:05 pm

Postby Ron` on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Seriously, Center Ice and the Sports package (including Fox regional) is the way to go if you are not in the Pittsburgh area . Who you get it from is up to you. I'm a long time Direct TV subscriber though. Weird stuff I hear with living in Philly for what area you can get blacked out for sporting events. Particularly football usually. So try to find another pens fan there to confirm the best option.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:37 pm

television.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Corvidae on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Telescope and giant mirror.

But seriously, if you can order NHL Center Ice through cable or satellite, you'll be vary happy. I did it for the last two years and it was fantastic. The online version isn't that great in quality, but you could check it out with the free preview they offer at the beginning of the season.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: Best way to see games out of town?

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 pm

Patches O'Hoolihan wrote:Ok, before anyone tears me up it's my first post I know but I have a simple question. I'm from the area, but recently moved to filthadelphia for medical school (sorry Pitt was just too hard to get into to) and was looking for a way to watch some games this year. I have family members with season tickets so I'll get to see a few around Christmas, but what is th/e best way for out-of-towners to get to watch games on TV during the season? I heard Directv blacks out their Sports Package so Center Ice is the way to go, but is there any other way? Any help would be appreciated.


You left Pittsburgh for Philadelphia? Sorry can't help you.

In all seriousness though at least you have a good excuse. My brother graduates from Pitt as a Pharmacist, then decides to move to Johnstown? :?: Now he wants to move to Philly just for the heck of it. His main reason is for the historical landmarks. :roll:

Just so my post isn't npr...Get CenterIce.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Best way to see games out of town?

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Patches O'Hoolihan wrote:Ok, before anyone tears me up it's my first post I know but I have a simple question. I'm from the area, but recently moved to filthadelphia for medical school (sorry Pitt was just too hard to get into to) and was looking for a way to watch some games this year. I have family members with season tickets so I'll get to see a few around Christmas, but what is th/e best way for out-of-towners to get to watch games on TV during the season? I heard Directv blacks out their Sports Package so Center Ice is the way to go, but is there any other way? Any help would be appreciated.


i lived in philly for this past season and did the center ice thing. the only thing that sucks is if the pens are playing on the nhlnetwork, the games were blacked out (comcast).
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,777
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Have someone set up a slingbox for you back in Pittsburgh...
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby knives of ice on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:25 pm

buy an FTA satellite box, load some firmware/bin, and watch every channel on dish network or bell expressvu for free.

thats probably the best thing...

i'd recommend subscribing to directv or bell expressvu.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,743
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Have someone set up a slingbox for you back in Pittsburgh...




Damn, i never even thought about that. now i'm intrigued about the possibilities.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,712
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 pm

We now live in So. Jersey, so I can completely relate. DirecTv with the Center Ice package is what I have. I think you can get Center Ice on cable too, but Comcast sucks.

Be aware, Comcast does cause blackouts if the Pens are playing the Flyers since they carry on their local Comcast Sportsnet which is the only one of their channels they don't sell to Directv.

If you want Steelers football too, you have to get satellite with Sunday Ticket.

Or you can come to So. Jersey and watch at my place!

Seriously though, also for football, Fox and the Hound in Philly is good for almost every game over 20 TVs all with different games playing.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,992
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Postby Patches O'Hoolihan on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:26 pm

I thought about getting a slingbox and running that setup, but I'm renting a room in a condo with a classmate and since he owns the place I really can't do anything like that. He already had Comcast ordered and everything too, so I guess I'm turning to CenterIce for the season. Does anyone know any prices ordering through Comcast? I couldn't find anything on their website, still says the package is out of season.

I have a buddy out here that lives about a mile away with a plasma that got Sunday Ticket in HD through Directv, so catchin Steelers games won't be a problem.

Anyone know of any good sports bars out this way? I heard a place called Chickie and Petes is supposed to be alright, and I've been to the Fox and the Hound up in Grove City before, had a pretty decent time.
Patches O'Hoolihan
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: The wrong side of PA

Postby JS© on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 pm

this might help, and I will emphasize might. I can't verify the accuracy, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/st ... s_list.asp

Allendale Bar & Grill 67 West Allendale Ave Allendale, NJ
Bar Anticipation 703-5 16th Ave Lake Como, NJ
Big Apple Sports Palace Broadway Bayonne, NJ 07002
Bunny's 12-14 W. South Orange Avenue South Orange, NJ 07079
Chelsea's Rt 22 Lebanon, NJ 08833
Court Jester 1077-A Hwya 34 (Aberdeen Shopping Center) Aberdeen, NJ 07747
Deauville Inn Ocean Drive Strathmere , NJ
Dominc's 51 Browning Road Bellmawr, NJ 08021
Gabrielle's 1351 Centennial Ave Piscataway, NJ 08854
Gattos Sports Cafe Camplain Road Manville , NJ 08835
Ground Zero Nightclub Lounge 229 William Street Piscataway, NJ 8854
Half & Half 111 Vanard Dr Brick, NJ 08723
High Velocity Atlantic City Boulevard Beachwood, NJ
Hooters of Union Route 22 West Union , NJ
Jake's Route 31-202 South Flemington, NJ 08822
Maloney's Uptown Tennesee Avenue Atlantic City, NJ
Mulligan's Pub 117 Chesnut St Roselle Park, NJ
Pub 199 199 Howard Blvd Mount Arlington, NJ
Ramada Sportz Bar Rt 10 W East Hanover, NJ
Sawmill Cafe Ocean Ave Seaside Park, NJ
Seasons Route 27 Edison, NJ
Sharkey's 820 North Black Horse Pike Williamstown, NJ
Skeeter's Pub Blackhorse Pike & Coles Road Blackwood, NJ
Sloc's Bar And Grille 1675 Pennington Rd. Ewing , NJ 08618
Sports Edition Bar & Restaurant Hilton Towers, Rt. 18 East Brunswick, NJ 8816
Sun Tavern 15 South Ave Fanwood, NJ
Texas Arizona 76 River St Hoboken, NJ
The Beacon Hill Tavern 16 Beechwood Ave Summit, NJ 07901
The Clover Pub 165 Boulevard Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
The Cup 1410 E. Elizabeth Ave Linden, NJ 07036
The Famished Frog 18 Washington St Morristown, NJ 07960
The Landmark Americana 1 E West St Glassboro, NJ
The Park Tavern 250 Park Ave East Rutherford, NJ
The Rock Bottom 437 Main St West Orange, NJ 07052
Whiskey Pete's 217 Broad Ave Palisades Park, NJ 07650
Wildflowers Rt 156 Yardville, NJ
Windberries Palmer Square Princeton, NJ
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,275
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 am

Patches O'Hoolihan wrote:I thought about getting a slingbox and running that setup, but I'm renting a room in a condo with a classmate and since he owns the place I really can't do anything like that. He already had Comcast ordered and everything too, so I guess I'm turning to CenterIce for the season. Does anyone know any prices ordering through Comcast? I couldn't find anything on their website, still says the package is out of season.

I have a buddy out here that lives about a mile away with a plasma that got Sunday Ticket in HD through Directv, so catchin Steelers games won't be a problem.

Anyone know of any good sports bars out this way? I heard a place called Chickie and Petes is supposed to be alright, and I've been to the Fox and the Hound up in Grove City before, had a pretty decent time.


Last I recall it was about $190 per season but I can't say for sure. It just renews for me year after year and they put it on my bill in 4 payments.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,992
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Postby WHITEY1 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 am

I got the best idea...use your EYES!!!
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,602
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Re: Best way to see games out of town?

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 am

Daniel87 wrote:In all seriousness though at least you have a good excuse. My brother graduates from Pitt as a Pharmacist, then decides to move to Johnstown? :?: Now he wants to move to Philly just for the heck of it. His main reason is for the historical landmarks. :roll:


And just what is wrong with Johnstown? Downtown may not be great, but there are a lot of great areas considered in the "Greater Johnstown" area. :P
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,264
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Damn the Man! Save the Empire!

Postby crayz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I love center ice with DTV...
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,710
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Remember the Pav!

Re: Best way to see games out of town?

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:In all seriousness though at least you have a good excuse. My brother graduates from Pitt as a Pharmacist, then decides to move to Johnstown? :?: Now he wants to move to Philly just for the heck of it. His main reason is for the historical landmarks. :roll:


And just what is wrong with Johnstown? Downtown may not be great, but there are a lot of great areas considered in the "Greater Johnstown" area. :P


word! :D
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,275
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Postby Mr. Poopypants on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Have someone set up a slingbox for you back in Pittsburgh...




Damn, i never even thought about that. now i'm intrigued about the possibilities.


I have one set up at my house. 1. when I travel I can watch the Pens games from anywhere 2. my aunt lives in Cali and wants to watch the Steelers games that are not nationally broadcase.
Plus, I can watch anything on demand and anything on my DVR.
It's really nice and the quality is excellent.

You view them on your computer so it's not like you will be hogging the TV like you would with center ice.
Mr. Poopypants
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:07 pm


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikey287, PhantomJB93 and 7 guests

e-mail