Interesting read on Luca Caputi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:46 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Ron` wrote:Let him play a full AHL season, then judge where he is. A whole lot of hype has been thrust on this kid here. If he can become a third liner that can pot a few, it will be good. But that will be viewed as a disappointment because of all the hype here.

Agreed, I can't figure out who we'll be most disappointed with from overhyping them, Gianluca or Goose...

I think Goose... mainly because of the misunderstanding of how a defenseman can be good without hitting someone every 3 seconds. He's already pegged as top 4 so we can trade off Whitney. We've also had a couple extra years to overhype him.

Caputi is relatively new, so it's just starting. Maybe by the end of the year it will switch where Caputi is pinned as a 30 goal scorer, but I think a season in the AHL will get his numbers back down where we realize he may only be a 3rd liner that can spend some stints on top 6 duty. Who knows though :D

At least he's not lazy and unmotivated...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't really see any reason that Caputi can't fill the same role that Malone filled in a couple of years. At least the same even strength role. When he fills out, he should be a pretty big guy and has good enough hands to clean up garbage. That should be his floor if he fills out and his body holds up. No reason he can't be a 20 goal scorer in that role.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't really see any reason that Caputi can't fill the same role that Malone filled in a couple of years. At least the same even strength role. When he fills out, he should be a pretty big guy and has good enough hands to clean up garbage. That should be his floor if he fills out and his body holds up. No reason he can't be a 20 goal scorer in that role.

I think the same was said of Ouellett :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:59 pm

bhaw wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't really see any reason that Caputi can't fill the same role that Malone filled in a couple of years. At least the same even strength role. When he fills out, he should be a pretty big guy and has good enough hands to clean up garbage. That should be his floor if he fills out and his body holds up. No reason he can't be a 20 goal scorer in that role.

Ouellet doesn't have the size to do that, nor did he have any significant success at scoring in juniors(Given that it is just juniors, but still). People that thought he could do something like that were too used to the rico fata era.

EDIT: wow that was an uninformed statement, I guess Ouellet did have a couple of good years in juniors, but still didn't have the size.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Fun fact: When Ouellet skates, the ice is slowly pulled out from under him just to mess with him...or, at least that's how it appears...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Ouellet doesn't have the size to do that, nor did he have any significant success at scoring in juniors(Given that it is just juniors, but still). People that thought he could do something like that were too used to the rico fata era.

EDIT: wow that was an uninformed statement, I guess Ouellet did have a couple of good years in juniors, but still didn't have the size.

Ouellet was a great scorer in juniors, had 20 goals in his only ECHL year, then scored 30 and 31 at WBS. Of course, his career NHL stats are 52-64-116, which isn't bad at all for playing 187 total games. He is, nonetheless, vilified here.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:40 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Ouellet was a great scorer in juniors, had 20 goals in his only ECHL year, then scored 30 and 31 at WBS. Of course, his career NHL stats are 52-64-116, which isn't bad at all for playing 187 total games. He is, nonetheless, vilified here.

He plays like Recchi, but he's 20 years younger.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:56 am

I'll say it now, Caputi > Malone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:37 am

DelPen wrote:I'll say it now, Caputi > Malone.

His junior career has certainly been better. I think this could come true in 3 or 4 years. Here's hopin'!
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:55 pm

As in, will be better? Is better now? Will have a better career? Will have a higher peak?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 pm

mikey287 wrote:

As in, will be better? Is better now? Will have a better career? Will have a higher peak?

Caputi is better now. People fail to remember Malone is an average hockey player who only does well in contract years.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:38 pm

DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Caputi is better now. People fail to remember Malone is an average hockey player who only does well in contract years.

I don't know if there's really evidence to support that. Before he signed his last contract, he had a pretty typical year for him, inconsistent and finishing around his usual 20/20. I still don't even buy that he only picked up his game last year because it was a contract year. In terms of his production, I believe the main factor there is that he played with Malkin when Malkin went on a tear that few players have matched in recent years. Malone was having a normal season before that line took over. And as far as the rest of his game does, I think that was a transformation that was really taking shape in 06-07 and carried over into last season.

I don't even want to put expectations on Caputi. He had a big year in the OHL last year, but he also was an older player and played on a power house team. I feel comfortable saying he could probably be a solid third line type that can play spot duty on the top two lines. Which, in a bold statement, I'll argue is what Malone really still is.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:22 pm

DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

So, you are trying to tell me that Gianluca Caputi, right this second, is a better NHLer than Ryan Malone?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

He's at least twice as good as Jan "Funky Cold" Hrdina
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 pm

K2 wrote:Jan "Funky Cold" Hrdina

probably the greatest nickname i've ever heard for anybody. :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:49 pm

canaan wrote:
K2 wrote:Jan "Funky Cold" Hrdina

probably the greatest nickname i've ever heard for anybody. :lol:

Don't hate on the Hrd-man.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 am

demangone wrote:I read the article and went straight to youtube and watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5m8VueG56A . I love how he reacts at the end of the fight. Anyone think he'll give the Kennedys of the team some competition for fourth line minutes?

I'm quickly becoming a fan, he is going to be a great one.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:19 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
demangone wrote:I read the article and went straight to youtube and watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5m8VueG56A . I love how he reacts at the end of the fight. Anyone think he'll give the Kennedys of the team some competition for fourth line minutes?

"I'm supposed to think this player is gonna make the NHL coming from some garbage league after watching a few YouTube highlight videos?" - paraphrasing you re: Janne Pesonen

"I'm quickly becoming a fan, he is going to be a GREAT one." - after seeing a YouTube highlight of Caputi in an even lower tier league...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:

"I'm supposed to think this player is gonna make the NHL coming from some garbage league after watching a few YouTube highlight videos?" - paraphrasing you re: Janne Pesonen

"I'm quickly becoming a fan, he is going to be a GREAT one." - after seeing a YouTube highlight of Caputi in an even lower tier league...

Luca Caputi is the greatest fourth rd draft pick ever....or of the 2007 NHL entry draft.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rasbatch on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 pm

K2 wrote:He's at least twice as good as Jan "Funky Cold" Hrdina

Are you sayin my Jan Hrdina autograph is worthless? Pfft!
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Thats pretty much what i've come to expect.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Zing!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:23 pm

DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Malone will be missed...Fedotenko is no Malone...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't even want to put expectations on Caputi. He had a big year in the OHL last year, but he also was an older player and played on a power house team.

I cannot stress this enough.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 pm

It doesn't really matter, most people here aren't asking for a ton, if he fails to be a 3rd liner, he is a disappointment regardless of what expectations we have for him. Anyone that scores 100 points in juniors then goes on to play on the 4th line is an utter disappointment.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins