Good ol' Ek...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Good ol' Ek...

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 am

Says the Pens are a safe bet if McCabe doesn't go to Florida.

If this really happens, will somebody please bludgeon me to death with a soldering iron?
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Good ol' Ek...

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 am

LdubsRoot23 wrote:Says the Pens are a safe bet if McCabe doesn't go to Florida.

If this really happens, will somebody please bludgeon me to death with a soldering iron?

It's Ek, meaning the Penguins are the absolute last place McCabe would end up. The Pens don't even have cap space, and even without Whitney, there remain seven NHL defenseman and Goligoski (though I doubt he makes it).
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah I never understood the McCabe to the pens talk. It makes zero sense to me. The pens already have almost $10MM wrapped up in Gonchar and Whitney. I don't see them adding another offensive high priced D man. Even with the Whitney injury...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:21 am

McCabe is hardly as awful as most people often suggest. He's pretty weak defensively, but, hardly bad enough to seek a bludgeoning.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Collider on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am

Kraftster wrote:

McCabe is hardly as awful as most people often suggest. He's pretty weak defensively, but, hardly bad enough to seek a bludgeoning.

I think you overestimate the threshold at which I am willing to bludgeon someone.
Collider
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am

It's pure offseason blustering in order to generate more hits and more fools to pay $20 to read his crap...

Just look at how much Sundin crap he's been throwing out there all offseason...
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:31 am

Bryan McCabe isn't terrible. He just isn't worth nearly what he makes. How, oh, how, dear Ek, would they fit his onerous salary under the cap? The Leafs would most certainly want a Whitney or Goligoski coming in return, and no way I trade either of them for McCabe. So forget about the bludgeoning. he ain't coming to the Burgh.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Kraftster wrote:

McCabe is garbage defensively, he gets undressed with regularity. If you took Gonchar, gave him a worse shot, and took away everything else Gonchar can do...you'd have McCabe.

JFJ is just an awful GM, how do you give that guy nearly 6 mill a season with no-trade and no-movement clauses?
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Then who bust my skull open with a cinder block?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm

McCabe is overpaid and pretty horrid defensively...but it has gotten to the point that internet message boards actually underrate him now...which is weird for me to say, as I have always been one of his biggest detractors...but, it has been taken too far now, I feel...

I don't want him on my team under any circumstances...but still...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm guessing since Dwayne....errr, Eklund isn't touring, that he has nothing better to do than make ridiculous rumors.

As mentioned already, this doesn't make sense with the Pens current cap number. Then again, how many of his articles do make sense?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:03 pm

KG wrote:Yeah I never understood the McCabe to the pens talk. It makes zero sense to me. The pens already have almost $10MM wrapped up in Gonchar and Whitney. I don't see them adding another offensive high priced D man. Even with the Whitney injury...

If Whitney's injury is 3-5 months from August, that would imply he could be back at the start of the season, right? Or at worst, December?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Daniel wrote:
KG wrote:Yeah I never understood the McCabe to the pens talk. It makes zero sense to me. The pens already have almost $10MM wrapped up in Gonchar and Whitney. I don't see them adding another offensive high priced D man. Even with the Whitney injury...

If Whitney's injury is 3-5 months from August, that would imply he could be back at the start of the season, right? Or at worst, December?

Start of the season is early October. Surgery took place August 15. Three months would put Whitney at mid November (more than a month in), while five months would put Whitney at mid January (more than three months in).
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:18 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Start of the season is early October. Surgery took place August 15. Three months would put Whitney at mid November (more than a month in), while five months would put Whitney at mid January (more than three months in).

Still isn't to bad. He can be healthy and getting going in time for the playoffs.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MicP on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:20 pm

JS© wrote:I'm guessing since Dwayne....errr, Eklund isn't touring, that he has nothing better to do than make ridiculous rumors.

As mentioned already, this doesn't make sense with the Pens current cap number. Then again, how many of his articles do make sense?

I believe his pants has 2 A--Holes in them! :P
MicP
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Daniel wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Still isn't to bad. He can be healthy and getting going in time for the playoffs.

Yeah, he should be back well before then. My target date is January 1.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 am

It bears repeating.

If you enjoy watching Pens related highlight goals, then you will find McCabe #3 in appearences behind Crosby & Malkin. Except, he'll be the guy getting beat badly.

Now don't get me wrong. He's solid. Yeah, like a cinderblock painted orange. A more permanent type of pylon with two big holes to put the puck through.

I'm going to tune out all the buzz and wait for Netwolf's camp reports.

Wake me up when September ends...... St. Jimmy signing off.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 am

EK also has Smolinski as well...I would take him back. He is a good faceoff man, right handed shot and solid defensively...It would have to be for a cheap contract though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

I heard Sundin will play for a contender for ONLY $2 mil. Why hasn't he been linked to the Pens yet?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

Every thread of Eklund should contain this picture. He looks like Ozzy Osbourne minus the narcotics, specs, and any personality

I couldn't take him seriously before I saw this picture, and now I really can't
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 am

That can't be him.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 am

Detention, Mr. Potter!
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 am

Kicksave wrote:That can't be him.

It is.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 am

can we no longer have threads regarding anything eklund says? We all know it won't happen.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 am

IrishEyes wrote:Detention, Mr. Potter!

Yeah, that's who I thought of too.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins