Hockey News blog lineup predictions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hockey News blog lineup predictions

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:21 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby WWGRD on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Ya, he loves Taffe.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby emptyfriend on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Move Cooke to the third line to replace Pesonen (I don't think he's making the team) and put Kennedy in Cooke's 4th line spot and I agree... Staal should absolutely be moved to 2nd line winger....
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 pm

He pimped Buzz on the Turd pretty big in that article

-1 credibility
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lumbergh on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:10 pm

K2 wrote:He pimped Buzz on the Turd pretty big in that article

-1 credibility

Agree. Total crap. He's just another kid with a blog. http://christophergates.wordpress.com/
Lumbergh
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Lumbergh wrote:

-1 credibility

Agree. Total crap. He's just another kid with a blog. http://christophergates.wordpress.com/

Without commenting on the quality, I would be interested in knowing how one goes about getting their blog republished by the Hockey News.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:45 pm

One of my favorite lines:

"Reports are that Satan should be able to get back to 30-goal status again (TIOPS)."

Regardless of the fact he referenced TIOPS, the statement is awesome. Someone reported that Satan should be able to get back to 30 goal status? WTF does that even mean? Has he physically morphed into something different than when he was on Long Island? Then add on to it that it's a fake source that said this and you get a bucket of awesome.

If you cut down to the meat, his lines make sense. Just eliminate the crappy commentary.

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Pesonen - Talbot - Dupuis
Cooke - Taffe - Godard

I still can't get myself to pencil Pesonen into the line up without him even participating in camp yet. Throw TK in there and you have a very annoying 3rd line to play against. Cooke would of course be better in a 3rd line role than a 4th.

The Taffe love is interesting but when we're talking about 4th line, it won't make a difference whether it's him, Beech, Stone, or whoever.

Here's a question... we obviously will have a 1a and 1b line. What are the chances we end up with a 3a and 3b line? We really have too many talented guys to keep them off the ice. I would hate to see Cooke only play 7 minutes a night, but I would also hate to see Dupuis, TK, or Talbot suffer for it as well. Especially if Pesonen makes the team, I think MT will will have a hard time finding enough ice to go around.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Move Cooke To Pesonen's spot, Pesonen to Finland, and I don't really care who goes into Cooke's spot.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kennedy, well he can just fill in Pesonen's spot and move Pesonen to Finland.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:51 pm

bhaw wrote:One of my favorite lines:

"Reports are that Satan should be able to get back to 30-goal status again (TIOPS)."

Regardless of the fact he referenced TIOPS, the statement is awesome. Someone reported that Satan should be able to get back to 30 goal status? WTF does that even mean? Has he physically morphed into something different than when he was on Long Island? Then add on to it that it's a fake source that said this and you get a bucket of awesome.

If you cut down to the meat, his lines make sense. Just eliminate the crappy commentary.

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Pesonen - Talbot - Dupuis
Cooke - Taffe - Godard

I still can't get myself to pencil Pesonen into the line up without him even participating in camp yet. Throw TK in there and you have a very annoying 3rd line to play against. Cooke would of course be better in a 3rd line role than a 4th.

The Taffe love is interesting but when we're talking about 4th line, it won't make a difference whether it's him, Beech, Stone, or whoever.

Here's a question... we obviously will have a 1a and 1b line. What are the chances we end up with a 3a and 3b line? We really have too many talented guys to keep them off the ice. I would hate to see Cooke only play 7 minutes a night, but I would also hate to see Dupuis, TK, or Talbot suffer for it as well. Especially if Pesonen makes the team, I think MT will will have a hard time finding enough ice to go around.

Lines are hard to predict now. It all depends on how Pesonen does. If he can play top 6 minutes then Staal most likely stays at C. If not, then I would put Staal with Sid and Satan...And Fedotenko with Malkin and Sykora...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:56 pm

mikey or Jesse... what is the rest of the world missing on Jeff Taffe that this kid seems to have pegged? :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:19 pm

This writer loves taint.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Kovy27 wrote:This writer loves taint.

This post is almost always relevant. I didn't even know what thread I entered and saw that post and immediately agreed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eastonpensfan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Funny thing... Taffe was a 1st round draft pick, but never lived up to potential. But, then again, Colby Armstrong was also a 1st round draft pick.

I don't have a problem with his TIOPS plugs or his constant Taffe references, but how does he put this team together while forgetting about Kennedy? You would have to think that Kennedy is much more valuable to a team than a Cooke or Godard.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demangone on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 pm

How can you forget about Kennedy's nostrils?
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 pm

bhaw wrote:mikey or Jesse... what is the rest of the world missing on Jeff Taffe that this kid seems to have pegged? :lol:

Rarely do I click on links in threads like this...because most of them don't deserve the traffic...but this one (while it was no exception) I gave a try, just because of Jeff Taffe...

How the hell is Jeff Taffe mentioned so much in one article...if I was writing a feature on Jeff Taffe, I don't think I would even use his name as much as this guy did with Jeff Taffe...

For Jeff Taffe, it's like it's 2001, 2002 again and Jeff Taffe is actually relevant in the hockey landscape...

I mean, it's Jeff Taffe, it's a 11th/12th/13th forward whose job description leads off with "don't **** up!" ...the impact that Jeff Taffe provides is minimal...

...Jeff Taffe!

It's also laugh out loud funny that someone used TIOPS has a "source" saying that Satan could get back to 30-goal status...there are so many things wrong with that that it makes my stomach hurt...I wonder who TIOPS used as a source on that...

"hey, Eklund, ya think Satan will hit 30 goals?"

"e4"

"thanks big guy...we still on for dinner tonight?"

"e3"

"I thought I'd bring one of my sources along...make it special tonight"

"e5"

"that's better, seeya tonight sugar daddy..."

- I've been sick in bed all day, and this is the first thing I do when I get up? Yikes...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:07 pm

mikey287 wrote:- I've been sick in bed all day, and this is the first thing I do when I get up? Yikes...

I approve
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

This post is almost always relevant. I didn't even know what thread I entered and saw that post and immediately agreed.

probably anything by larry brooks could bring about this response.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lumbergh on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 pm

columbia wrote:
Lumbergh wrote:

-1 credibility

Without commenting on the quality, I would be interested in knowing how one goes about getting their blog republished by the Hockey News.

I wondered the same. But instead of looking into it deeply, I'll just go ahead and place The Hockey News into the "giant turd" category now. I just deleted my THN bookmark (didn't use it much anyway, but still... I'll show them!).
Lumbergh
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 pm

+1
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 am

Where's TK?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:52 am

TK is right here. She looooooves the taint.

http://www.tawny-kitaen.com/
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:55 am

purelebo84 wrote:Where's TK?

He got a job at Duquesne Light.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby letsgoalpens on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 am

I like how he is "only 27" and has a lot of upside. I know 27 is not exactly old but it is also not exactly young either. I'm not sure how much more developing Taffe is going to do but this writer appears to think quite a bit.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OneTimer on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:39 pm

The TIOPS- and Taffe-love are ridiculous, but I think that line-up is fairly close. I would rather see Staal with Crosby, though.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:11 am

OneTimer wrote:The TIOPS- and Taffe-love are ridiculous, but I think that line-up is fairly close. I would rather see Staal with Crosby, though.

i'd rather see him with malkin. for some reason, it seems like players mesh quicker with malkin than they do with crosby. maybe geno's easier to predict on the ice. staal's still developing so i'd rather see him with the guy who won't confuse him as much.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins