Sportsnet columnist says Pens will struggle to make playoffs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:56 pm

If they miss the playoffs, it will save me a ton of money on tickets.

Surround Sound, here I come.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

I think it would take quite a collapse for them to not make the playoffs. One thing I agree with about that article, though, if they don't make it, Therian will certainly be on the hot seat. But it seems to me that another year of experience for Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will offset the losses they had in free agency. So, I predict the Pens will finish anywhere from 2nd-5th in the East.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:41 pm

therock48880 wrote:I think it would take quite a collapse for them to not make the playoffs. One thing I agree with about that article, though, if they don't make it, Therian will certainly be on the hot seat. But it seems to me that another year of experience for Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will offset the losses they had in free agency. So, I predict the Pens will finish anywhere from 2nd-5th in the East.

That's the part that I don't understand. They say we lost all of these players, but they refuse to acknowledge that we picked up some good ones, and our core players now have the deep playoff experience, and one more year of experience.

Unlike most teams, the Pens are loaded from within and only need to fill their role players, not add any "core" players through free agency.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:12 pm

newarenanow wrote:
therock48880 wrote:I think it would take quite a collapse for them to not make the playoffs. One thing I agree with about that article, though, if they don't make it, Therian will certainly be on the hot seat. But it seems to me that another year of experience for Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will offset the losses they had in free agency. So, I predict the Pens will finish anywhere from 2nd-5th in the East.

That's the part that I don't understand. They say we lost all of these players, but they refuse to acknowledge that we picked up some good ones, and our core players now have the deep playoff experience, and one more year of experience.

Unlike most teams, the Pens are loaded from within and only need to fill their role players, not add any "core" players through free agency.

True. Here's the way I see it as an "outsider":

Lost BGL gained Goddard. Advantage BGL.
Lost Hossa gained Satan. Advantage Hossa
Lost Ruutu gained Cooke. Advantage Ruutu
Lost Roberts gained Fedotenko. Advantage Fedotenko
Lost Hall
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin

IF Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury stay healthy all season, those losses should be offset by their increase in experience. I can't see any way (other than injury) the Pens will be much different than they were last year.

I hope they stay healthy and make it to the finals. It's good for the game (and tv ratings) to have skilled teams like the Pens in the finals. When "goonish" teams (Ducks, for example) play in the finals, tv ratings suck.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:17 pm

I'd much rather have Cooke than Ruutu.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:19 pm

therock48880 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Lost Hall
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin

IF Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury stay healthy all season, those losses should be offset by their increase in experience. I can't see any way (other than injury) the Pens will be much different than they were last year.

I hope they stay healthy and make it to the finals. It's good for the game (and tv ratings) to have skilled teams like the Pens in the finals. When "goonish" teams (Ducks, for example) play in the finals, tv ratings suck.

If you are talking solely about playoff seeding, then:

they traded Ruutu for Cooke, more offense, less physical pressence. Cooke will be better used than Ruutu solely because he is more suited to be used in that way than Ruutu is.
They traded BGL for Godard, which is a downgrade in virtually every regard.
They traded about a month worth of hossa for Satan. Upgrade
Traded a half season of Roberts for Fedetenko. Upgrade
Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Jesse wrote:I'd much rather have Cooke than Ruutu.

Agreed...Out of all the UFA's the pens signed. I was the most excited about Cooke...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 pm

KG wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'd much rather have Cooke than Ruutu.

Agreed...Out of all the UFA's the pens signed. I was the most excited about Cooke...

Why? I've watched him for years and he's never done anything that would make me want him on my team. He's not even a very effective pest. At least Ruutu could throw people off their game by agitating. Cooke isn't nearly as effective as Ruutu at doing that.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Lost Hall
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin

they traded Ruutu for Cooke, more offense, less physical pressence. Cooke will be better used than Ruutu solely because he is more suited to be used in that way than Ruutu is.
Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill

Interesting way of looking at the Hossa situation. I was looking at it from the perspective of Hossa was the best player the Pens had in the finals. It got to the point, as a Wings fan, that I began looking for number 18 on the ice. I wasn't as worried about Crosby and Malkin as I was Hossa. The Wings didn't have an answer for him and never have his entire career. The guy has lit up Detroit for as long as I can remember.

Make no mistake, I'm not slamming the Pens at all. Some Pens fans seem a little sensitive about negative comments about their team. I think the Pens will be as good, if not a little better, than they were last year.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:30 pm

therock48880 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Lost Hall
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin

Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill

Interesting way of looking at the Hossa situation. I was looking at it from the perspective of Hossa was the best player the Pens had in the finals. It got to the point, as a Wings fan, that I began looking for number 18 on the ice. I wasn't as worried about Crosby and Malkin as I was Hossa. The Wings didn't have an answer for him and never have his entire career. The guy has lit up Detroit for as long as I can remember.

Make no mistake, I'm not slamming the Pens at all. Some Pens fans seem a little sensitive about negative comments about their team. I think the Pens will be as good, if not a little better, than they were last year.

What do the finals have to do with this conversation?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Lost Hall
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin

Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill

Why wouldn't the Finals count when talking about last year's Pens team?
Last edited by therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Penguin fans are ultra unique in being sensitive about negative comments~ :roll:

Q- And how often do you think Hossa can be the best player
on the ice with detroit? (regular season)
A- ??
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:39 pm

penny lane wrote:Penguin fans are ultra unique in being sensitive about negative comments~ :roll:

A- ??

What does that have to do with the topic of this conversation? j/k

He'll be their best player about as much as anyone else is, that's my guess. Less than Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but probably in the category of Franzen and other second line players.

Back to Cooke, he'll help offset the loss of Hossa because he's a great penalty killer. He's all over the ice on the pk. That's the only nice thing I can say about him. :)
Last edited by therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:39 pm

therock48880 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:Interesting way of looking at the Hossa situation. I was looking at it from the perspective of Hossa was the best player the Pens had in the finals. It got to the point, as a Wings fan, that I began looking for number 18 on the ice. I wasn't as worried about Crosby and Malkin as I was Hossa. The Wings didn't have an answer for him and never have his entire career. The guy has lit up Detroit for as long as I can remember.

Thats why, it has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Also:

Idoit40fans wrote:If you are talking solely about playoff seeding, then:

Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby emptyfriend on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 pm

penny lane wrote:Penguin fans are ultra unique in being sensitive about negative comments~ :roll:

A- ??

A- VERY OFTEN......Hossa proved by leaving the Pens for the Wings that he is ULTRA intent on winning the Cup next season (if you believe like him that the Wings have the best chance of winning the Cup.) If he stays healthy, Hossa is going to play like a man possessed next season, putting up Hart like numbers.....Sucks it's gonna be in Detroit, but he will.....
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:Interesting way of looking at the Hossa situation. I was looking at it from the perspective of Hossa was the best player the Pens had in the finals. It got to the point, as a Wings fan, that I began looking for number 18 on the ice. I wasn't as worried about Crosby and Malkin as I was Hossa. The Wings didn't have an answer for him and never have his entire career. The guy has lit up Detroit for as long as I can remember.

Thats why, it has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Also:

Idoit40fans wrote:If you are talking solely about playoff seeding, then:

Hall for Dupuis. Upgrade
Lost Malone
Lost Conklin
Gained Gill

Maybe you're just overthinking this or something. I'm saying they will be as good as last year due to the growth and maturation of their young stars. Since they made it to the SCF last year, that would be a good thing. I get the impression you're trying to argue with me when in actuality, I'm defending the Pens. This goes back to that "sensitive" comment I made a few posts back.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:44 pm

No maybe you are not paying attention to what is being said. The discussion was about whether they would make the playoffs or not and where they would be seeded. I'm pretty sure that all occurs before the playoffs start. None of the players they acquired at the deadline affected their playoff seed.

You can call the penguins the worst team in hockey for all I care, I have a serious problem with people arguing about something that is irrelevant to what I'm saying though.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

emptyfriend wrote:

A- ??

A- VERY OFTEN......Hossa proved by leaving the Pens for the Wings that he is ULTRA intent on winning the Cup next season (if you believe like him that the Wings have the best chance of winning the Cup.) If he stays healthy, Hossa is going to play like a man possessed next season, putting up Hart like numbers.....Sucks it's gonna be in Detroit, but he will.....

I hope you're right. :D
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

emptyfriend wrote:

A- ??

I don't necessarily agree with that. He may do that, but he may also see himself on a well-balanced, deep team that just won the Cup without his services. I don't know Hossa's personalty well enough to make an accurate prediction, but I've seen many players take less money for a chance at the Cup, then play just like normal. And, for the record, Hossa passing up a long-term deal with the Penguins means nothing, as he'll likely get offered the same or more next summer by someone, somewhere.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:No maybe you are not paying attention to what is being said. The discussion was about whether they would make the playoffs or not and where they would be seeded. I'm pretty sure that all occurs before the playoffs start. None of the players they acquired at the deadline affected their playoff seed.

You can call the penguins the worst team in hockey for all I care, I have a serious problem with people arguing about something that is irrelevant to what I'm saying tthough.

OMG, read what I've written in previous posts. If I REPEATEDLY keep saying they will be as good as last year, wouldn't that imply that they will probably make the playoffs? Not to mention, the post where I predicted they'd finish 2nd-5th in the east depending on health. Feel like arguing much?
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:48 pm

Defence21 wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:

A- ??

I don't necessarily agree with that. He may do that, but he may also see himself on a well-balanced, deep team that just won the Cup without his services. I don't know Hossa's personalty well enough to make an accurate prediction, but I've seen many players take less money for a chance at the Cup, then play just like normal. And, for the record, Hossa passing up a long-term deal with the Penguins means nothing, as he'll likely get offered the same or more next summer by someone, somewhere.

Considering his regular season last season, he has a great chance to get better offers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:50 pm

therock48880 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No maybe you are not paying attention to what is being said. The discussion was about whether they would make the playoffs or not and where they would be seeded. I'm pretty sure that all occurs before the playoffs start. None of the players they acquired at the deadline affected their playoff seed.

You can call the penguins the worst team in hockey for all I care, I have a serious problem with people arguing about something that is irrelevant to what I'm saying tthough.

OMG, read what I've written in previous posts. If I REPEATEDLY keep saying they will be as good as last year, wouldn't that imply that they will probably make the playoffs? Not to mention, the post where I predicted they'd finish 2nd-5th in the east depending on health. Feel like arguing much?

You clearly wanted to start the argument, let me post the first line of my post that you responded to and see if it was relevant to what I was saying:

There is absolutely no other way to look at "the hossa situation" if you are discussing the regular season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
therock48880 wrote:

You clearly wanted to start the argument, let me post the first line of my post that you responded to and see if it was relevant to what I was saying:

There is absolutely no other way to look at "the hossa situation" if you are discussing the regular season.

I give up.

I'm very sorry for saying that the Pens will not only make the playoffs but should make it to the SCF. I guess that strayed off topic in your mind. :roll: I even predicted where they'd be seeded.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:58 pm

You really are good at fabricating responses to suit yourself aren't you?

All I said was that in the regular season, Satan will be far more valuable than Hossa was because they will in fact have him for an entire season. Its so incredibly simple that I don't understand how you can't wrap your head around it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:You really are good at fabricating responses to suit yourself aren't you?

All I said was that in the regular season, Satan will be far more valuable than Hossa was because they will in fact have him for an entire season. Its so incredibly simple that I don't understand how you can't wrap your head around it.

I was confused reading the exchange between the two of you because I thought that was your point but his responses had nothing to do with it and I began to wonder if I was losing my mind. :shock:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins