Sportsnet columnist says Pens will struggle to make playoffs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:02 pm

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:You really are good at fabricating responses to suit yourself aren't you?

All I said was that in the regular season, Satan will be far more valuable than Hossa was because they will in fact have him for an entire season. Its so incredibly simple that I don't understand how you can't wrap your head around it.

I was confused reading the exchange between the two of you because I thought that was your point but his responses had nothing to do with it and I began to wonder if I was losing my mind. :shock:

I really thought I was too. I found myself reading what I was saying over and over again but it kept looking the same to me. I'm glad someone confirmed that it came across the way I intended for it to come across.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:07 pm

These are all posts I've made in this thread. Where's the fabrication?

"But it seems to me that another year of experience for Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will offset the losses they had in free agency. So, I predict the Pens will finish anywhere from 2nd-5th in the East."

"IF Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury stay healthy all season, those losses should be offset by their increase in experience. I can't see any way (other than injury) the Pens will be much different than they were last year.

I hope they stay healthy and make it to the finals. It's good for the game (and tv ratings) to have skilled teams like the Pens in the finals. When "goonish" teams (Ducks, for example) play in the finals, tv ratings suck."

And this is the main quote that seems to have started the confusion:

"Interesting way of looking at the Hossa situation." I guess I should have clarified. I simply looked at it as Hossa being better than Satan. But when you factor in that Satan will be there for a full season, you're probably right.

However, I haven't "fabricated" anything. I think the Pens will be the same as last year, probably make it to the SCF, and the author of the sportsnet article is wrong.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jimmy Straka on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Somehow I'm not that worried
Jimmy Straka

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

emptyfriend wrote:
penny lane wrote:Penguin fans are ultra unique in being sensitive about negative comments~ :roll:

Q- And how often do you think Hossa can be the best player
on the ice with detroit? (regular season)
A- ??

A- VERY OFTEN......Hossa proved by leaving the Pens for the Wings that he is ULTRA intent on winning the Cup next season (if you believe like him that the Wings have the best chance of winning the Cup.) If he stays healthy, Hossa is going to play like a man possessed next season, putting up Hart like numbers.....Sucks it's gonna be in Detroit, but he will.....

Hossa ranked on the wings could be 5-10 after lidstrom, datsuyk, zetterberg, kronwell, franzen even after holmstrom...
they have ice time to manage in detroit~ we'll see how that goes and how hossa likes it.

I'll take a highly motivated Sidney~ always.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby therock48880 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:31 pm

penny lane wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:
penny lane wrote:Penguin fans are ultra unique in being sensitive about negative comments~ :roll:

A- ??

A- VERY OFTEN......Hossa proved by leaving the Pens for the Wings that he is ULTRA intent on winning the Cup next season (if you believe like him that the Wings have the best chance of winning the Cup.) If he stays healthy, Hossa is going to play like a man possessed next season, putting up Hart like numbers.....Sucks it's gonna be in Detroit, but he will.....

Hossa ranked on the wings could be 5-10 after lidstrom, datsuyk, zetterberg, kronwell, franzen even after holmstrom...
they have ice time to manage in detroit~ we'll see how that goes and how hossa likes it.

Hossa's minutes will be solid. Ice time won't be a problem as Babcock likes to play his best players the most. Especially since Hossa is adept on the PK and the power play. It's not uncommon to see the fourth liners get little or no time at all in the final period of a close game.

You bring up Franzen and he's an interesting case. Up until Holmstrom got hurt, Franzen was having an average year. He was never known as a scorer but was playing solid d on the third line. When Holmstrom went down, Franzen exploded. Throughout his career he had never been much of a scorer so the explosion was unexpected, to say the least. It'll be interesting to see this year if he can score like he did last year or if he reverts back to being a checking center.

I have a Pens question, and this is not meant to be offensive if anyone views it that way. Why didn't Crosby and Malkin get more ice time during the finals. I remember the VS crew bringing up that point and I never really heard a logical answer from them (the word "logical" and the VS crew are oxymorons). I know the fact that they weren't used on the PK had a little to do with it but it's not like there was a steady parade of players to the penalty box. It seems like those guys could have been double shifted as the series grew more intense, especially in Pitt when the Pens had last change. I'd be interested to hear your points of view since you know much more about the situation than I do. I'd read that Malkin was hurt and that may have had something to do with it, but why on earth wasn't Crosby on the ice more?
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Therrien has confidence in his players up and down the lineup. Probably why Talbot was out there at the end of the third in game 5.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 pm

shmenguin wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
The Devils will still be very good.

the devils were very good last year? :shock:

...the flyers are worse. the rags are, at best, the same, the devils are going nowhere with those players and the islanders are the islanders.

the division is still ours for a lot of reasons

They were only 3 points behind the Penguins last season. I guess you think the Pens were not good last season either? Who was any good in your mind? lol
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby DayWalker on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm

What is the over/under on the number of games until Miroslav Satan is benched/scratched by Therrien for dog-like play on the ice?

That might give us some insight into what to expect from the Penguins this season...

I have been underwhelmed by their offseason to date, and given the parity that reigns in the NHL these days (especially given the manner in which points are allotted), I could see the Penguins finishing anywhere between #1 and #10 in the East. I was wrong in predicting how the Penguins would finish two seasons ago, and was surprised (honestly) by how far such a comparatively young team went last season, but as of right now, I don't have a great feeling about this upcoming season...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah, it is pretty hard to feel good about the penguins situation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DayWalker on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, it is pretty hard to feel good about the penguins situation.

Long-term? Sure, I feel good, I feel great. Next season? Not so sure.

I think the team lost a lot this offseason and didn't do enough (yet) to replace what was lost...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Its without question better than it was going into last season, they have some flexibility to make a move at the deadline if they feel the need to do so.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm

I can honestly say that I'm comfortable about what the Pens have done this offseason. There was only so much they could do, and Shero did an amazing job with what he had to work with. Bring on the season, I say.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm

IrishEyes wrote:I can honestly say that I'm comfortable about what the Pens have done this offseason. There was only so much they could do, and Shero did an amazing job with what he had to work with. Bring on the season, I say.

samesies
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm

IrishEyes wrote:I can honestly say that I'm comfortable about what the Pens have done this offseason. There was only so much they could do, and Shero did an amazing job with what he had to work with. Bring on the season, I say.

Well put. I feel comfortable in the fact that the team going into this season is better than the team that started last season. What else can you ask for, really?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

meow wrote:

Well put. I feel comfortable in the fact that the team going into this season is better than the team that started last season. What else can you ask for, really?

Crosby and Malkin to each play 82 games during the regular season. Well maybe 81 depending on the situation going into the last couple games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

Crosby and Malkin to each play 82 games during the regular season. Well maybe 81 depending on the situation going into the last couple games.

Geno played every game last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he did.

If Sid could do that, too... damn, that'd be awesome.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

Geno played every game last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he did.

Yeah i'm almost positive that Malkin played all of them, really i'll settle for neither of them having a significant injury. If each only plays 78 or so games I'll be thrilled as long as nothing is lingering come playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

Yes, Malkin played every game for the Pens. He was our "iron man".
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Its without question better than it was going into last season, they have some flexibility to make a move at the deadline if they feel the need to do so.

It may be better than the team going into last season, but I am unconvinced that team could have gotten past the second round of the playoffs, so I am not sure that is saying much...

Obviously, given the number of free agents this team had to deal with this summer, including a high-profile rental player coveted by so many other teams, there was every reason to believe the team suiting up in Sweden in little over a month was going to be different from-and inferior to-the team that wrapped up play June 4. However, I still am not that impressed by what Shero did this past offseason, even if I am still okay with a potential step backwards this offseason. Great teams/franchises/dynasties sometimes take that little step back before they take that final step forward. This is why I am thrilled with their long-term future, even if I am not with the potential for this roster going into the 2008-2009 season.

The other potential problem I have is that, even though the team gave up comparatively little in the deal with the Thrashers last February, those players were, essentially, the only realistic chips the team had to move to upgrade the roster. This unfortunate fact underlines the absolute dearth of depth in the organization, something I am hoping Shero and his team can remedy sooner rather than later. Because of that, I am not sure what the team will realistically be able to do at trade deadline if the team needs that boost to either get over the top again in the East or, perhaps more likely, secure one of the final playoff spots. A Staal, Whitney, or some player we are not thinking of may be the linchpin in that kind of deal, but that would likely requiring excising something valuable from the roster, something that didn't happen with the flotsam they shipped out last February...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 pm

This.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 am

DayWalker wrote:It may be better than the team going into last season, but I am unconvinced that team could have gotten past the second round of the playoffs, so I am not sure that is saying much...

So the team without Dupuis and Hossa but still having EC and Army would have not beat the Rags? That's absurd.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 am

therock48880 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:

A- ??

Hossa's minutes will be solid. Ice time won't be a problem as Babcock likes to play his best players the most. Especially since Hossa is adept on the PK and the power play. It's not uncommon to see the fourth liners get little or no time at all in the final period of a close game.

You bring up Franzen and he's an interesting case. Up until Holmstrom got hurt, Franzen was having an average year. He was never known as a scorer but was playing solid d on the third line. When Holmstrom went down, Franzen exploded. Throughout his career he had never been much of a scorer so the explosion was unexpected, to say the least. It'll be interesting to see this year if he can score like he did last year or if he reverts back to being a checking center.

I have a Pens question, and this is not meant to be offensive if anyone views it that way. Why didn't Crosby and Malkin get more ice time during the finals. I remember the VS crew bringing up that point and I never really heard a logical answer from them (the word "logical" and the VS crew are oxymorons). I know the fact that they weren't used on the PK had a little to do with it but it's not like there was a steady parade of players to the penalty box. It seems like those guys could have been double shifted as the series grew more intense, especially in Pitt when the Pens had last change. I'd be interested to hear your points of view since you know much more about the situation than I do. I'd read that Malkin was hurt and that may have had something to do with it, but why on earth wasn't Crosby on the ice more?

Sidney's ice time always has been questioned. I think Sid wants to be on the ice in all critical times of a game. BUT, you have to think last year he was still playing at maybe 85% with high ankle. Evgeni too needs to be played more on the PK. With malone gone from the PK duties I expect both Geno's and Sid's time to increase through all facets.
Therrien will have to expand their roles while getting Jordan into the mix too.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 am

shmenguin wrote:

...the flyers are worse. the rags are, at best, the same, the devils are going nowhere with those players and the islanders are the islanders.

They were only 3 points behind the Penguins last season. I guess you think the Pens were not good last season either? Who was any good in your mind? lol

a) any team that lays that kind of egg down the stretch and into the playoffs is not a team i'd call "very good". good? sure. very good? please.

b) if you watched the devils play last year with your own eyes, i don't know how you can consider them "very good". they were 3 points behind us. recchi had 68 points a couple of years ago. box scores dont always tell the story.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 am

I think the Devils are a very good team, but are on the decline.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:28 pm

shmenguin wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

a) any team that lays that kind of egg down the stretch and into the playoffs is not a team i'd call "very good". good? sure. very good? please.

b) if you watched the devils play last year with your own eyes, i don't know how you can consider them "very good". they were 3 points behind us. recchi had 68 points a couple of years ago. box scores dont always tell the story.

They nearly ran away with the ECC early in the season, so much in fact that they could coast and still end up in the top 4. The title of the thread isn't "Who do you think will finish the season the strongest?" it's more about who will get in and who wont. When the playoff starts nobody gives a **** about how many points Recchi scored last season or whatever other retarded thought crosses your mind.

A. 2nd best defense in the EC. They will be in the top 3 once again.

B. Best goalie in the game. Guess what, he is still a NJ Devil.

C. One of the best teams in the league with a lead, that wont change.

D. One of the most disciplined team in the league. Not going to change.

All they have to do to improve upon their 99 point season and become a greater playoff threat is to implement a better power play. If they do that they might "suck" all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. Welcome to the new trap/PP age newbie. Very good teams do that. Just like the Pens and the don't call it a trap, it's a LW lock Red Wings.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins