Sportsnet columnist says Pens will struggle to make playoffs

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 pm

thanks for that, soccermom. i slept through my "D-bag 101" class this morning and i should be all caught up now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cs6687 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:18 pm

The Devils defense system is good. There talent is average. Paul Martin is not a number one defenseman. Neither is Colin White or Bryce Salvador. The Devils need to score more if they want to get better. That is a big question for them.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:20 pm

While struggling isn't impossible for the Pens, they're a much better team going into this year than TB was going into last year.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:thanks for that, soccermom. i slept through my "D-bag 101" class this morning and i should be all caught up now.

YOU'RE WELCOME "retardmom". That shouldn't upset you since you haver initiated the ageless ritual of morons who are wrong from birth: name calling.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby emptyfriend on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:29 pm

WWGRD wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:I can honestly say that I'm comfortable about what the Pens have done this offseason. There was only so much they could do, and Shero did an amazing job with what he had to work with. Bring on the season, I say.

Well put. I feel comfortable in the fact that the team going into this season is better than the team that started last season. What else can you ask for, really?

Crosby and Malkin to each play 82 games during the regular season. Well maybe 81 depending on the situation going into the last couple games.

Geno played every game last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he did.

If Sid could do that, too... damn, that'd be awesome.

Yes, Malkin played every game for the Pens. He was our "iron man".

I'd rather heve him miss a few this season and not hit the wall and disappear in the SCF.....
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm

emptyfriend wrote:
WWGRD wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:I can honestly say that I'm comfortable about what the Pens have done this offseason. There was only so much they could do, and Shero did an amazing job with what he had to work with. Bring on the season, I say.

Well put. I feel comfortable in the fact that the team going into this season is better than the team that started last season. What else can you ask for, really?

Crosby and Malkin to each play 82 games during the regular season. Well maybe 81 depending on the situation going into the last couple games.

Geno played every game last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he did.

I'd rather heve him miss a few this season and not hit the wall and disappear in the SCF.....

He seemed fine physically, a lot of people think players are tired or arent trying hard when they don't play their best or get the results. Malkin's problems were all cerebral. To me, it was that untimly giveaway too Richards that really rattled him and had him second guessing everything he does on the power play. He never ran the point in his life until Hossa came here, and the coaches should have picked up on that quicker. When they finally did put him back down low he was just fine again, despite the bruised ribs or whatever.

It's also worth noting that Malkin only went 4 games in a row without a point. Crosby went scoreless in THREE of those four games as well, and he had the Whore on his line. Strange how nobody rags on Crsoby like they do Geno--the guy who carried the team for half the season and the first 2+ rounds of the playoffs.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby mjg on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:04 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:
WWGRD wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

He seemed fine physically, a lot of people think players are tired or arent trying hard when they don't play their best or get the results. Malkin's problems were all cerebral. To me, it was that untimly giveaway too Richards that really rattled him and had him second guessing everything he does on the power play. He never ran the point in his life until Hossa came here, and the coaches should have picked up on that quicker. When they finally did put him back down low he was just fine again, despite the bruised ribs or whatever.

It's also worth noting that Malkin only went 4 games in a row without a point. Crosby went scoreless in THREE of those four games as well, and he had the Whore on his line. Strange how nobody rags on Crsoby like they do Geno--the guy who carried the team for half the season and the first 2+ rounds of the playoffs.

I thought Malkin's problem was that his shoulder got F'd up in game 2 against the Flyers. Maybe I missed a more recent diagnosis.

As far as toughness goes, losing Roberts is a was because Gill showed up after Roberts was done for the regular season. Cooke replaces Ruutu, Godard replaces BGL. Who's left? Malone? Stone could take that spot. And who was Detroit's big enforcer anyway?

Hossa leaving creates a hole? Not on offense. We could have 6 or 7 guys score 20 goals this year. Defensively perhaps, but Staal could get more minutes and he's a pretty fair defensive player too.

What about Crosby and MAF not missing a third of the season? That might help (although Conklin and Malkin seemed to flourish during those missed games).

What about the concept of the young players having a ton more confidence and determination this year after coming within two W's of hockey immortality?

Mark my words, the collection of little things - the intangibles I'm talking about will make a huge difference this season.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins