LGP.com needs a "New Arena" Forum

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:We should create a random insanity forum. Just have the posts not add to your post count. I would live there with my inane ramblings.


We already do. It's called the Test forum.


I know, and thats pretty much what I use it for, but no one reads it, which disappoints me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Ron` on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 pm

canaan wrote:
Ron` wrote:Sorry to be a poop.


don't worry, we're used to it. :wink:
Pwnd
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Postby newarenanow on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:We should create a random insanity forum. Just have the posts not add to your post count. I would live there with my inane ramblings.


We already do. It's called the Test forum.


I know, and thats pretty much what I use it for, but no one reads it, which disappoints me.


I read it. I just refuse to answer. (Unless if it is werewolf related).
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:38 am

Bathgate wrote:Let's say someone finds a URL to a site that contains the most update, detailed floor plans for the arena. He posts it in a new thread in the LGP.com general forum. A few of us get to study these plans and learn a lot more interesting details about the new arena. After a while, the thread sinks below the first page of threads. At that time, it is unlikely that anybody else will "discover" this thread and get to review the floor plans. If there was a separate forum for new-arena stuff, this thread would probably remain prominent.

Having one more or a few more LGP.com forums about certain definable aspects of the Penguins' operations and fandom could only be helpful, not harmful.


If something exciting comes up, it will stay at or near the top for a while where everyone can read it. Anybody else would be new or doesnt log in very frequently at all - by then "new" floor plans would be old news and probably seen on a bunch of different sites. If not, I know when I have been gone a while and I know something is out there I either wont care that I missed it, or I will do a search (or go back and see what I missed) to find what I want.

I think there are too many forums already.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Postby newarenanow on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 am

Bathgate wrote:Let's say someone finds a URL to a site that contains the most update, detailed floor plans for the arena. He posts it in a new thread in the LGP.com general forum. A few of us get to study these plans and learn a lot more interesting details about the new arena. After a while, the thread sinks below the first page of threads. At that time, it is unlikely that anybody else will "discover" this thread and get to review the floor plans. If there was a separate forum for new-arena stuff, this thread would probably remain prominent.

Having one more or a few more LGP.com forums about certain definable aspects of the Penguins' operations and fandom could only be helpful, not harmful.


If it is really that interesting, it will be up top for a long time.

If not, it can easily be found on the internet if someone really wanted it.

The arena forum would only have like 5-10 threads in it since the negotiations are over. Not worth it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby Three Stars on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 am

People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,575
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Postby newarenanow on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:41 am

Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


You are correct that people would still post all of the arena realted news in the Pens related forum. So there is really no need.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am

Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


What about Arena Football?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,571
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Postby bhaw on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:47 am

newarenanow wrote:
Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


You are correct that people would still post all of the arena realted news in the Pens related forum. So there is really no need.


If you've been to other boards that have a lot of different forums, it's is totally messy and hard to find what you're looking for. Simplicity helps make this board much more enjoyable to deal with.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby newarenanow on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:54 am

bhaw wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


You are correct that people would still post all of the arena realted news in the Pens related forum. So there is really no need.


If you've been to other boards that have a lot of different forums, it's is totally messy and hard to find what you're looking for. Simplicity helps make this board much more enjoyable to deal with.


Agreed. On Rivals, some schools sites have multiple forums, so it discourages people to figure out where to post, so they just throw all of their topics into the same forum, defeating the whole purpose of different forums.

I like how it is set up here. No need to complicate things further. Like 3 stars said, some people can't even get the concept of Pens, NPR, and NHR.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby canaan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 am

Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


this post is full of win.

:standing ovation:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,777
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Postby Bathgate on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:25 pm

It's obvious most don't agree with me and that the administrator won't change the site, but I wish to make another analogy for the fun of it. It's like filing papers and then being able to retrieve them easily. If you file all your stuff in one folder, it will grow into a monster and it will take time and frustration when you want to find an old entry of current interest. That's why we all create multiple folders in our file drawer. I see having more forums as the same as creating more file folders.

I think there should also be a forum for those interested in travel to out-of-town Pens games. I see threads posted on that subject that disappear quickly because not that many people can travel to one particular game. It must be frustrating to the poster who really wants to connect with others who might want to meet up.

LGP.com is set up for just the hot topics of the day and nothing more. I can live with that and will enjoy.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Bathgate wrote:It's obvious most don't agree with me and that the administrator won't change the site, but I wish to make another analogy for the fun of it. It's like filing papers and then being able to retrieve them easily. If you file all your stuff in one folder, it will grow into a monster and it will take time and frustration when you want to find an old entry of current interest. That's why we all create multiple folders in our file drawer. I see having more forums as the same as creating more file folders.


If you file you stuff into too many folders you find yourself having just as much trouble finding the right folder as you would have had finding the file. It goes both ways.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,230
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby wallflower on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:55 pm

All message boards (assuming there are other boards :wink: ) are mostly geared to the "hot topics of the day" because those are things that most people want to talk/read about. Old threads (weeks, months, sometimes years old) get bumped up all the time because most people use the search function when they're looking to find something.

It's been shown time and time again that having separate forums for different things already doesn't work to put topics "in their places" as most things (even things that are blatantly not Penguins related) get posted in the Penguins forum anyway. The Penguins affiliates forum barely gets use as it is, I think a forum dedicated soley to arena news would get even less traffic/use as every time there is new arena news, it gets posted in the main forum. Mostly a new forum would just create more duplicate threads/posts.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby bhaw on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I goes both ways.


o rly? :lol:

If you file you stuff into too many folders you find yourself having just as much trouble finding the right folder as you would have had finding the file.


Agreed. As I said... I have been to other boards (that only exist in my head) that have a different forum for each topic. It's very hard to find what you are looking for.

Simplicity.

This filing cabinet has a search tool.
Last edited by bhaw on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby Kicksave on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am

credit:canaan

Image
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Kicksave wrote:credit:canaan

Image


Ha! That is funny.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby canaan on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:54 am

Kicksave wrote:credit:canaan


much obliged. 8-)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,777
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Postby Eismann on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:23 am

Three Stars wrote:People aren't...gifted enough to figure out the difference between Pens-related, NPR and NHR, and now you want another forum?

I'll only support an Arena forum if it also allows talk about Gilbert Arenas, Bruce Arena, and the Star Trek episode "Arena" with the giant lizard man.


Or the board on Wizard of Wor that has no walls.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,459
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: npv708 and 10 guests

e-mail