Sabu one of the worst...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby André on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
André wrote:Sad part is I'd do it only for NHL. I'm a PC gamer and spend money on new hardware every 2 years.

The next gen version must hit the PC soon or I'll start a rally to protest outside EA's offices.

That said we're not getting it this year....

Yep, that has been officially confirmed over on the EA NHL forums. I've been reading that the release date is now the end of October, not early September like the consoles. I can't confirm that.

I'm not sure I want to pay for 2006 (again) with new rosters. They can't even get those right half the time.

07, 07, 08 and now 09. The same game four years straight. Also 06 is the worst NHL ever by EA (and 09 will be the 16th game) when looking at the menues. The stat lists show 8 names per box, one has to scroll after that. Same with the standings. The box used for those screens is one fourth of the screen. The line changing menu is even worse, by far the worst ever. 4 seperate boxes that one has to scroll between with the keyboard or gamepad (no mouse cursor). One highlights a player then gets a list of the roster, scrolls down to the replacement and clicks again. That'll replace the player one first highlighed but not make the replacement automaticly switch place with the guy you replaced. Everything takes forever.

In NHL 93. Yes, 93 they had 12 sweaters for skaters and 6 for defeseman clearly ordered after lines and pairings with the whole roster in a list to the right and one could just drag names from that list to whatever position one wanted that player. Why keep doing something that was great? Naaah, let's **** up, and 16 years later do something stupid, idiotic and alot worse, and than repeat that for four years straight! Yeah, that'd be swell.

Funny thing is how the gaming media didn't react to this until last year. EA shipped the same game for three years straight (except some minor, minor changes) before the grades went down. Kind of funny since for example Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 got a low grade bacause it was so similiar to the first part. EA must pay IGN and whoever.

Also love how they hype an old feature as something new. "This year we've got the revolutiory skill stick!" which in the pc version meant controlling the stick sideways which was there already on nhl 04 I think. This even on the next gen version for 07, the stick was nothing more than that.

Not to mention the PC is the best platform for modders and an online community, is also has the best avaiable hardware. Bah.

I've ranted about this before but it's so frustrating I can't resist :twisted:
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 pm

canaan wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
Jimmy Straka wrote:video games are a waste of time and money.

We all can't be youtube stars, like you.

pwnt

:D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jimmy Straka on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 pm

André wrote:
canaan wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

pwnt

yeah but you guys are LGP stars, you have mad posts...
Jimmy Straka

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:01 pm

André wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
André wrote:Sad part is I'd do it only for NHL. I'm a PC gamer and spend money on new hardware every 2 years.

The next gen version must hit the PC soon or I'll start a rally to protest outside EA's offices.

Yep, that has been officially confirmed over on the EA NHL forums. I've been reading that the release date is now the end of October, not early September like the consoles. I can't confirm that.

I'm not sure I want to pay for 2006 (again) with new rosters. They can't even get those right half the time.

07, 07, 08 and now 09. The same game four years straight. Also 06 is the worst NHL ever by EA (and 09 will be the 16th game) when looking at the menues. The stat lists show 8 names per box, one has to scroll after that. Same with the standings. The box used for those screens is one fourth of the screen. The line changing menu is even worse, by far the worst ever. 4 seperate boxes that one has to scroll between with the keyboard or gamepad (no mouse cursor). One highlights a player then gets a list of the roster, scrolls down to the replacement and clicks again. That'll replace the player one first highlighed but not make the replacement automaticly switch place with the guy you replaced. Everything takes forever.

In NHL 93. Yes, 93 they had 12 sweaters for skaters and 6 for defeseman clearly ordered after lines and pairings with the whole roster in a list to the right and one could just drag names from that list to whatever position one wanted that player. Why keep doing something that was great? Naaah, let's **** up, and 16 years later do something stupid, idiotic and alot worse, and than repeat that for four years straight! Yeah, that'd be swell.

Funny thing is how the gaming media didn't react to this until last year. EA shipped the same game for three years straight (except some minor, minor changes) before the grades went down. Kind of funny since for example Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 got a low grade bacause it was so similiar to the first part. EA must pay IGN and whoever.

Also love how they hype an old feature as something new. "This year we've got the revolutiory skill stick!" which in the pc version meant controlling the stick sideways which was there already on nhl 04 I think. This even on the next gen version for 07, the stick was nothing more than that.

Not to mention the PC is the best platform for modders and an online community, is also has the best avaiable hardware. Bah.

Preaching to the choir, my Swedish friend. The mods are unreal for the PC game -- complete goal horns, the real Mellon Arena, updated rosters...

The president of EA Sports basically threw PC gamers under the proverbial bus in a recent interview, blaming piracy for the lack of development for PC titles (beyond the NHL series, too). He says the consoles are "lean back" experiences while PC sports games are "lean in" whatever the hell that means.

At least they don't charge us $60 for it. :evil:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Jimmy Straka wrote:
André wrote:
canaan wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

pwnt

for realz. 8-) us non-yutube starz have to protect our fort. 8-) you and chocolate rain need to rep your fort better. :)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:18 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
André wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Preaching to the choir, my Swedish friend. The mods are unreal for the PC game -- complete goal horns, the real Mellon Arena, updated rosters...

The president of EA Sports basically threw PC gamers under the proverbial bus in a recent interview, blaming piracy for the lack of development for PC titles (beyond the NHL series, too). He says the consoles are "lean back" experiences while PC sports games are "lean in" whatever the hell that means.

At least they don't charge us $60 for it. :evil:

He said that? That's it, I'm buying a 360 just to pirate the game. Sure I guess piracy is not as wide spread among console users yet but that'll change in time.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 am

iEUX wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:I hope that's a typo in the game.

yeah dude, sabu is not going to show up with a 6. no way.

No one is going to show up with a "6" in anything. It is a simple typo.

MAF's rebound rating of 85 is off, unless they mean that 85% of the shots he faces will resault in a rebound...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PittPensFan on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Jim wrote:
iEUX wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:I hope that's a typo in the game.

yeah dude, sabu is not going to show up with a 6. no way.

No one is going to show up with a "6" in anything. It is a simple typo.

MAF's rebound rating of 85 is off, unless they mean that 85% of the shots he faces will resault in a rebound...

Lather, rinse, repeat.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:13 pm

I don't put much stock in these things, Crosby and THORNTON, of all people, were snipers by default in the last few versions. They just pull stats and roles out of their poopers; anyone that is a halfway decent player and doesn't weigh 250 lbs. is a sniper.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 pm

canaan wrote:
Jimmy Straka wrote:
André wrote:
canaan wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

pwnt

for realz. 8-) us non-yutube starz have to protect our fort. 8-) you and chocolate rain need to rep your fort better. :)

I think I'm more of a youtube star than LGP star, as of now

not sure
Last edited by WWGRD on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Samsdog wrote:I don't put much stock in these things, Crosby and THORNTON, of all people, were snipers by default in the last few versions. They just pull stats and roles out of their poopers; anyone that is a halfway decent player and doesn't weigh 250 lbs. is a sniper.

Yeah shot accuracy and power overrides all other stats ind dealing out roles. So someone could be 99 in every stat except 85 in those two, and since those are high enough to make the person a sniper, they willl be a sniper.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins