Tampa Re-acquires 3rd round pick from Pens???

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tampa Re-acquires 3rd round pick from Pens???

Postby KG on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:57 am

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16589

Maybe we did get Jokinen (good prediction if true DP)
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:59 am

Hmm. I'll have to watch tsn for news of that, thats interesting.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 pm

If this is indeed true then Tampa is making a pitch at trying to sign Mezaros to an offersheet. If they offer what they are supposedly offering him, they would have to give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as compensation. Something they couldn't do without their 3rd.

Oh well... the Pens better get something good.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 pm

I was reading the comments for some LOLs and there's a Senators fan who should maybe work on their reading comprehension.

St.Louis would be amazing in Ottawa

Um, Tampa would be trading with the Pens, not the Senators (and I very highly doubt it'll involve St. Louis). :?
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 pm

There is some speculation that the Pens would be getting back a higher draft pick. I'd take that over Jokinen. He's just another fringe 2nd/3rd line type of player of which they already have a few. Having an extra second rounder would be a nice chip to have at the deadline.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 pm

St.Louis would be amazing in Ottawa

Lol. That's pretty good considering the article is about the Pens/Lightning. Unless he misread "Sens." That or he wants to move the Blues to the famed Canadian capital.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 pm

I doubt Tampa would trade a high pick to get a third rounder back, it makes no sense. Why trade a second round pick for a third? Probably a player, but I don't understand why Shero would add more salary when they're pressed against the cap. Ideas?
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Samsdog wrote:I doubt Tampa would trade a high pick to get a third rounder back, it makes no sense. Why trade a second round pick for a third? Probably a player, but I don't understand why Shero would add more salary when they're pressed against the cap. Ideas?

Because they must have their third round pick back to sign Mezsaros to an offer sheet. They're not in a position to bargain for a good deal. It's typical of what they've been doing lately but let's hope the Pens get lucky and benefit.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

If true my question is will the pens have a draft pick for the rest of the decade? This year really hurt not having a pick until round 4 and will rear its head eventually. I'd like to see RS hang on to picks going forward
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Ahh. got it. That makes sense.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:15 pm

spi wrote:If true my question is will the pens have a draft pick for the rest of the decade? This year really hurt not having a pick until round 4 and will rear its head eventually. I'd like to see RS hang on to picks going forward

Well, this was an extra pick they got for trading Malone's and Robert's rights. A lot of times teams don't want to even have too many extra picks because they don't want to flood their organization with players. If they can turn a freebie third rounder into a second rounder that is used as part of a deadline deal, I'd say they did quite well getting something for nothing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Anyone think Sydor may be involved?

If it's just a higher pick for a 3rd, then awesome.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wallflower on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Anyone think Sydor may be involved?

With Whitney out, no way.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lgpen30f987 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

spi wrote:If true my question is will the pens have a draft pick for the rest of the decade? This year really hurt not having a pick until round 4 and will rear its head eventually. I'd like to see RS hang on to picks going forward

I agree, but with GM's who have highly skilled ufa players at the end of their contract like Hossa. The gm's are going to ask for player/prospects/picks. I would rather give up a first rounder and a prospect then strip 3 guys off my roster just to save that pick for someone who may take 3-5 years to pan out, plus unless the pens break down totally the pick will be in the 26-30 range.

As lucky as the pens have been drafting the past few years i can afford to not be displeased with not having a first rounder for a few years.
lgpen30f987
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Seriously? If HH's post were accurate, they would be in a significantly better situation draftwise. Otherwise have picks 1-4, 6, 7, and Tampa's 3rd, so they are in a better position than the average team next draft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stefanh on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Tampa needs to move salary for signing Meszaros to an offer sheet. That´s where imo Jokinen comes in.
stefanh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

stefanh wrote:

Tampa needs to move salary for signing Meszaros to an offer sheet. That´s where imo Jokinen comes in.

Actually more importantly they need their pick back to sign him. They can worry about the salary in the coming weeks.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Samsdog wrote:I doubt Tampa would trade a high pick to get a third rounder back, it makes no sense. Why trade a second round pick for a third? Probably a player, but I don't understand why Shero would add more salary when they're pressed against the cap. Ideas?

It would make sense if, ultimately, you're getting what you want: Meszaros. And it also makes sense if your Tampa Bay and do nothing that makes sense. :lol:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm

What exactly would Tampa Bay be sending to Ottawa if they signed Meszaros to the rumored $5+ million offer sheet? Am I assuming correctly that it is a first, second and third rounder? If so, do the Lightning have additional higher picks to even trade the Penguins a higher pick for the rights to their original third rounder?

I really think this deal has to involve a player, and Jokinen is the only one that makes sense -- at least somewhat.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Jeff Halpern's going to miss the first few months of the season so even adding Mezsaros to what they have, they wouldn't need to move any salary to be under the cap to start the season. There's been talk about Jokinen for a while now so I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him somewhere, but moving salary shouldn't be a pressing need for them. Getting the third back is.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Defence21 wrote:What exactly would Tampa Bay be sending to Ottawa if they signed Meszaros to the rumored $5+ million offer sheet? Am I assuming correctly that it is a first, second and third rounder? If so, do the Lightning have additional higher picks to even trade the Penguins a higher pick for the rights to their original third rounder?

I really think this deal has to involve a player, and Jokinen is the only one that makes sense -- at least somewhat.

Speculation/rumor was that it would be 2010's 2nd rounder.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 pm

I really hope we don't add jokinen. He's not a first line guy and it will make ice time for quality 3rd-4th line players scarce.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Defence21 wrote:What exactly would Tampa Bay be sending to Ottawa if they signed Meszaros to the rumored $5+ million offer sheet? Am I assuming correctly that it is a first, second and third rounder? If so, do the Lightning have additional higher picks to even trade the Penguins a higher pick for the rights to their original third rounder?

Either way, as of now they have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and a third, so if the pens were ok with taking San Jose's 1st or Philly's 2nd, it would be fine.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Ah, gotcha. That certainly would be a nice trading chip to have at the deadline, eh?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Because they must have their third round pick back to sign Mezsaros to an offer sheet. They're not in a position to bargain for a good deal. It's typical of what they've been doing lately but let's hope the Pens get lucky and benefit.

I also thought I read that they have 2 2nd's for this upcoming draft. Not positive on that though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins