Tampa Re-acquires 3rd round pick from Pens???

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Pitts wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
Samsdog wrote:I doubt Tampa would trade a high pick to get a third rounder back, it makes no sense. Why trade a second round pick for a third? Probably a player, but I don't understand why Shero would add more salary when they're pressed against the cap. Ideas?

Because they must have their third round pick back to sign Mezsaros to an offer sheet. They're not in a position to bargain for a good deal. It's typical of what they've been doing lately but let's hope the Pens get lucky and benefit.

I also thought I read that they have 2 2nd's for this upcoming draft. Not positive on that though.

Yeah, I actually posted that earlier in this thread at least once, I feel like its thanksgiving the first time I got to the parents table and everyone is just talking over me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:46 pm

I'd take Jokinen. He is 25 years old and makes $1.8MM this year...He is a good 2-way 45-50 point player...Kind of sounds like Nils Ekman :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:15 pm

You can never have too much depth and competition. If Jokinen is brought in, it's one more legitimate NHL'er to compete for a spot on the roster, thuis ratcheting up the stakes for all borderline players.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 pm

pens20 wrote:How about if TB sends Shane O'Brien our way for the 3rd?

Yes please. Even send Sydor the other way if needed
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:32 pm

KG wrote:I'd take Jokinen. He is 25 years old and makes $1.8MM this year...He is a good 2-way 45-50 point player...Kind of sounds like Nils Ekman :wink:

except much better on breakaways.

We'd have our Crusher replacement, except he might hit the net more often. ;)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, I actually posted that earlier in this thread at least once, I feel like its thanksgiving the first time I got to the parents table and everyone is just talking over me.

Sorry, sometimes (mostly) I post responses to a comment before reading the whole thread. I had a slight moment of "DOH!" after going back through again.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm

K2 wrote:

Yes please. Even send Sydor the other way if needed

Sydor has been rumored heading to TB for a while. I wonder if it may be something like Sydor and the 3rd for Jokinen and O'Brien? The Pens definitely need some toughness, and SOB (sweet initials, eh), would be a nice addition. And, considering the Penguins control TB's chances of landing Meszaros via offer sheet, Shero may have a nice set of cards in his hands...
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:52 pm

To the Bolts
Sydor
Bolts 3rd round pick
Career Minor Leaguer

To the Pens
Jokinen
2nd Round Pick

Lightning need D ---- BAD!!!! which this moves basicly gives them two D for a forward that they have an abundance of.

The Pens would then have an open spot for goligoski until whitney and his purse return. The pens can sign a journey man 7th D for some depth until then.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Update from Lee: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16589

From 2 very good sources today, I am told Meszaros has known for a few days now that Tampa Bay was going to offer him over 5 million per year on a 6 year deal. From all accounts, it looks like the Lightning have re-acquired their 3rd pick from Pittsburgh.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:59 pm

ffemtreed wrote:To the Bolts
Sydor
Bolts 3rd round pick
Career Minor Leaguer

To the Pens
Jokinen
2nd Round Pick

Lightning need D ---- BAD!!!! which this moves basicly gives them two D for a forward that they have an abundance of.

The Pens would then have an open spot for goligoski until whitney and his purse return. The pens can sign a journey man 7th D for some depth until then.

Why the rush to get Goligoski in the NHL? He's too small and not ready yet. If he has a great camp, he should be on the roster. But until then, he shouldn't be handed a spot.

Additionally, Shero has a history of carrying 22 players on his NHL roster: 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies. There are 7 defensemen on the roster now.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Update from Lee: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16589

From 2 very good sources today, I am told Meszaros has known for a few days now that Tampa Bay was going to offer him over 5 million per year on a 6 year deal. From all accounts, it looks like the Lightning have re-acquired their 3rd pick from Pittsburgh.

Now the question is, what is the return. Seeing as how Lee hasn't speculated on this and neither has any other media member, it would seem that no one really knows.

The most logical return is Jokinen, as rumors have existed for some time now involving him and the Pens -- and that TB wants rid of him. But does he really bring what the Pens need?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:02 pm

The Pens usually have gone with an even more bare bones roster to start the season, but this year probably will be different since they're starting in Sweden. I'd bet on the opening roster being the full 23, including a third goalie (Curry) for the trip.

I don't think there's any way they move Sydor, unless Goligoski is so lights out in camp that he pushes his way directly into the top six. But that's not going to happen until after training camp. Even then, injuries could dictate Sydor staying. I think they were always going to wait until then if they were going to move him just in case they needed him. The Whitney injury already necessitates that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:06 pm

If it's a 2nd round pick in 2010 for the 3rd round pick the deal is fine, but that's not what I am hoping for...

If there is any way we could pry O'brien that would rule...But I am expecting a pick or 2 for the 3rd rounder back...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Ek says there is no deal in place...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16595
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:16 pm

Why would they possibly want to move O'Brien? That's just wishful thinking. They are top heavy up front, and in the market for defensemen. So why trade a 25 year old dman who you traded a 1st round pick for, who is scheduled to make 1.125 million this season, then becomes a restricted free agent next summer? Sounds like the type of player they are looking to add, not subtract. Especially for a 3rd.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:17 pm

Why in the hell would Tampa trade Shane O'Brien? C'mon folks -- let's keep it real. I don't want to hear everyone crying when it is announced that we only swapped picks with Tampa.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:18 pm

KG wrote:Ek says there is no deal in place...

Is Eklund disputing his own rumor? :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Pitts wrote:Why in the hell would Tampa trade Shane O'Brien? C'mon folks -- let's keep it real. I don't want to hear everyone crying when it is announced that we only swapped picks with Tampa.

We're in late August and have been deprived of hockey talk for nearly a month. Talk of Shane O'Brien has more to do with wanting to extend the conversation than actual reality.

Reality suggests either Jokinen or a draft pick will be coming to Pittsburgh for the 3rd rounder.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm

bhaw wrote:
KG wrote:Ek says there is no deal in place...

Is Eklund disputing his own rumor? :lol:

It is kind of interesting that he's disputing a rumor from one of his own writers. I guess one of them has to be right.

From everything I've gathered, Tampa is prepared to offer him that money but at this point can't for the obvious reason. There's another alternative for Tampa, by the way... and that's trading for Mezsaros. Allegedly, they're already willing to give up a first, second, and third plus whatever they have to give up to get their third back. Maybe if Ottawa is resigned to losing him, they'd be willing to work out something different with Tampa.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby helmespc on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Not a big Jokinen fan here or anything, but he'd certainly be worth a 3rd rounder. He'd be a good fit on the Penguins, who realistically could still use depth at wing. He's also a guy who's only 3 years off from being considered by some to be the 2nd best player not playing in the NHL (Malkin of course was easily the best). He's only got 3 years of NHL experience under his belt and put up 40+ points in all 3 years....
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:59 pm

helmespc wrote:Not a big Jokinen fan here or anything, but he'd certainly be worth a 3rd rounder. He'd be a good fit on the Penguins, who realistically could still use depth at wing. He's also a guy who's only 3 years off from being considered by some to be the 2nd best player not playing in the NHL (Malkin of course was easily the best). He's only got 3 years of NHL experience under his belt and put up 40+ points in all 3 years....

Setting aside the complete mystery of Pesonen, I would be really pleased to see this trade. The Pens would have finally have a complete top 6. Plus Staal would have another year to develop more as a play maker.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:07 pm

O'Brien is exactly what we need. I would guess it would be Sydor going along with the 3rd, considering Tampa gave the Ducks a 1st for O'Brien a couple years ago.

Wishful thinking though.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:08 pm

If jokinen does come to us, imagine our shootout lineup.

Satan
Jokinen
Crosby

Now that is lights out!

To the person who asked about rushing Goligoski, I really don't think he is being rushed, he would be a 3rd pairing D man with some power play time to build his confidence up. I know he only played one season in WBS but really, how much more does he have to learn down there? As for his size, he is 23 if I remember correctly. I don't think he has much growing to do. Sure he might get stronger in the weightroom but he is pretty much filled out. don't forget he spent a couple years in college, so its not like he is some 19 year old who was just drafted and only played a year in WBS.

I say its time for him to sink or swim in the NHL.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:13 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:I really hope we don't add jokinen. He's not a first line guy and it will make ice time for quality 3rd-4th line players scarce.

Jokinen is one of the best Finnish players right now.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:15 pm

bse wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:I really hope we don't add jokinen. He's not a first line guy and it will make ice time for quality 3rd-4th line players scarce.

Jokinen is one of the best Finnish players right now.

Yep.
And outside of Staal, he'd be a better fit with Malkin and Sykora than any of the alternatives.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins