Palffy poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Palffy poll

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Will Palffy play in NHL next season- either with the Pens or elsewhere.
1) Yes
2) No
Vote away. :?:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

nope

Postby FuturePens on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 pm

PALFY RETIRED !!!

NO, NOT NEXT SEASON OR THE ONE AFTER THAT<
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:07 am

Yes, next year he'll be traded to Los Angeles Kings for Noah Clarke, a pick and another prospect (I'd hope for Cammalleri, Grebeshkov, Kostopoulos, or Tambellini myself, but we couldn't get that)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:17 am

He's retired from the Pens, his contract is null and void. He will come out of retirement to play for someone else next year for the same amount of money but a larger market to appease his new wife. Oh and somewhere with a coach who doesn't mind a loafer.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:18 am

I know part of the deal was that his conract is void. Does that mean we still have his rights though? I'm not sure if he became a UFA when the contract was voided or if we'd be able to trade his rights away or just get something in obligated compensation.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:25 am

Palffy is damaged goods. He may need to have a THRID sugery on the same shoulder. Couple that with a few minor injuries and a hot new wife and its time to collect on that hefty retirement plan the new CBA provides.

If he did comeback I doubt anybody would offer him more than 750k/year and he would probably make that much retired and living off of promotional stuff in Slovokia.

Did I mention the hot new wife?
NIN

Postby Reilly on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:26 am

If he officialy retired, he has to wait a year before he can come back. As for the people that are pissed he left, how can you blame him? Clearly winning was more important than money for him otherwise he could have just sat on IR for the rest of the season. If he ever does come back, he won't get that much money.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:29 am

Reilly wrote:If he officialy retired, he has to wait a year before he can come back. As for the people that are pissed he left, how can you blame him? Clearly winning was more important than money for him otherwise he could have just sat on IR for the rest of the season. If he ever does come back, he won't get that much money.

I seriously doubt the lossing or the money was the primary motivater. Things like being able to physically lift your child mean alot to some people. Me? I would have taken the money and let them cut whatever they want to cut out of me. 13 million is 13 million.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:32 am

BurghThing wrote:He's retired from the Pens, his contract is null and void.

Just like when Hasek retired after winning the cup and the Wings had to pick up his option on his contract so they didn't lose him right?
Reilly

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 am

Reilly wrote:

Just like when Hasek retired after winning the cup and the Wings had to pick up his option on his contract so they didn't lose him right?

Huh? I dare you to make less sense.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:37 am

NIN wrote:
I seriously doubt the lossing or the money was the primary motivater.

From what I understand (assuming it's all true), he was injured before the Pens signed him. He got a nice contract and what he believed a good chance to win. After he realized he wasn't going to win plus increase the chance of further injuring himself, he left.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:44 am

Reilly wrote:
NIN wrote:
I seriously doubt the lossing or the money was the primary motivater.

From what I understand (assuming it's all true), he was injured before the Pens signed him. He got a nice contract and what he believed a good chance to win. After he realized he wasn't going to win plus increase the chance of further injuring himself, he left.

That may be but what does any of this have to do with Hasek comming back from retirement?

I never read an official press release from Palffy (or Edzo for that matter) so nobody really knows all the details as to why he decided to leave. I think its safe to assume the lossing didnt make him feel like he made the right choice but that contract he signed didnt gaurentee him a certain amount of team success. His injury may have gotten worse and after 2 operations on it he figureded enough is enough.

Most likely his new bride has him 100% wooped and she herself has a nice little nest egg from stripping all over Slovokia. May they live happily after after....
NIN

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:31 am

"Palffy is damaged goods. He may need to have a THRID sugery on the same shoulder. Couple that with a few minor injuries and a hot new wife and its time to collect on that hefty retirement plan the new CBA provides."-NIN
Thing that sticks in my head, if he was so hurt, why did he play right up until the end? Other than the couple games he missed for his honeymoon, he didn't miss any time. Right?
That right there is suspicious enough. And then to have Demitra and Scuds make the comments they made. Seemed to infer otherwise. Time will tell.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:54 am

Perhaps it wasn't JUST Palffy though... the Pens themselves may have been jsut as responsible if they needed a quick way to save some $$$.

At any rate, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Johnson/Kessel/whoever is a better result than winning a few more games or Crosby getting a couple extra points.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:28 am

NIN wrote:
Reilly wrote:

Huh? I dare you to make less sense.

The Wings picked up his contract option to retain his rights. I would assume under the same scenario that the Pens own Palffy's rights for two more seasons.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am

Yes. He just wanted to take the rest of this year off to rest his shoulder and be with his new wife. It's bogus. He screwed the pens. He could have just asked for a trade. I'm sure CP would have accomodated him. At least they get out of his contract.

But my vote is Yes. He will be back.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Palffy poll

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:33 pm

ville5 wrote:Will Palffy play in NHL next season- either with the Pens or elsewhere.
1) Yes
2) No
Vote away. :?:

Palfy is done. He is an honorable man.

Did you know you can make an actual pool on here, with percentages and everything? It's pretty cool. I mean, it has radio buttons. What beats radio buttons? Not much. Radio buttons own you.

But seriously, even if Palfy did come back, that would just be a Raul Mondesi, and would not be cool. Then I think he would get beat up on the ice. Maybe MAF will put a cap in his....

nevermind.
Peter

hey peter

Postby rasbatch on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:40 pm

if he made a pool on here folks would just pee in it.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: hey peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm

rasbatch wrote:if he made a pool on here folks would just pee in it.

Man that's 'Deep'
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby JS© on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:32 pm

and you can't spell 'deep' without the letters p-e-e :? :o
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ivand87 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:16 am

I thought this was the most laughable retirement I've ever seen.

What can this guy do if he doesn't play hockey? Go back to his country and get involved with the hockey league in the Czech Republic or Slovakia or somewhere else in Europe and then realize that he can still play? You're gonna tell me that at 33, he's just gonna retire because of an injury that should simply sideline him for a few months? Pathetic.

It was a big shocker to me when he "retired" and he'll probably come back.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 am

The thing being overlooked when they say CP could've just traded Palffy is $$$$ :shock: If CP trades Palffy and his $4.5 mil., he would get a decent return. But he also would've had to take back at least $3 mil in salary. At least. And that wouldn't have helped the Pens with Fleury at the time.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 am

Pallfy for Ovechkin
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:41 pm

PensInAz wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Pallfy for Ovechkin

I think that is a fair trade. A loafer for a pet rock. ;-)

Actually, that isn't fair to the pet rock. It has more of an emotional range than AO. :-D

LOL, I haven't seen too many pet rocks do what Ovechkin can. Not many people either.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:30 am

[quote="PensInAz"][quote="FallenHero96"]Pallfy for Ovechkin[/quote]

I think that is a fair trade. A loafer for a pet rock. ;-)

Actually, that isn't fair to the [quote]pet rock[/quote]. It has more of an emotional range than AO. :-D[/quote]

Pet rock- now why did you have to drag Mike Wilson into this??? :twisted:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins