Malkin interview

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin interview

Postby Tomas on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 am

Interview with "Sport-Express", after he saw Magnitogorsk beat St. Petersburg in KHL:
http://news.sport-express.ru/online/nte ... 54686.html

On the chances of him coming back to Russia:
"It's clear that a lot of money has been invested in KHL. If that continues, it will be a very strong league in a couple of years..... I don't want to look into the future, not more than a couple of years. I just signed a contract, and you want me to run again? {laughs} But nothing is impossible; Radulov, for example, returned to Russia. If the league is strong, and players keep returning, why not? It's always more pleasant to play at home, where you have your relatives and fans. But NHL is my choice now."

On his summer:
"Resting turned out to be very short. I went to Maldives with my girlfriend, had a great time there, then I went home for a short while, and then to St. Petersburg. There, we trained rather well - Semenov, Gonchar, Kozlov, several young kids. Then back again to Magnitogorsk. A short summer."
Q: Weren't you tempted to prolong it? Back in your hometown, a lot of entertainment all around...
"There are always temptations. Honestly speaking, I haven't run completely according to the program. I played tennis with my trainer, but it's necessary to hit the gym now. I have been strolling around a little, and have been coming back home a little later. Now and then, it's a little tough to keep myself withing the limits, but training is crucial now, one has to understand that."
Q: In what mood you will return back to Pittsburgh? You have already signed a new big contract with the Penguins - how will this influence your emotions in the upcoming season?
"The main thing now is not to weaken. My future is set, money will not disappear , but it is necessary to prove that the club doesn't pay me for nothing."
Q: When will you leave across the ocean?
"Originally, I planned September 7, but now things got a little tight due to some visa form submissions."
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Malkin interview

Postby canaan on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:54 am

Tomas wrote:"but it is necessary to prove that the club doesn't pay me for nothing."

phew. im glad he said this. i didn't want recchi's mentoring to rub off on the young guys. :)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Doogs on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:54 am

Wow, his English is improving!!! :lol:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 am

Tomas wrote:Q: When will you leave across the ocean?
"Originally, I planned September 7, but now things got a little tight due to some visa form submissions."

I can see it now....Malkin can't get back in due to Visa problems.

:lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 am

oh no, not again.
:o

Good to hear Evgeni is ready, but what about the Potter?

thanks for the article.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:13 am

Een Soviet Russia, tennis ball smash YOU!!!!!!!!

TY, as always, for the info, Tomas.

In honor of Geno, feels like a pizza day today.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demondg1 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 am

penny lane wrote:

oh no, not again.
:o

Good to hear Evgeni is ready, but what about the Potter?

thanks for the article.

And what about DonTheMine? And Olga the translator?
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IrishEyes on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Geno, stop partying! You need to be in game shape!!!

Damn kids.

:D
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I honestly could see Russians not being allowed to travel back and forth in the near future. Putin will put a stop to it before long. Right after the country buys that he darted that tiger. Things are degrading imo.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tomas on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Ron` wrote:I honestly could see Russians not being allowed to travel back and forth in the near future. Putin will put a stop to it before long. Right after the country buys that he darted that tiger. Things are degrading imo.

I am sorry if your post was meant to be an independent observation, but I thought the interview clearly implies Malkin got delayed submitting visa forms (in the original, he actually says something like "I little bit tightened with submission of documents for processing my visa". It just sounded too rough to translate it literally). So, there is 99%+ likelihood that the culprit in this case is lazy Malkin and/or inefficient, slow American Embassy (and yes, based on my experience, US embassies and Department of State are about as efficient as DMV). Russians have very likely nothing to do with visa extensions.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:48 pm

IrishEyes wrote:Geno, stop partying! You need to be in game shape!!!

Damn kids.

:D

In Russia, you don't go out to party. Party goes out for YOU.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Tomas wrote:
Ron` wrote:I honestly could see Russians not being allowed to travel back and forth in the near future. Putin will put a stop to it before long. Right after the country buys that he darted that tiger. Things are degrading imo.

I am sorry if your post was meant to be an independent observation, but I thought the interview clearly implies Malkin got delayed submitting visa forms (in the original, he actually says something like "I little bit tightened with submission of documents for processing my visa". It just sounded too rough to translate it literally). So, there is 99%+ likelihood that the culprit in this case is lazy Malkin and/or inefficient, slow American Embassy (and yes, based on my experience, US embassies and Department of State are about as efficient as DMV). Russians have very likely nothing to do with visa extensions.
It was forward thinking, nothing to do with the current delay.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:13 pm

canaan wrote:
Tomas wrote:"but it is necessary to prove that the club doesn't pay me for nothing."

phew. im glad he said this. i didn't want recchi's mentoring to rub off on the young guys. :)

pwned
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm surprised no one has commented on the "nothing is impossible" line about him returning to Russia yet...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:55 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented on the "nothing is impossible" line about him returning to Russia yet...

I saw it, but the fact that he's officially tied up for a while leads me to believe that by the time his contract is up, the KHL won't look so attractive anymore.

If you saw today, the KHL got PISSED about the Kings signing two prospects they claimed were signed to KHL contracts. The NHL is claiming they confirmed they are not. If it's going to be this rabbid over prospects, I can't imagine the fire storm that would happen if Malkin tried to jump ship.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am

Memorandum to Evgeni Malkin.
Article 1. A. Regarding eligibility to reside and play in the Russian Federation.
You are hereby granted indefinite leave to remain within the city of Pittsburgh and furthermore declared ineligible to return to the Russian Federation for the purpose of residing and playing hockey, effective immediately. To obtain a reversal of said declared ineligibility, a minimum of one Stanley Cup win must be procured while playing hockey under the organization known as the Pittsburgh Penguins. Expiration of contract, trades or offering of services to any other NHL team that is not the Pittsburgh Penguins is not valid prior to any eligibility and fulfillment of residency requirements regarding permit to reside and play in the Russian Federation.

We thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, I know visa paperwork lingo quite well.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:16 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented on the "nothing is impossible" line about him returning to Russia yet...

I recently started a thread suggesting that we are at risk of Malkin quitting the Penguins at any time and going back to play in Russia. For that I was mocked, ridiculed, and finally censured (the thread was locked). Worsening political and NHL/KHL developments since then have only increased the threat of losing him. I could list a number of scenarios that would see him voluntarily or involuntarily returning to Russia.

Mind you, I'm not saying it is likely to happen, but only that it is a real possibility. The proud Russians are not happy that some of their bigest star celebrity hockey players choose to play in the hated USA.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Bathgate wrote:

I recently started a thread suggesting that we are at risk of Malkin quitting the Penguins at any time and going back to play in Russia. For that I was mocked, ridiculed, and finally censured (the thread was locked). Worsening political and NHL/KHL developments since then have only increased the threat of losing him. I could list a number of scenarios that would see him voluntarily or involuntarily returning to Russia.

Mind you, I'm not saying it is likely to happen, but only that it is a real possibility. The proud Russians are not happy that some of their bigest star celebrity hockey players choose to play in the hated USA.

Ok.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
Bathgate wrote:

Ok.

Hey Putin hasn't dealt with his closest USA neighbor~ Sarah Palin. :)

Evgeni, when he speaks, shows common sense in serious topics.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re:

Postby topshelf on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I'm thinking he said that because he was talking to a Russian reporter, and was almost 'telling them what they want to hear'. At least that's my take.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Re:

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm

topshelf wrote:

I'm thinking he said that because he was talking to a Russian reporter, and was almost 'telling them what they want to hear'. At least that's my take.

Malkin will not finish his current contract in Pittsburgh.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Pitts wrote:
topshelf wrote:

Malkin will not finish his current contract in Pittsburgh.

So you think Evgeni will be traded, stay in Russia, or receive a longer contract with the pens?

PoP Quiz
:)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 pm

penny lane wrote:So you think Evgeni will be traded, stay in Russia, or receive a longer contract with the pens?

He will be traded.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
penny lane wrote:So you think Evgeni will be traded, stay in Russia, or receive a longer contract with the pens?

He will be traded.

Can I just get some clarification on this?

Do you want him to be traded? If so, why? Is it because you think he has an ego and wants to be "the man"? Or are you just preparing yourself for his departure because it will be hard to keep the whole house together and you'll think Malkin will be the sacrificial lamb to keep guys like Staal and company together?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Kicksave wrote:Do you want him to be traded? If so, why? Is it because you think he has an ego and wants to be "the man"? Or are you just preparing yourself for his departure because it will be hard to keep the whole house together and you'll think Malkin will be the sacrificial lamb to keep guys like Staal and company together?

I do not want him traded. Nobody in the Pen's organization does.

I do, however have it on good authority that he is most certainly not happy playing second fiddle to Crosby and that when the LA rumors were going around earlier this summer, he was actually quite excited about the idea. You can choose to believe it or not, but I do have a connection on the inside.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins