Prospects Camp info

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Prospects Camp info

Postby Admin on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Following is a schedule and roster for the prospects camp:

Wednesday, September 10, 2008
1:30pm Practice @ Southpointe

Thursday, September 11, 2008
11:00am Practice @ Southpointe

Friday, September 12, 2008
11:00am Practice @ Southpointe
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prospects Camp info

Postby hyzdufan on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks...Roster?
hyzdufan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 pm

hyzdufan wrote:Thanks...Roster?

Haven't seen a full roster yet but...

Among the Penguins prospects taking part in the camp will be 23-year-old defenseman Alex Goligoski, who set a new AHL record for points in a playoff season by a defenseman with 28 (four goals, 24 assists) in 23 games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. His 28 points tied the AHL record for points in a playoff season by a rookie. Goligoski made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh in February and recorded two assists in three NHL games.

Another top prospect, 19-year-old winger Luca Caputi, who scored 51 goals in 66 games for the Niagara Ice Dogs of the Ontario Hockey League and set franchise records in goals and points, will also be in attendance. Caputi made his professional debut with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, scoring eight points (four goals, four assists) in 19 playoff games.

Other prospects include 18-year-old center Keven Veilleux, who scored 64 points (17 goals, 47 assists) in 61 games with Rimouski and Victoriaville of the QMJHL; 18-year-old center Nathan Moon, the Penguins’ fourth-round pick (120th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft; and 18-year-old goaltender Patrick Killeen, the Penguins’ sixth-round pick (180th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Defenseman Robert Bortuzzo will miss both the prospects camp and training camp, recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. He is expected to be sidelined four to six months.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jesse on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Jake Muzzin is there because my friend Ross drove him from the Airport in his Limo.

I told Ross ask him about the surgery he had last year and how his health was.

Jake said that he had a 2-disc problem in his back, but since the surgery, he feels great and experiences no pain when he's on the ice.

Good news. I have been trying to find the details about that surgery for a year, haha.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Hockey is back!!!
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 am

What's the setup for this out at Southpointe? Open to public? Free? Will they have a player roster available?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:48 pm

Kraftster wrote:What's the setup for this out at Southpointe? Open to public? Free? Will they have a player roster available?

Open and free but possibly infested with a Netbot. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby OneTimer on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:03 pm

I just got back from watching the prospect practice. They were on the ice from roguhly 2:30 to 3:30.

Luckily, they had different colored jerseys on to help identify the players in addition to the tiny numbers on the backs of their helmets.
The defensemen had black jerseys.
Gray - Boogaard, Haddad, and Pierro-Zabotel
Orange - Caputi, Jeffrey, Johnson, and Lalonde-McNichol
Yellow - Daoust, Letestu, Wallace, and Cowick
Blue - Goebel, Moon, and Veilleux

Who knows if those will be that way for tomorrow or Friday.

I paid the most attention to the orange group. Lalonde-McNichol subbed in and out randomly, mostly taking Jeffrey's spot (both centers). La-Mc reminded me a little of Kennedy (small with good hussle), and he got a show off his quick, accurate release a few times.

I definitely noticed Daoust and Goebel, not just because of their size. I guess when you are that height, you have to be a little better than the bigger players to get a chance.

I have only seen Pierro-Zabotel practice a few times, never seen him in a game, but does he have much energy or speed? I know his game is on the offensive side, but he doesn't seem to match the intensity of the other players.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby usahockeyteam1980 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks! I'm going on Friday, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for Lelonde-McNichol. I'm excited to get a look at the guys that weren't at rookie conditioning camp in June.
usahockeyteam1980
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens#1 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:20 pm

im not from the burgh but will be in town on Friday so any other info you guys have is appreciated

is Southpointe the same as Ice Castle? sorry for the question but when i google Southpointe it come up with Ice Castle

thanks in advance
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dan H on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:03 pm

No, Ice Castle is a rink located in Castle Shannon. Look for the Iceoplex at Southpointe in Canonsburg, PA. Directions are at http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/1593.htm.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Dan H wrote:No, Ice Castle is a rink located in Castle Shannon. Look for the Iceoplex at Southpointe in Canonsburg, PA. Directions are at http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/1593.htm.

thanks a lot - im looking forward to going Friday
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins