Rendell Further Exposed, But Will It Matter?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rendell Further Exposed, But Will It Matter?

Postby imau2fan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:39 am

imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am

Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like "the fix" is really in.

I will really miss watching the Penguins play in Pittsburgh.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:20 am

No, this is good that this kind of stuff is getting out now. The public needs to be made aware of this kind of crap before the process moves too far along (hopefully it hasn't already).

The same goes for the report about the whole fiasco surrounding the refusal to release the results of those economic impact studies done on each of the slots plans prior to the public hearings. They want officials and the public to back plans without releasing all of the details of the plans. That's like going to buy a car and having the salesman force you to choose only by what you see when standing 20 feet away from the car. You have no idea what kind of features the car comes with, or if the thing even runs the way it should.

This process has become such a farce, it's beyond shameful. The one good thing that looks to be coming of this is the amount of scrutiny the process may be getting in the media. Maybe the whole pay raise scandal has heightened the collective awareness of the state in matters like this. Both Rendell and Onorato have come off like pompous asses in recent guest appearances. Rendell was clearly flustered by the chanting behind him when he spoke at the Steelers rally. In the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, he was a guest on the respective radio shows of Savran and Junker & Crow, and he talked down to both show hosts in light of very fair questioning. Onorato didn't fare any better on KDKA radio last week.

That leads me to believe that these guys weren't really prepared for the degree of opposition and scrutiny that they've been seeing in the process so far. And there's a long way to go.

So the more this stuff gets out, the better I feel.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:30 pm

The politicians actually seem surprised that the public is noticing the underhanded stuff. It's almost as if they expected to get away with their tactics unmolested.

This whole process is way to send a message that the rules have changed and we aren't going to sit idle while corruption reigns.

Both Conneticut and New Jersey have had huge scandals recently involving their respective Governers. (Both Goveners resigned and the CT Gov. just got out of jail.) We need to remind them that PA is no different.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Racer17 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:16 pm

So what exactly does the PR firms the Pens hired do?

Aren't these stories a gold mine for them?

Other than the tour of Columbus last month, I haven't heard BOO! since then.

What's the deal?
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 pm

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=217

Use the link above...overload them with requests for an inquest.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Racer17 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Pitts wrote:http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=217

Use the link above...overload them with requests for an inquest.

Thanks for the link... again I msut ask... why aren't the Pens demanding this also????
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Racer17 wrote:So what exactly does the PR firms the Pens hired do?

Aren't these stories a gold mine for them?

Other than the tour of Columbus last month, I haven't heard BOO! since then.

What's the deal?

I hate to say this, but I feel like the Pens plan all along was to throw this plan out there and assume FC and Majestic Star would follow suit and offer to build a new arena. I am really beginning to worry that their plan never even took into consideration that nobody else would offer to build an arena. It almost seems as if they are searching for what to do next. They need to get into motion and start generating more support for their plan. Before they had the excuse that the Steelers were still playing and that drowned out any noise they made. That excuse is no longer valid and this would be the PERFECT time for them to put on a media blitz, while the city still has sports fresh on their mind from the Steelers win.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:05 pm

There's also the possibility that they're giving Forest City enough rope to hang themselves.

If they take on Forest City directly and both bids get dragged down... then Bardens group becomes the dark horse and wins by default.

I'm not sure that I'd take that strategy, but its possible that it explains whats happening.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:59 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:There's also the possibility that they're giving Forest City enough rope to hang themselves.

If they take on Forest City directly and both bids get dragged down... then Bardens group becomes the dark horse and wins by default.

I'm not sure that I'd take that strategy, but its possible that it explains whats happening.

That could be the case, but I doubt it too. It doesn't even have to become a mud slinging contest, just tout the advantages of the IOC proposal. I have to believe that a vast majority of people in this city don't understand their plan and the benefits that come along with it. I just wish the Pens would be more pro-active and try to generate more public support for their plan. Unfortunately A LOT of people in this area don't pay attention to anything other than football during Steelers season. I know a lot of people I have talked to want to help but they don't know how to help, which isn't really a valid excuse to me but you have to take into account not everyone is a die-hard fan and will go the extra mile to e-mail, write, etc. A full-page add in the PG with information on how to contact their legislators, local leaders, etc. would help immensely. They already have this information on their website. I am a season ticket holder and I received this information from the Pens, but they need to get the word out to more people than their season ticket base.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:07 pm

I agree that the PENS need to be more active in drawing attention to their plan. It does not have to turn into a mudslinging contest. But it needs to have media attention. Rendell and the Ratners are playing the media game right now. They are getting press and using it to make slight inferences as to why the IOC plan is flawed. The IOC/PENS need to get out a media campaign to set the record straight about the advantages of their plan.

This is going to be a fight, and the opposition is landing all of the punches right now. It is high time we land a few of our own.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Racer17 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Where are the leaders of the Hill District when you need them? They're the first to complain about things, but I don't see Udin out there campaigning for the Pens. I think they are really dropping the ball too. I know they came out early in favor of the plan.. but now???

God, this whole thing puzzles me. Maybe the fix is in, and I mean the payoff from going to Kansas City???
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sleestak on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:48 pm

Perhaps we could contact the organizations in the Hill with a letter writing campaign. For that matter, why not contact the NAACP and inform them how the Isle of Capri plan, a plan that would reconnect a largely black neighborhood with the city, is going to be passed by for an unnecessary development of a largely affluent white neighborhood. (Station Square)
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Marshall Dylan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:59 pm

Pens are blowing it because they're not using the media to get their message out. They use Madden, but no one in the mainstream takes him seriously or pays attention to him.

They need to get their message out via TV first, then via newspaper columnists. That's where the impact is. Those propaganda spots they run on the radio broadcasts with Bettman and Sawyer are only being heard by hockey fans, and they're already on the Pens side.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:13 pm

I have a feeling that the Pens and their partners know what they are doing.

Not sure if this is an antitrust issue, so bombarding some poor saps at the AG's office won't do much. If anything, bombard Rendell, Oronato and O'Connor with your thoughts and complaints. If the local leaders realize that they'll lose by not supporting the plan, it might galvanize some shifts of support.

Where are the leaders of the Hill District when you need them? They're the first to complain about things, but I don't see Udin out there campaigning for the Pens. I think they are really dropping the ball too. I know they came out early in favor of the plan.. but now???

That's the amazing part of this all. They live near a potential site for really making an improvement in their area, and the silence is deafening. Maybe they have a legitimate reason for being quiet (i.e., concerns about development driving them out), but I would think that development of this section of the city, along with the planned building on Fifth and Forbes, would be just what those plighted areas have needed for decades now.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Marshall Dylan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 pm

The Hill District has been through this before. When the Civic Arena was built, a neighborhood was razed and new development was promised.

Nothing ever happened. I would think they suspect the same thing will happen this time.

Development promises mostly go unfulfilled -- Civic Arena and Three Rivers Stadium are the best examples. After six years, the only things near Heinz/PNC are two office buildings. There are vacant storefronts rigth across from PNC and two restaurant/bars have actually gone out of business there.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:23 am

Actually, I'm surprised at the amount of stuff that is going on around PNC. Firewaters was going out of business, and once they got their liquor license back is going strong again. There's the new hotel, and the new buildings with the Wake and new garage. There is even new business development with the large Del Monte building, and the new office complex on the other side of PNC with the large courtyard. The Warhol museum is planning an expansion based on all this, instead of moving out to Oakland, which was planned about a year ago.

I definitely didn't expect any of this to occur around there. I assumed we'd see a few new buildings put up to remain empty. It was refreshing last year to walk over to PNC and see how busy the area was on a non-game day just for a lunch time crowd. I look forward to the spring and being able to do this again, and I think the All Star game will only help things, at least for the next few years. We just need to keep things going the right direction, which is in the hands of the exact same people we need to get things rolling to keep the Pens here. :roll:
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dboss on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:29 am

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Actually, I'm surprised at the amount of stuff that is going on around PNC. Firewaters was going out of business, and once they got their liquor license back is going strong again. There's the new hotel, and the new buildings with the Wake and new garage. There is even new business development with the large Del Monte building, and the new office complex on the other side of PNC with the large courtyard. The Warhol museum is planning an expansion based on all this, instead of moving out to Oakland, which was planned about a year ago.

I definitely didn't expect any of this to occur around there. I assumed we'd see a few new buildings put up to remain empty. It was refreshing last year to walk over to PNC and see how busy the area was on a non-game day just for a lunch time crowd. I look forward to the spring and being able to do this again, and I think the All Star game will only help things, at least for the next few years. We just need to keep things going the right direction, which is in the hands of the exact same people we need to get things rolling to keep the Pens here. :roll:

I totally agree. PNC Park and Heinz Field have really created a lot of new development in that area and they have only been open since 2001. Don't forget people, it takes time to re-develop a large area, by most estimates 10 years. Buildings don't just get built in 1 day and everything is done. Business' need to see the potential before they will invest money to develop the area and that is what you see happening now.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:12 am

I think part of the "slowness" of the North Shore development is the plain fact that it is separated from the main downtown area by the river. I believe this will hamper Station Square as well. Station Square is isolated from town by the river with 1 rickety bridge and South Side by several blocks of run-down factories and warehouses.

On the other hand, the IoC proposal can be accomplished more quickly beacause it is an extension of the main downtown area. Access to it is much easier and faster. Businesses suich as restauraunts and retail should have a large "lunch" crowd to access. If done right, it will be a destination for people working in town. It is also the ideal place for a few high-rise condos. Imaging the view condo dwellers will get from up there! Put a nice park between the condos and town and I think it would sell very well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins