Pens games on NHL CentreIce Online

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens games on NHL CentreIce Online

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:31 pm

My only option this year to watch Pens games is NHL CentreIce Online.

Did anyone use this last year? If so, i'd love to hear your comments on it.

Thanks
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens games on NHL CentreIce Online

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm also curious.

Is it a good product and how many games can I get?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bakeman81 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 am

I used it last year. It's definitely a good product. The games are in relatively good quality. You get 4 games at a time, and if I remember correctly you pick which 4 games you're watching. You can have them all playing at once and pick the audio of the game you want, or play one full screen. The only problem I can recall is that you sometimes get games blacked out that are close to you depending on where you're at (if you're in a specific market, like say directly in the Pittsburgh area, you don't get the Pittsburgh games). But, if you're in the middle of two markets, like in State College, you might have some trouble not getting Pittsburgh and Philly games. It's definitely something to check into before you pay the money for it.
bakeman81

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

What if I purchase center ice at the begining of the season and switch from Comcast to FIOs half way through. Assuming both carry center ice, will I have trouble transferring the service?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ossa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:29 am

You'd be better off paying the extra money for Center Ice on television. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to try the online version free in the preseason. So I'd wait and see.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:02 am

TheHammer24 wrote:What if I purchase center ice at the begining of the season and switch from Comcast to FIOs half way through. Assuming both carry center ice, will I have trouble transferring the service?

fios probably isn't getting center ice this year. major drag. although my upcoming 100 HD channels will help sooth my wounds...

CI online did exactly what i needed it to do. it was extremely reliable and the picture and audio were very good (near regular standard def quality).

however...

-No DVR, so if you're used to being able to record games to watch later, this sucks. i'm actually planning on also ordering CI and a DVR at my girlfriend's place with comcast as an insurance policy to guarantee that i don't miss any games.
-I have a fancy home theater PC setup, so my CI feed went through my AV system to my plasma. this helps a great deal. watching it on a 17-19 inch screen would have been tough.
-You won't get any NHL network games, which is just frustrating beyond words. you'll need to do that myp2p thing for those 5 or 6 pens games that will be blacked out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies.

I will definitely be trying it out in the pre-season and will report back. The online site is not updated yet for this year.

I'm going to see what I can find out about that myp2p thing. I remember some people sharing info on it.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:54 am

Penspal wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I will definitely be trying it out in the pre-season and will report back. The online site is not updated yet for this year.

I'm going to see what I can find out about that myp2p thing. I remember some people sharing info on it.

myp2p can be very unreliable. the feed breaks up frequently and the video quality is much worse than CI online. not something you want to depends on, but it helps make up for the NHL's absurd blackout policy that screws over its relatively few paying customers.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Still no new updates to the NHL Online Website.

On a whim, I tried to register. It took me to a page and stated "Center Ice Online can not be accessed from within your broadcast region."

Below that was a message stating that the 2008 playoffs were not availible on NHL Center Ice Online.

I suspect this is a default message as they are simply not ready/operating yet.

Can someone else try and see if they get the same thing? It only involves entering text into 3 boxes.

To get to the site, you go to http://www.nhl.com/ and click on the Multimedia drop down and then on NHL Center Ice Online.

Thanks
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Penspal wrote:On a whim, I tried to register. It took me to a page and stated "Center Ice Online can not be accessed from within your broadcast region."

Can someone else try and see if they get the same thing? It only involves entering text into 3 boxes.

Got the same thing as you.

My HossatoDET account is a fail.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ulf on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm

there was an article posted on the pensblog a few days ago by Molinari I think. It sounded like centre ice online is gone, and there is a new "gamecenter" and "gamecenter live" feature. With The live feature you will get video of games, both home and away feeds, and it will cost money. The regular gamecenter is audio, stats, highlights and stuff for free with no video.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am

Anyone ever use it with a DSL connection? Is there lag?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:34 am

It will not synch up with the radio feed...whether you go thru the Pens site or the X. The message about availability I got last year too. Best 150$ I ever spent, really......since 714's anyway. This will be our 3rd year.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 am

Admin wrote:
Penspal wrote:On a whim, I tried to register. It took me to a page and stated "Center Ice Online can not be accessed from within your broadcast region."

Got the same thing as you.

My HossatoDET account is a fail.

:clap clap clap:
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 am

The link below is to a story from yesterday about the NHL's replacement for Center Ice Online.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124195

The NHL is supposed to launch their new website today. I see that they have removed NHL CI Online from the Multimedia menu on the front page (still found in the menu's on other pages).

It reads like a good story, and a couple of screenies look sexy. Regardless, I will be getting it as I have no other option.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:01 am

Penspal wrote:The link below is to a story from yesterday about the NHL's replacement for Center Ice Online.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124195

The NHL is supposed to launch their new website today. I see that they have removed NHL CI Online from the Multimedia menu on the front page (still found in the menu's on other pages).

It reads like a good story, and a couple of screenies look sexy. Regardless, I will be getting it as I have no other option.

are you sure that's a replacement for CI online? i didn't read carefully but that looked like it might be just be a site for scores, highlights, stats, etc.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Slick, Arnold on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:51 am

I had it last year, and it was a great product. The only downside is there is no easy way to record and no pausing, etc... I almost never had any problems with lagging, etc... I also hooked my computer up to the TV to watch quite a bit and it was decent.
Slick, Arnold
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am

$169 is absurd, especially considering CI's cable version will not come with it.

Bad move by the NHL. If they want to attract displaced fans back to their hometown teams, they should be charging cheap prices to get them re-interested.

Blah..what do you expect?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 pm

NHL Beta page is up. Hard to find the Gamecenter Live button, but here is the link to the promo for Gamecenter Live

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/index.html
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins