What's Your #1 Concern about this season?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What's Your #1 Concern about this season?

Postby cojac on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 am

My biggest concern, besides Gonchar's injury is the lack of toughness we'll have. Losing Malone, Roberts, Ruutu, and BGL worries me. Out of those 4 players, Malone may be our biggest lost; he stood up for Sid and Geno at the drop of a hat. Also if BGL is still here, does Koci take a run at Gonchar Saturday night? That's a question we'll never know the answer to. Cooke is a better player than Ruutu, and brings the same nasty style that Ruutu brought. Godard will fight all the heavyweights, which BGL tried to do, but lacked takers. We haven't replaced Malone and Roberts toughness which is why I'm worried.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: What's Your #1 Concern about this season?

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 am

How far back the competition will be by March. What do say...20 points?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 am

cojac wrote:Also if BGL is still here, does Koci take a run at Gonchar Saturday night? That's a question we'll never know the answer to.

Actually, yes. Yes, he would have. And that wasn't necessarily a run. He went out of his way to finish a check, but a lot of players do that (especially ones fighting for roster spots).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:34 am

Having a better season than last year.

They should be able to, but will they do it?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 am

another significant injury
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 am

Not worried about toughness... like you say, they brought in Cooke and Godard. Stone's in the running to make the team. The thing about toughness is that it's not just fighting. This isn't a soft team that backs away from physical play. In that sense, there is team toughness that pervades the entire lineup from Crosby to Malkin to Staal to Talbot to Fedotenko to Kennedy to Orpik to Gill, etc. These are guys that will play for each other and stick up for each other.

I struggle to find anything that really concerns me. I think they're good in all areas and they've got depth in all areas. Even with the injuries on D, they're seven deep in NHL defensemen if you're counting Goligoski, and they've got several guys in the AHL who are capable of spot duty in the NHL. The possibility for injuries to wreck the season is the only thing I'd worry about, but that's kind of a fluke thing that can happen to any team... and when you look at how this team performed last year despite significant injury losses, it's kind of hard to even worry about that. I'm not worried about a letdown because the leadership is too strong here.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:25 am

Right now? I'm worried about the health of our blue line.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 am

My biggest concern is how long the Pens will languish at .500 at the beginning of the season, like they always do, before rocketing up the standings.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demangone on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 am

I'm worried that I'll have new, annoying, loud people sitting next to me at games. I'm also worried that I'll spend way too much money on Pens merchandise. But my biggest concern is deciding whose jersey to buy.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 am

Guido wrote:Right now? I'm worried about the health of our blue line.

Yeah, what will we do if we lose Orpik or Letang? We'd be in a bad spot.

Henry Hank wrote:In that sense, there is team toughness that pervades the entire lineup from Crosby to Malkin to Staal to Talbot to Fedotenko to Kennedy to Orpik to Gill, etc. These are guys that will play for each other and stick up for each other.
Love this assessment. Totally on target - "tough" isn't created by two forwards (Roberts, Malone) and an enforcer. We've got Orpik, Gill, Talbot, and Fedo who all play with a lot of grit, Godard, who isn't above actually fighting someone (Thx PittsburghJoe for pointing that out) and a few gritty players in Cooke, and Kennedy. Heck, "tough" is why Dupuis makes sense on the top line if you think about it - because he fights for pucks in the corners.

If you're afraid of people taking runs at Sid or Geno because of a lack of enforcer, I say Empirically Denied. Nobody's done it in the past, and nobody will now, especially since we've got a half crazy person as our enforcer. If you're worried about this team being bullied around on the ice because of lack of size, I would point out that with Fedo, Staal, and Cooke, we've got more size in the top 9 than we did last year where we had...Malone...and...Staal...
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 am

My #1 concern is how they come out of the gates. I hope they do not have the fabled "hangover" that some teams have after a long run.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 am

I hope they don't come out stagnet. Sometimes, teams that achieve a lot the previous year will start off slow since they know the grind they have to go through to get back to where they were.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 am

my number 1 concern is whether or not they can beat Det if they play them in the finals.

also, anyone think Staal will pick up his fighting game this year? he could, right?
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 am

The stability of Sid's line, which impacts and is impacted by the productivity of his wingers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 am

LeopardLetang wrote:my number 1 concern is whether or not they can beat Det if they play them in the finals.

also, anyone think Staal will pick up his fighting game this year? he could, right?

He won't fight. And there is absolutely zero reason for him to do so.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:48 am

Injuries, something we cannot control. Sid and Evgeni on the PK will add another feature for the opposing team to plan for, but I worry about those slapshots from the point towards them.

what this team of players hasn't had after Therrien arrived was a long losing streak, I have faith they will laugh at talk of playoff hangover. :lol:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:58 am

i'm worried about the red wings. that's all.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:59 am

1. Injuries and that Gonchar's may be more severe than we think right now.
2. Someone like Orpik who now has a big role reverts back to early last season form, making our depth look less deep.

Not major concerns right now, but could be...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 am

Biggest concern is injuries for me. The team is good enough to rebound and get to the playoffs if they come out of the gates and stink it up. The major thing that worries me is what happens if Sid or Fleury go down again, what if it's Malkin this time or if Gonchar misses significant time. All those things are totally out of anyone's control and sure they didn't really miss a beat when Sid and Fleury went down last year but I don't think you can realistically expect that kind of performance again if some of your top players go down.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby drtofu66 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:10 am

I'm mostly concerned about the short offseason, the short pre-season, and playing in Stockholm. It seems like the Pens are getting rushed into the regular season with more things to get settled/figured out than they have a reasonable amount of time for. Like last year, inconsistency until Thanksgiving wouldn't surprise me at all.

Then when Whitney gets back and Gonchar has had time to heal, they could take off again like last year.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby K2 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am

demangone wrote: my biggest concern is deciding whose jersey to buy.

Same here :P

Honestly, my biggest concern is the backup goalie situation
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 am

Matt Cooke jersey. End of story.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 am

1. my biggest concern is health for 87 and 71 and probably MAF.
2. start of the season and playing with a short few months rest (playing physically and mentally)
3. crosbys linemates.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 am

newarenanow wrote:I hope they don't come out stagnet. Sometimes, teams that achieve a lot the previous year will start off slow since they know the grind they have to go through to get back to where they were.

I would agree with this...Little Stanley Cup hang over...Although they didn't win it, so they shouldn't be hung over from anything!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ShaPe on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 am

I would say Dupuis (or anyone else FedEx, Cooke etc) not being able to take advantage of the chances Sid and Satan will create for him(them).
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins