What's Your #1 Concern about this season?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What's Your #1 Concern about this season?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Mine would take both of them down.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:23 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:My biggest concern would be living up to this board's expectations.

I worry about that all the time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:My biggest concern would be living up to this board's expectations.

I worry about that all the time.

Poor whitney...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:30 pm

I actually meant myself.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I actually meant myself.

I'd worry about that too if I were you.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

newarenanow wrote:

I'd worry about that too if I were you.

Yeah its one of many things I worry about.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:47 pm

bhaw wrote:What would make you think they aren't all fine together in the locker room already.

Cooke has already been noted as teaching some of the guys some fighting tips. Satan wanted to play here, so I don't see him being a problem.

It actually takes a pretty special person to NOT fit in somewhere, especially on a young team. I have no worries about off-ice chemistry, given the team is largely full of guys from last year.

New faces in a new place. They might be boozing it up together already or going fishing.

It is a concern though.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:24 pm

My biggest concern is if Crosby gets more points than Malkin (I drafted Malkin #1)

Maybe I'm being nieve, but I'm really not worried at all of making the playoffs or winning a few rounds. As for the cup, I don't think anyone can predict how that can go. If they get off to a lackluster start, then they have enough talent and now experience to get through it.

Despite all that a season ending injury to Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Gonchar would be very bad.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Satan Jersey for me. I kinda like him to have a good season before I get one though.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:52 pm

I don't have high expectations for you
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 pm

I think everyone's biggest concern this season should be Montreal, who found a way to get alot better this summer.

I think my biggest concern going into camp was toughness. I think it was magnified when one of our best players was destroyed in the first preseason game by an AHL 4th liner. I like the idea of Bissonnette sticking with the club though my gut tells me Therrien would never dress Biss and Godard on the same night.

All in all, I think the Pens will be okay though it will be interesting to see whether Godard alone will keep guys honest with Sid and Malkin.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Dress Bis and Godard vs. Philadelphia and Phoenix, to name a few
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Now that I think about it, I think my biggest concern is Shero can't extend Staal.

Staal scores 80 points playing with Malkin and Sykora and walks this summer for draft picks because some team offers him 7+ million as a RFA.

Staal could play his way right out of the Pens cap with a good season.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Staal will indeed be very interesting to see play out... but since it looks like he may be getting his wish in flanking Geno, maybe he's happy producing and will sip some of the kool-aid that Orpik was drinking this summer and go for slightly discounted. Sydor, Gill, and i know a few others will be off the books.

Plus, "worst"-case scenario, if he's signing for that much (or close to) somewhere else, we'll be gettin' a pretty nice pick-return, and obviously the value of them can't be understated.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm

My number one concern for the Pens is the locker room and character of the team after the losses of Malone, BGL, Ruutu, and Roberts.

I'm concerned that the additions on the team of Satan/Fedotenko/Cooke will not have a major impact on the character of the team and that leadership is much less than before.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 pm

this thread should have had a poll.

1. chemistry
2. toughness
3. the new additions/replacements/crosby's wings
4. detroit/opponents
5. injuries
6. poor start/hangover

not listed in any order. #3 pretty much covers 1 and 2. #6 is irrelevant if it's limited to just a start. #5 is generic and though we're off to a bad start, it's not like we've lost our goalie or superstar which we overcame last year. it's really all about if #3 can change our problem last year, #4.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:My number one concern for the Pens is the locker room and character of the team after the losses of Malone, BGL, Ruutu, and Roberts.

I'm concerned that the additions on the team of Satan/Fedotenko/Cooke will not have a major impact on the character of the team and that leadership is much less than before.

While I understand the concern, I can't bring myself to feel the same. Crosby, Gonchar, Orpik, and Whitney [among others] are all still on the team and all are considered to be team leaders. Add in that I remember reading that one of the "veterans" said they'd help the new guys fit in & didn't think they would have trouble becoming part of the group, this is one thing that I'm just not concerned about. Especially since none of Satan, Fedotenko or Cooke have a cancerous stigma following them [that I've ever heard of [anyway].
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Lack of toughness is not an issue.

Laraque was garbage here. He just didn't fight enough, and he brought nothing to help the team, not to mention getting paid a lot to do it.
He never actually did the protecting of his teammates. Eric Godard replaces him, and will fight much more.

Roberts was old, overpaid, and becoming a detriment to the team.

Matt Cooke easily replaces Jarkko Ruutu.

Malone we lost, and he was tough, but he's the only tough guy not accounted for by another tough guy.

That was done by Talbot, Orpik, Gill, and even Kennedy. Cooke and Godard will add to that this year.

For me, it's Gonch and Whits. That's going to hurt badly in the first few games.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 pm

wallflower wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:My number one concern for the Pens is the locker room and character of the team after the losses of Malone, BGL, Ruutu, and Roberts.

While I understand the concern, I can't bring myself to feel the same. Crosby, Gonchar, Orpik, and Whitney [among others] are all still on the team and all are considered to be team leaders. Add in that I remember reading that one of the "veterans" said they'd help the new guys fit in & didn't think they would have trouble becoming part of the group, this is one thing that I'm just not concerned about. Especially since none of Satan, Fedotenko or Cooke have a cancerous stigma following them [that I've ever heard of [anyway].

I see what you are saying however if you really analyze the locker room personalities, many of the Pens stated how important Malone was. BGL was also another good locker room presence. Roberts provided great leadership/example for the Pens (until his outburst about not playing in Game 1 of the SCF...). Ruutu brought a lot of heart/grit that I think Cooke can help with.

Someone is really going to have to step up on the team and assume that leadership role that Malone had in bringing everyone together. Just from watching a day of practice, the two guys that stood out that sort of commanded that respect were Talbot and Sykora.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:30 pm

Without question Orpik will become the same kind of leader Malone was. He showed it a lot near the end of last season. Fedotenko will provide a lot of leadership. He's been through the playoff grind and has a cup. Also, its time for Crosby to step up and really assume leadership, he doesn't need Recchi's and Roberts' there to guide him as a captain.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 am

I think it also has to be taken into account that no longer having some of those leaders on the team opens up the opportunity for other guys to step into more vocal leadership roles.

I'm not trying to downplay the loss of Malone but things aren't going to fall apart without him, just like they didn't without Armstrong (someone who was also praised constantly as irreplaceable by his teammates).
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am

My concern about the season

SERIOUS injury, because injuries are going to happen. A season ending injury down the middle would kill our chances.

Touching on other concerns mentioned.

- I'm not worried about the letdown from getting to the cup. Why?
Mentally, the pens have Crosby, MAF, Malkin. On a night when your guys are drifting, these guys can win games for you.
Physically, the bright side to new faces & current injuries, is that these people will be rested for a long playoff run, (injured - Gonchar & Whitney) (Satan, Fedo and Peso - newbies).

- Lack of Toughness? Godard will be more of a deterent to foolish cheap shots than BGL, but you lose BGL down low puck possession. BGL did score a few timely goals last year, let's hope Godard can as well. (remember that year Chris Simon scored.... twenty? Tie Domi had one good year too! Wait, maybe this is Godard's year. He certainly could be on ice with some talent? Not serious, but we can dream)

- Goaltending? Yep, people are still not giving MAF his due. If he stumbles, Sab will keep us afloat. Fleury will find his game, worry pas.

- Staal - remember, when he scored 29 as a rookie, he scored a lot of those solo short handed. The kid has got the mojo, and I could score playing with Geno. Staal will not stall. Malone who?

- Locker Room chemistry- yes, we don't have the same people as last year, but new blood is good. And how much longer could the Pens stand to see the scary gary stare? Fedo brings a cup, Satan knows what its like to lose in the finals. I remember Roberts talking about the room and how good the chemistry was. Even if it takes a tiny hit, its even more Crosby's team this year, and if his on ice effort doesn't motivate you, get out.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 pm

uhhhhhh...........defense, because with the loss of gonch and whit we are now down to six nhl lvl defenseman, and none with a high level of breakout passing.

They pens may have a tough time getting the puck out without a commited effort of backchecking by our forwards.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:uhhhhhh...........defense, because with the loss of gonch and whit we are now down to six nhl lvl defenseman, and none with a high level of breakout passing.

They pens may have a tough time getting the puck out without a commited effort of backchecking by our forwards.

legame and actually orpik too are pretty good passers. but i don't think the breakout pass is our biggest concern regarding the defense.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 pm

It looks to me a lot like watching Scuderi or Eaton try to clear out the front of the net.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins