Make your lines

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Make your lines

Postby Scott on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:41 pm

If the season started today and you got to play coach, what are YOUR lines? Please include PP and PK.

This is not a guess the lines the mad scientist is going to go with...but in your opinion what you feel makes the Pens the best.

Golden Helmet-Crosby-Satan (already know Dupuis's capability. Pessonen gets 20-25 games with Crosby then we will see.
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Talbot-Dupuis
Taffe-Kennedy-Thomas

Letang - Orpik
Gill - Eaton
scuderi - Goligoski

Fluery
Sabo

#1 PP
Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, ( I might insert another forward in this..but who? Satan? Sykora?)

#1 PK
Talbot, Scuderi, Gill, Kennedy (Two quick energy guys covering the points :) ..plus it gives Staal a rest as his offensive role is bigger.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Make your lines

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 pm

That line-up is terribly small/weak compared to last season.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Make your lines

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Dupuis - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Fedotenko - Talbot - Cooke
Kennedy - Taffe - Godard

Letang - Orpik
Eaton - Gill
Gogo - Scuderi

Fleury
Sabu

Best thing for the team is Pesonen in AHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Make your lines

Postby Gage18 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing cooke with bing...he can score and he's tough

cooke - Bing - Satan
Staal - Geno - Syko
Peso/Dupuis - Talbot - Fedotenko
Kennedy - Taffe/Thomas - Godard/Boogie

Gill/Letang
Eaton/Gogo
Orpik/Scuds

Fluery
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:36 am
Location: City of Champions!

Re: Make your lines

Postby wallflower on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Dupuis - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Fedotenko - Talbot - Cooke
Kennedy - Taffe - Godard

Letang - Orpik
Eaton - Gill
Gogo - Scuderi

Fleury
Sabu

This is how I would set things up to start the season. (I never try to guess what Therrien is going to do. :lol: )
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Make your lines

Postby Scott on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Kicksave wrote:That line-up is terribly small/weak compared to last season.


Well, when you take out Malone, and Laraque, that is about 500 lbs of skater to replace.

This lineup is a little smaller but much faster top to bottom. How did Detroit do against us again? Last time I looked, they are not loaded up with guys that are 215# or more. But their quickness to the puck really hurt didn't it.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Make your lines

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Scott wrote:
Kicksave wrote:That line-up is terribly small/weak compared to last season.


Well, when you take out Malone, and Laraque, that is about 500 lbs of skater to replace.

This lineup is a little smaller but much faster top to bottom. How did Detroit do against us again? Last time I looked, they are not loaded up with guys that are 215# or more. But their quickness to the puck really hurt didn't it.


They also play a defensive system that is anchored by future hall of famer in Nik Lidstrom and by quality guys like Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Make your lines

Postby cs6687 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Scott wrote:
Kicksave wrote:That line-up is terribly small/weak compared to last season.


Well, when you take out Malone, and Laraque, that is about 500 lbs of skater to replace.

This lineup is a little smaller but much faster top to bottom. How did Detroit do against us again? Last time I looked, they are not loaded up with guys that are 215# or more. But their quickness to the puck really hurt didn't it.


They also play a defensive system that is anchored by future hall of famer in Nik Lidstrom and by quality guys like Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall.


Detroit won because they were a faster team, especially on defense. A year of experience for Letang and Eaton make the Penguins faster defensively. If Goligoski is good enough to stick around (because of numbers he probably won't), he'll add to the speed.

Fedotenko is smaller than Malone, but he's about the same size as Holmstrom. Fedotenko is not Holmstrom, just comparing them by height and weight. Cooke is smaller than Ruutu, but he's faster and a better player. Talbot playing 12-15 minutes a night makes the Penguins faster. Godard and Staal's size cancel out Laraque and Malone.

The Penguins didn't lose as much size as some think. They did get faster. As long as the Penguins can remain a tough team to play against, I'm not worried.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Re: Make your lines

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:14 pm

cs6687 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
Scott wrote:
Well, when you take out Malone, and Laraque, that is about 500 lbs of skater to replace.

This lineup is a little smaller but much faster top to bottom. How did Detroit do against us again? Last time I looked, they are not loaded up with guys that are 215# or more. But their quickness to the puck really hurt didn't it.


They also play a defensive system that is anchored by future hall of famer in Nik Lidstrom and by quality guys like Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall.


Detroit won because they were a faster team, especially on defense. A year of experience for Letang and Eaton make the Penguins faster defensively. If Goligoski is good enough to stick around (because of numbers he probably won't), he'll add to the speed.

Fedotenko is smaller than Malone, but he's about the same size as Holmstrom. Fedotenko is not Holmstrom, just comparing them by height and weight. Cooke is smaller than Ruutu, but he's faster and a better player. Talbot playing 12-15 minutes a night makes the Penguins faster. Godard and Staal's size cancel out Laraque and Malone.

The Penguins didn't lose as much size as some think. They did get faster. As long as the Penguins can remain a tough team to play against, I'm not worried.


But by having the bigger team that could bang and beat up their opponents is what took the Pens to the finals?

The Eastern conference is much bigger/tougher than the Western conference.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Make your lines

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Gage18 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing cooke with bing...he can score and he's tough


I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Dupuis switched a lot over the course of the season, depending on who's playing better, and on a more microscopic level, who's fresher (like after a PK since Dup sees a lot of action there).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,390
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Make your lines

Postby Gage18 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Gage18 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing cooke with bing...he can score and he's tough


I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Dupuis switched a lot over the course of the season, depending on who's playing better, and on a more microscopic level, who's fresher (like after a PK since Dup sees a lot of action there).



I couldnt agree more! I think Cooke with have career numbers this season...
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:36 am
Location: City of Champions!

Re: Make your lines

Postby cojac on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 pm

DUPUIS-CROSBY-SATAN
STAAL-MALKIN-SYKORA
FEDOTENKO-TALBOT-COOKE
KENNEDY-TAFFE-GODARD
BIZNASTY(dresses vs tougher teams for Taffe)

ORPIK-EATON
GILL-LETANG
SYDOR-GOLIGOSKI
SCUDERI
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Make your lines

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm

I would start with the common lines being thrown out:

Dupuis-Crosby-Satan
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Talbot-Cooke
Kennedy-Taffe-Godard

Eaton-Orpik
Gill-Letang
Sydor-Scuderi

For D, I would also be ok with

Sydor-Orpik
Gill-Letang
Eaton-Goligoski

I'd be up for rotating Cooke and Fedotenko in for Dupuis as necessary if they can keep up with that line.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,997
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Make your lines

Postby CKA24 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm just sick of hearing "The Pens aren't tough anymore..." Truly sick of hearing it. Honestly, I dream of a day where we don't have to hire an enforcer (a.k.a. wasted body) to 'defend' the top talent. I'd rather use Godard's roster spot for someone who can chip in on offense too. The Pens have enough physicality and I'll be thrilled if the team is faster this year instead of tougher.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Re: Make your lines

Postby farnham16 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I've been down a couple days, but what is the status of Gonchar?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Make your lines

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Assuming Gonchar is going to be on the IR, and after they play in Sweden:

Dupuis - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Fedotenko - Talbot - Cooke
Kennedy - Taffe - Godard

Orpik - Sydor
Eaton - Letang
Gill - Scuderi

Fleury
Sabourin

PP1: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Sykora/Satan
PP2: Sykora/Satan, Taffe, Fedotenko, Sydor, Eaton

PK forwards: Staal, Dupuis, Talbot, Cooke, Crosby, Malkin, Fedotenko
PK D: Gill, Scuderi, Orpik, Eaton

Let Pesonen play regularly on the top line in WBS until an opportunity pops up, assuming he deserves it. Bissonette has limited experience at forward so he could use the time in the AHL to get more used to the position. He definitely seems to have some potential as a future fourth liner here.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Make your lines

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Rememberrrrrrr Isaly's!
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,390
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Make your lines

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Dupuis - Talbot - Cooke
Bissonnette - Kennedy - Godard

(Taffe - Thomas)

Orpik - Gill
Letang - Scuderi
Goligoski - Eaton

(Richmond)

I'm just not a fan of Sydor.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: Make your lines

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 pm

NaNaNaNa-Bing-Miro The Hero
Gronk-Geno-Sykie
Tank-Mad Max-Dupes
TK-Laffy Taffey-Cookie Monster
Extra: God, B Tom?

Free Candy-Gogo
Legame-Brick Wall
USS-Scuds

Flower
Sabu

That was fun.

Please get healthy Sarge.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Make your lines

Postby CKA24 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
CKA24 wrote:I'm just sick of hearing "The Pens aren't tough anymore..." Truly sick of hearing it. Honestly, I dream of a day where we don't have to hire an enforcer (a.k.a. wasted body) to 'defend' the top talent. I'd rather use Godard's roster spot for someone who can chip in on offense too. The Pens have enough physicality and I'll be thrilled if the team is faster this year instead of tougher.



Remember that the first time Malkin takes a stick or Crosby is going to the bench with a bloody nose..
Remember the second Flyer game last year? Smith was nailing Crosby and laughing about it.
Remember the sixth Flyer game, BGL suspended, Cote is running Sykora and Malkin before beating up Malone.


Let me revise my point: It annoys the crap out of me because we really don't know how 'tough' this team is going to be. Yes -- we lost a handful of people who played physically, but we've retained several others who play the game physically as well. We've signed a few people who will do more of the same. Some of the players we've retained may play more physically or players may step up and play a more physical game.

I also think that physical play is a team philosophy, not a specialized area. When I watch/think about the Red Wings, I don't see a skilled team with a few physical specialists. I see a team that buys into a physical, aggressive system of play.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Re: Make your lines

Postby meow on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
CKA24 wrote:I'm just sick of hearing "The Pens aren't tough anymore..." Truly sick of hearing it. Honestly, I dream of a day where we don't have to hire an enforcer (a.k.a. wasted body) to 'defend' the top talent. I'd rather use Godard's roster spot for someone who can chip in on offense too. The Pens have enough physicality and I'll be thrilled if the team is faster this year instead of tougher.



Remember that the first time Malkin takes a stick or Crosby is going to the bench with a bloody nose..
Remember the second Flyer game last year? Smith was nailing Crosby and laughing about it.
Remember the sixth Flyer game, BGL suspended, Cote is running Sykora and Malkin before beating up Malone.


I don't really remember any of that stuff. I do remember eliminating the Flyers from the playoffs though.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,069
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Make your lines

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Its about time that someone doesn't need to protect Malkin. Are we forgetting that he is 6'3 200 something. He and Staal should be wrecking people that mess around. Cooke should be the greatest deterrent against that stuff anyway. If a Flyer goes after one of our stars let Cooke or Godard put Briere through the glass, the first two rows of seats, and then the concrete behind there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Make your lines

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:36 am

So are the big guns and fleury going to play tomorrow night againt Toronto? Im going and would like to see them play and considering its at home and the other group played a few nights ago.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,070
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: Make your lines

Postby meow on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:55 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:So are the big guns and fleury going to play tomorrow night againt Toronto? Im going and would like to see them play and considering its at home and the other group played a few nights ago.


I would imagine so. A whole slew of guys just got sent to WBS.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,069
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Make your lines

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 am

Plus its a home game, they'll be in. Maybe not all of them, but most of them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Batman21 and 4 guests

e-mail