Best NHL player? CBS Sportsline says Zetterberg

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Best NHL player? CBS Sportsline says Zetterberg

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:19 pm

ffemtreed wrote:I would take Datsyuk over zetterberg any day. Until Zetterberg can do what he did last year day in and day out, for a couple years then I might consider him one of the top 10 in the league, Right now he doesn't even crack my top 20 or maybe even 30 if I think about it.

this is the most ridiculous thing i have read all day. you clearly are basing what you are saying on statistics, which still hardly makes sense considering zetterberg is among the elites in that too. If you paid any attention to the stanley cup finals, you would have noticed that aside from lidstrom, zetterberg was the best player on the ice night in, night out.

Zetterberg is quite obviously a top 5 player in this league. Do i think he is a top 2? no chance. but let's not forget he is going up against AO and sid for that spot. In my opinion he is 3rd.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Yeah I agree with Mr. Colby...Zetterberg is an elite player where I would say Datysuk is a very good player in my book...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 pm

I'd be happy with either on my team .
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 pm

KewellHandLuke wrote:As an admitted black-and-gold glasses wearing pens fan, I can't argue with Zetterberg being ranked #1. I'm not sure if I would put him number one, but how can anyone say that at this precise moment in time there isn't an argument for Zetterberg or AO? It certainly isn't a ridiculous or uneducated top 3 and if you take away your Penguin bias, there really isn't any argument against it (mostly due to his obvious short memory and the fact that this is heavily based on last year's performances and not much else). It's not who has more potential or scored more points or what player a GM would start a franchise with, it is simply the best hockey player in the world right now.

I really don't think that his putting zetterberg at #1 was solely based on last year's performance. Last summer AND the summer before there were several writers (even more-so than now) who ranked zetterberg at #1. The guy is the real deal. Its a shame for him that 2 absolute freaks (possibly 3 with malkin) are in this league.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:34 pm

KewellHandLuke wrote:As an admitted black-and-gold glasses wearing pens fan, I can't argue with Zetterberg being ranked #1. I'm not sure if I would put him number one, but how can anyone say that at this precise moment in time there isn't an argument for Zetterberg or AO? It certainly isn't a ridiculous or uneducated top 3 and if you take away your Penguin bias, there really isn't any argument against it (mostly due to his obvious short memory and the fact that this is heavily based on last year's performances and not much else). It's not who has more potential or scored more points or what player a GM would start a franchise with, it is simply the best hockey player in the world right now.

ugh, the "right now" card.

this "right now" business is as absurd as always. the "best hockey player in the world" trophy doesn't get passed around from player to player every day. it doesn't change because zetterberg won a cup. it doesn't change when lecavalier jumps out to a hot start. and it won't change this year when someone else is on a hot streak.

if you want to say, "the player playing the best hockey right now", i understand but an opinion on who is the absolute best should probably be formulated on more substantive info, not short term trends.

and if you want to say zetterberg is the best, fine. but qualifying that with "right now" doesn't make sense.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 am

I don't know why some people are so sensitive if some writers don't think Crosby is the best player or they question the Penguins in any way, they are automatically branded a "tool", and called biased and contrarian, and they must be just going against logic to get more hits. Not everybody is a biased Pens fan, they are entitled to their own opinions. Some people should grow up and stop letting it bother them.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:49 am

It doesn't bother me in the least. But, the fact remains that there is not a GM on this planet that would take Zetterberg over Crosby or Ovechkin. It just wouldn't happen.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:I would take Datsyuk over zetterberg any day. Until Zetterberg can do what he did last year day in and day out, for a couple years then I might consider him one of the top 10 in the league, Right now he doesn't even crack my top 20 or maybe even 30 if I think about it.

this is the most ridiculous thing i have read all day. you clearly are basing what you are saying on statistics, which still hardly makes sense considering zetterberg is among the elites in that too. If you paid any attention to the stanley cup finals, you would have noticed that aside from lidstrom, zetterberg was the best player on the ice night in, night out.

Zetterberg is quite obviously a top 5 player in this league. Do i think he is a top 2? no chance. but let's not forget he is going up against AO and sid for that spot. In my opinion he is 3rd.

Sorry you disagree with me, but I am not willing to call a player with one breakout year one of the top players in all of hockey. This has nothing to do with stats, it has to do with carrying a team, good players score lots of points, great players carry teams. Yes he is a perennial 30+ goal scorer but he isn't the only one! I would love to see how he would play on a bad team, unfortunately we may never see that.

What he did in the finals or play offs is completely irrelevant to this discussion, Anyone can have great stretches of the season, or playoffs and shine like they are the reincarnation of Mario and Gretzky, its all about consistency in my book! 1 or 2 good years don't make a great player in my book.

Just off the top of my head here are a list of forwards I would take over Zetterburg, this is not even including Dman and Goalies that I would take before him.

Sid
Ovechkin
Malkin
Lecavalier
Iginla
Heatly
Sundin (I might have to think about this one due to age)
Hossa
Datsyuk
Thorton
Alfredsson

I put Zetterburg into the category with players like Kovalchuck,Gaborik,Kovalev, Marty St.Loius. Yes they are all really good players, but not what I would condsider the best of the best.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 am

I drafted Zetterberg in my draft last night 10th overall...I was happy with the selection..I was even happier when I followed that up with Vinny...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins