Simply for RUMOR'S sake:

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Simply for RUMOR'S sake:

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:18 am

I'm just shooting the charcoal here, but rumors this morning are strongly hinting that Anaheim may be willing to include Bobby Ryan in a package deal with Schneider just to move him and his salary. Now, things being what they are with Gonchar's injury (unknown) on top of Whitney's, does anyone think it might be of some interest for Shero to follow up on this possibility? Apparently, Anaheim doesn't want much back since they are so desperate to move Schneider's salary. Ryan just may turn into the young Power Forward for Crosby's left side this season. I know there would probably have to be some salary moved somewhere (at least when Whits comes off long term IR), but this is all speculation and rumor, so what do y'all think?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Simply for RUMOR'S sake:

Postby KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am

If we could get Bobby Ryan just to take on Schneider's salary I would think the pens would have real interest.

Sydor for Ryan and Schneider!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am

Who's salary do you move from the Pens? It would have to be Whitney or Gonchar.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am

http://insidepittsburghsports.com

I know this site is flamed...but this is where I saw it as well...
Last edited by KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am

the Pens have plenty of cap space especially with Whitney missing 1/3 of the season
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

KG...did you give him $20 to read his website?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guido on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

This is somewhat off-topic, but it does tie in to the Schneider discussion....when will Gonchar's status be known? I mean, as far as we know, he could be out for 6-8 weeks or he could be playing tonight. Was he just dinged up or does he have a separated shoulder? Surely he's had an MRI by now.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 am

Guido wrote:This is somewhat off-topic, but it does tie in to the Schneider discussion....when will Gonchar's status be known? I mean, as far as we know, he could be out for 6-8 weeks or he could be playing tonight. Was he just dinged up or does he have a separated shoulder? Surely he's had an MRI by now.

all that is said is Sergei's shoulder is too swollen to accurately diagnose and treat. Paging medical doctors??
Does the prolonged swelling indicate a shoulder separation?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guido on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

You would assume so, unfortunately. Regarding Schneider...it depends on how long Sarge is out for. If it's a month, no biggie. If it's more, then you have to look into a replacement because as much as we like Letang and GoGo, they won't cut it while Whit and Gonch heal.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 am

Kicksave wrote:KG...did you give him $20 to read his website?

I sent him a couple of bucks after the trade deadline to tell him I thought he did a good job...He then gave me a membership to his new site...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensBeerGeek on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07 am

Under NHL rules, Schneider can't be a replacement for either Whitney or Gonchar on LTIR because his cap hit is larger than either of theirs (5.625 vs. 4.0 or 5.0).

Edit: Found the CBA language:
50.10.(d).(3) "The total replacement Player Salary and Bonuses for a Player or
Players that have replaced an unfit-to-play Player may not in the
aggregate exceed the amount of the Player Salary and Bonuses of
the unfit-to-play Player who the Club is replacing; (page 227 of the CBA)
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 am

He doesn't technically have to be a replacement - that is only if the acquisition will require you to exceed the cap. I'm not sure adding Schneider would push them over. Besides, you could always demote Sydor to the minors to remove his cap hit. Point being, things could be moved around to make the fit.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mosby on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:36 am

Pitts wrote:He doesn't technically have to be a replacement - that is only if the acquisition will require you to exceed the cap. I'm not sure adding Schneider would push them over. Besides, you could always demote Sydor to the minors to remove his cap hit. Point being, things could be moved around to make the fit.

There is no relief on Sydor/Schneider because of the 35 years old clause. Their salaries count against the cap if they're in the minors or the NHL.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 am

Ahhh, you are correct Mr. Mosby! Thanks.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 am

So, could Pittsburgh make the trade (for who knows what) then swap Mr. Schneider or Sydor elsewhere? We just want Bobby Ryan really.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm

Pitts wrote:So, could Pittsburgh make the trade (for who knows what) then swap Mr. Schneider or Sydor elsewhere? We just want Bobby Ryan really.

Well, apparently not, because Mathieu Schneider was waived and unclaimed...his cap hit, which is everlasting, could be crippling...

Bobby Ryan is nasty, the Ducks aren't moving him with Schneider just to move Schneider's salary...and in the extremely unlikely scenario that they do this (not gonna happen), the Penguins are not a fit for a trade like this...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 am

schneieder would be a huuuge waste of money IMO. I know there are concerns about our PP with Whitney and Gonchar out, but if you're like me, you might be curious to see what our power play might look like where Sid and Geno would be more involved. I can't see us running our PP the way we did with Gonchar in the line-up. Maybe a more agressive, cycle oriented PP. I think it would take advantage of our skilled players up front.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 am

Our PP will still be great without Gonch or Whitney as the QB. People forget we have Malkin back there that can lug the puck up the ice just as good as Gonch. That still leaves a combination of Sid,Sykora,Staal,Satan up-front. I am sure between Letang and Gogo we can fill the other point position on the PP. That other point position is going to be a shooter, not a puck controller. Sure when Gonch is back in the spot he is a puck controller and QB and gives our PP another dimension but he doesn't cripple the PP by not being there.

Also I know a lot of people are down on him right now, but Sydor has been very successful on the powerplay throughout his career. If Letang doesn't fill the hole well, we might see Sydor on the #1 PP.

So what I am saying here is we don't need to rush out and make a bold move just to temporarily fill that PP position. We can last a couple months without him or whitney back there.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 am

ffemtreed wrote:Also I know a lot of people are down on him right now, but Sydor has been very successful on the powerplay throughout his career. If Letang doesn't fill the hole well, we might see Sydor on the #1 PP.

I actually thought this would ensure Sydor was starting the season in the top 6 and that he would make the most sense on the #1PP. Letang can work the #2 unit until he is totally comfortable then move up if needed.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 am

schneider will be in LA playing with the Kings. They will probably just get a pick or two out of the deal.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:20 pm

I really don't have any interest in Schneider on this team. He's older, and it's not worth moving younger salary for the services he brings. Gonch and Whit will be back in due time, and I think we will be OK with Goligoski and Tanger in the mean time.

Unless Anaheim is unable to move him and puts him on re-entry waivers. I would gladly have Schneider at the 2.6 or so we'd have to pay. However moving salary at this point doesn't look very attainable.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I really don't have any interest in Schneider on this team. He's older, and it's not worth moving younger salary for the services he brings. Gonch and Whit will be back in due time, and I think we will be OK with Goligoski and Tanger in the mean time.

Unless Anaheim is unable to move him and puts him on re-entry waivers. I would gladly have Schneider at the 2.6 or so we'd have to pay. However moving salary at this point doesn't look very attainable.

If he goes on re-entry waivers, no way he drops to the Pens. I'd take him at 2.6M too if Gonchar is out for more than a couple weeks, but I think plenty of teams would take that as well.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm

bhaw wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:I really don't have any interest in Schneider on this team. He's older, and it's not worth moving younger salary for the services he brings. Gonch and Whit will be back in due time, and I think we will be OK with Goligoski and Tanger in the mean time.

If he goes on re-entry waivers, no way he drops to the Pens. I'd take him at 2.6M too if Gonchar is out for more than a couple weeks, but I think plenty of teams would take that as well.

exactly... it wont even get that far anyway
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:43 pm

If Gonchar got hurt in February and this was a season-ending injury, someone like Schneider would be interesting to the Pens. He's a waste now because there are in-house candidates that are capable (Letang, Sydor, Goligoski) and Gonchar is expected to be back at some point.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins