Pens make more cuts...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Mosby on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Wasn't it only last year that Bissonnette was sent home and told to wait for a trade?
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby WWGRD on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Mosby wrote:Wasn't it only last year that Bissonnette was sent home and told to wait for a trade?


Yes, you're right

Then he changed his attitude, and started dropping the gloves
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:45 pm

I think defensemen are more likely to get hurt based on their role. They're getting driven into the boards more often (see Gonchar), they're blocking shots, in general it's a position that requires more contact. If you bring one extra forward and two extra defenseman, you can just dress seven D if two forwards get hurt. If two D get hurt, you can still dress six D. In the opposite scenario, if two D get hurt, you're playing short a D for a game.

Regardless, it's almost certain that the roster will be pared by the time they get back to Pittsburgh. Curry will go down, and I don't see any way they keep Goligoski as a seventh D. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way down to just a 20 man roster.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 pm

WWGRD wrote:
Mosby wrote:Wasn't it only last year that Bissonnette was sent home and told to wait for a trade?


Yes, you're right

Then he changed his attitude, and started dropping the gloves



If he makes the team~Coach Therrien has his swing wing-defenseman. :wink: Has a long way to go, but we saw what a Christoph Schubert added to the sens line-up in 07.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,510
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby tluke53 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Perhaps Bissonnette was simply kept so that we can fill up the Pre-Season rosters. Maybe he was chosen over other players because those other players need more time practicing with thier WBS teammates. I guess what I am saying is that this isn't a big deal.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,590
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: All over the place

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Soft doesn't equal not fighting. Soft means you back down from physicality and I don't buy for a second that this team does that even with the turnover.

I don't think Bissonnette will make it. I think they're rewarding him for a good camp thus far and also as a sign of faith for getting himself back into their good graces. He really doesn't fit into the lineup as it is and he'd be better off getting playing time as a wing, which he's had little, rather than sitting in the press box. He's definitely on track to have a future as a fourth liner in my eyes.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:No, The Pens have the skill, but lost alot of toughness with the departure of Malone, Ruutu, and Roberts. I think these guys need to drop the gloves and know that to stick. I think MT is looking for guys who he can trust to standup for their teammates when the time is needed.

Lets face it, The Pens lineup is pretty soft even with Godard. Adding guys like Bis and Richmond can change that.

We may need that when we play Philly.


Uh.... what? Richmond is 6 ft, 190-ish. So he dropped the gloves once? well. so did Staal. and he's 6'4".

All I'm saying is that mentioning Richmond in your "The pens are soff" argument is severely hurting your credibility.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,422
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Jesse on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah, Richmond isn't much of a fighter. I wouldn't include him in a toughness discussion.

Richmond fighting, to me, is more indicative of how badly he wants to make team.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby cojac on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Jesse wrote:Yeah, Richmond isn't much of a fighter. I wouldn't include him in a toughness discussion.

Richmond fighting, to me, is more indicative of how badly he wants to make team.

Richmond dropping the gloves isn't suprising, look at his stats the last couple of seasons:
---------------------GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2007-08 Rockford AHL 40 2 12 14 8 156
2006-07 Chicago NHL 22 0 2 2 -1 48
---------Norfolk AHL 57 10 24 34 10 144
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby cojac on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:Richmond is more then willing to drop the mitts...

12 fights in 39 games for the Hawks.. Thats over 25 for a whole year.

:) I was looking his stats up also
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm surprised by that. I was basing my guess soley off the fact that Konopka whooped him pretty bad.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby letsgopens87 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Rumor from a few folks in WBS is that Stone got claimed. No official word that I can find though.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,368
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:06 am

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby KG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 pm

letsgopens87 wrote:Rumor from a few folks in WBS is that Stone got claimed. No official word that I can find though.


A young team ala LA or the Islanders should take a claim on him...Let us know if you hear anything firm...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,975
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby WWGRD on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:25 pm

The people that posted that they heard Stone was claimed are usually correct, I might add
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Wouldn't surprise me... Stone's physical, willing to fight, and he has some pedigree for skill so he has the makings of a good fourth liner. It's kind of like Buffalo's situation with Thorburn a few years ago... they had good depth and he wasn't quite good enough to crack it. A lesser team, like the Pens were then, can plug him in readily.

I'm disappointed that he couldn't make it, but they're not really going to miss him. Kennedy's better, Godard's locked up for three years, Bissonnette and Jeffrey might be a couple guys that can step in next season, so the fourth line is pretty crowded for a while.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby gregor on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:56 pm

any further word on this? I can't find it anywhere on the Al Gore...
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: DC

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby gregor on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:10 pm

according to Johnny Bomb, 11 of the 13 cuts reported to WB/S. Beech and Gove were the only no-shows and Gove had a reason. Johnny Bomb is speculating that Beech is going AWOL.

so it looks like Stone made it through.

http://emedia.citizensvoice.com/Penguin ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Oops, looks liek we won't know until Monday due to the Sweden thingy. Long time to be on waivers and gives the other teams more time to evaluate their situations. I don't like it one bit.
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: DC

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby KG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

Not sure if this was posted. But Stone want's out...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... s-out.aspx
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,975
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby canaan on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am

gregor wrote:according to Johnny Bomb, 11 of the 13 cuts reported to WB/S. Beech and Gove were the only no-shows and Gove had a reason. Johnny Bomb is speculating that Beech is going AWOL.

so it looks like Stone made it through.

http://emedia.citizensvoice.com/Penguin ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Oops, looks liek we won't know until Monday due to the Sweden thingy. Long time to be on waivers and gives the other teams more time to evaluate their situations. I don't like it one bit.



LOL@ beech going AWOL.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,777
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby Defence21 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am

KG wrote:Not sure if this was posted. But Stone want's out...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... s-out.aspx

"Wants out" is a bit misleading. I think, more appropriately, he wants a shot in the NHL. I haven't heard anything negative from him about the organization, it's just that he wants a chance to move up, and that's not going to happen here.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,836
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Pens make more cuts...

Postby shane613 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 am

canaan wrote:
gregor wrote:according to Johnny Bomb, 11 of the 13 cuts reported to WB/S. Beech and Gove were the only no-shows and Gove had a reason. Johnny Bomb is speculating that Beech is going AWOL.

so it looks like Stone made it through.

http://emedia.citizensvoice.com/Penguin ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Oops, looks liek we won't know until Monday due to the Sweden thingy. Long time to be on waivers and gives the other teams more time to evaluate their situations. I don't like it one bit.



LOL@ beech going AWOL.


i think he defected to the KHL, it's sports terrorism if you ask me
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: C4 Row E, Fast B, murphydump55, Skatingpen and 12 guests

e-mail