Gabby for Staal???

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:48 pm

Pitts wrote:
gregor wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:sorry staal has already been traded to atlanta for hossa, or shipped to calgary for phaneuf. i cant remember which.


nope, he was traded for Jack Johnson... I think. :lol:

Yeah. Malkin was traded for Pahnuef, Recchi for Hossa. :wink:



No, we traded Malkin to LA, and the Malkinites came out in full for to kill us.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,134
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:Basically Jordan Staal is going to be a better overall hockey player than Marian Gaborik. That being said, Gaborik is the best winger for Crosby in the entire NHL with his speed, hands, and hockey sense. Staal should not and will not be moved for Gaborik.

I also do not believe that Gaborik will recieve 8+ million on the market next year, I believe the pens MAY be able to get him long term for say 7ish. We shall see, I would not be surprised to see him in the black and gold, what with around 15+ million coming off the books and Malkin and Staals increase in cap hit will only be about 7ish million.


staal's offensive game will never even approach gaborik. gaborik is one of the top 10 offensive talents in the league, if not top 5. staal's defensive abilities don't even come close to covering that offensive disparity and making him a "better overall player".

with that said. i really like staal. and he will fit under the cap next year. gaborik won't. no deal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:A lot can change, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sykora sticks around on another two year deal at a higher salary. Maybe Satan even will too.

This. Both will have solid success this season and will want to stay right here potting goals.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Kennedy for Gaborik, straight up.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:01 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Kennedy for Gaborik, straight up.


Wake up RS!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shane613 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Nizzy wrote:lol, thanks OP I needed a good evening laugh today at work.

"I'm sure Minny would go for this"

They sure would, too bad nobody in Pittsburgh besides you would.



I would.
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shane613 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Staal's first 2 years:

06-07...81 games played...29 goals...13 assists....42 points... 16 +/-
07-09...82 games played...12 goals...16 assists....28 points... -5 +/-

Gaborik's first 2 years:

00-01...71 games played...18 goals...18 assists...36 points... -6 +/-
01-02...78 games played...30 goals...37 assists...67 points... 0 +/-

Gaborik's last 2 years:

06-07...48 games played...30 goals...27 assists...57 points... 12 +/-
07-08...77 games played...42 goals...41 assists...83 points... 17 +/-

To the person who said Staal is or will be a better overall player, how do you figure???

Also, Gaborik is 26...Staal is 20...Unless Staal puts up 83 points at 26, he will not be a better player than Gaborik

Not to mention the 5-goal game?
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:17 pm

shane613 wrote:Staal's first 2 years:

06-07...81 games played...29 goals...13 assists....42 points... 16 +/-
07-09...82 games played...12 goals...16 assists....28 points... -5 +/-

Gaborik's first 2 years:

00-01...71 games played...18 goals...18 assists...36 points... -6 +/-
01-02...78 games played...30 goals...37 assists...67 points... 0 +/-

Gaborik's last 2 years:

06-07...48 games played...30 goals...27 assists...57 points... 12 +/-
07-08...77 games played...42 goals...41 assists...83 points... 17 +/-

To the person who said Staal is or will be a better overall player, how do you figure???

Also, Gaborik is 26...Staal is 20...Unless Staal puts up 83 points at 26, he will not be a better player than Gaborik

Not to mention the 5-goal game?


to be fair, the guy said he will eventually be better, not that he's better now. a tough stance to take, but not as crazy as what you thought you read.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby K2 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 am

This picture is why we shouldn't trade for Gaborik (in addition to the injuries)

Image

However, if I'm RS, I trade Staal for the brunette straight up :lol:
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:21 am

I thought that would be an argument in favor of acquiring him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,983
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shane613 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought that would be an argument in favor of acquiring him.


its more of a reason to dislike hossa than anything else
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 am

shane613 wrote:Staal's first 2 years:

06-07...81 games played...29 goals...13 assists....42 points... 16 +/-
07-09...82 games played...12 goals...16 assists....28 points... -5 +/-

Gaborik's first 2 years:

00-01...71 games played...18 goals...18 assists...36 points... -6 +/-
01-02...78 games played...30 goals...37 assists...67 points... 0 +/-

Gaborik's last 2 years:

06-07...48 games played...30 goals...27 assists...57 points... 12 +/-
07-08...77 games played...42 goals...41 assists...83 points... 17 +/-

To the person who said Staal is or will be a better overall player, how do you figure???

Also, Gaborik is 26...Staal is 20...Unless Staal puts up 83 points at 26, he will not be a better player than Gaborik

Not to mention the 5-goal game?



The argument that makes more sense is that Staal will be a better player for the salary he makes. Gaborik doesn't fit into the team's salary structure. That right there should pretty much be enough to be the reason why he never sees the black and gold.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,986
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:41 am

Staal is a better overall player NOW than Gaborik is. Gaborik is a one trick pony, a pure goal scorer. Those are valuable, but Staal can do ANYTHING well and does certain things extremely well. Offense, defense, special teams, Staal does it all. Staal wins you championships. Gaborik is nothing but a very very good secondary player.


Stats do not tell you anything, I would love to have a player with the versatility of Jordan Staal on my team and Minnesota would jump for joy at a Staal for Gaborik proposal from the pens.
Killiecrankie
 

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:50 am

Killiecrankie wrote:Staal is a better overall player NOW than Gaborik is.


:shock:

staal has like 24 assists in 160 games. stats don't tell the whole story, but this stat trumps all circumstantial bias. he's simply not developed enough on offense yet.

it's not even close right now. and it's not like gaborik is a slouch in his own end either.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am

shmenguin wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:Staal is a better overall player NOW than Gaborik is.


:shock:

staal has like 24 assists in 160 games. stats don't tell the whole story, but this stat trumps all circumstantial bias. he's simply not developed enough on offense yet.

it's not even close right now. and it's not like gaborik is a slouch in his own end either.



I understand that, but his value to the penguins during their playoff run was greater than the value of a Gaborik. Did you watch Minnesota in the playoffs? Gaborik would score 50 goals with Sid easy, but Staal has the ability to put up 30 with Malkin AND do other.
Killiecrankie
 

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby André on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 am

Killiecrankie wrote:Staal is a better overall player NOW than Gaborik is. Gaborik is a one trick pony, a pure goal scorer. Those are valuable, but Staal can do ANYTHING well and does certain things extremely well. Offense, defense, special teams, Staal does it all. Staal wins you championships. Gaborik is nothing but a very very good secondary player.


Stats do not tell you anything, I would love to have a player with the versatility of Jordan Staal on my team and Minnesota would jump for joy at a Staal for Gaborik proposal from the pens.


No. Minnesota would not trade Gaborik for Staal straight up. Unless they were a 100% certain he wouldn't resign with them or something like that.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,287
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:Staal is a better overall player NOW than Gaborik is.


:shock:

staal has like 24 assists in 160 games. stats don't tell the whole story, but this stat trumps all circumstantial bias. he's simply not developed enough on offense yet.

it's not even close right now. and it's not like gaborik is a slouch in his own end either.



I understand that, but his value to the penguins during their playoff run was greater than the value of a Gaborik. Did you watch Minnesota in the playoffs? Gaborik would score 50 goals with Sid easy, but Staal has the ability to put up 30 with Malkin AND do other.


just because staal fit better for us in the playoffs more than gaborik would (which isn't even true but whatev) doesn't mean he's better. ability wise, gaborik kills him (right now).

and staal put up 12 last year, not 30.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Scott on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Please no.

Staal is more valuable to the Pens than Gaborik ever could be. Add in the fact that the best is still to come with Staal... :)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Scott wrote:Please no.

Staal is more valuable to the Pens than Gaborik ever could be. Add in the fact that the best is still to come with Staal... :)


i'm sorry. gaborik had 83 points last year. staal had 28.

i like staal and i don't really care about having gaborik on the team, but the notion that right now staal would be more valuable to the pens than gaborik is just too crazy to ignore.

this is the '07 staal vs. malkin thread all over again.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Scott on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Scott wrote:Please no.

Staal is more valuable to the Pens than Gaborik ever could be. Add in the fact that the best is still to come with Staal... :)


i'm sorry. gaborik had 83 points last year. staal had 28.

i like staal and i don't really care about having gaborik on the team, but the notion that right now staal would be more valuable to the pens than gaborik is just too crazy to ignore.

this is the '07 staal vs. malkin thread all over again.



Who wouldn't like to see what Gaborik could do playing with Crosby and Malkin...that is a no brainer...

however my statement was valuable to the Pens. Not in a scoring debate.

The Pens already have adequate scoring. Staal is more valuable to the Pens due to his PK skills, his back checking, face offs, his reach (ever notice how that reach drives players with the puck insane? )
Now if he can put his offensive game or atleast keep his game going from the post season...now you have a 70 point guy that plays a complete game. I can see that being a reality if he gets #1 PP time.
20 years old!

I'll take #11 thanks
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Scott wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Scott wrote:Please no.

Staal is more valuable to the Pens than Gaborik ever could be. Add in the fact that the best is still to come with Staal... :)


i'm sorry. gaborik had 83 points last year. staal had 28.

i like staal and i don't really care about having gaborik on the team, but the notion that right now staal would be more valuable to the pens than gaborik is just too crazy to ignore.

this is the '07 staal vs. malkin thread all over again.



Who wouldn't like to see what Gaborik could do playing with Crosby and Malkin...that is a no brainer...

however my statement was valuable to the Pens. Not in a scoring debate.

The Pens already have adequate scoring. Staal is more valuable to the Pens due to his PK skills, his back checking, face offs, his reach (ever notice how that reach drives players with the puck insane? )
Now if he can put his offensive game or atleast keep his game going from the post season...now you have a 70 point guy that plays a complete game. I can see that being a reality if he gets #1 PP time.
20 years old!

I'll take #11 thanks


I don't think Staal is quite a 70 point guy. He may be up there because of Malkin, but with players who are one of the best in the world, he's nowhere near 70 points.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Scott wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Scott wrote:Please no.

Staal is more valuable to the Pens than Gaborik ever could be. Add in the fact that the best is still to come with Staal... :)


i'm sorry. gaborik had 83 points last year. staal had 28.

i like staal and i don't really care about having gaborik on the team, but the notion that right now staal would be more valuable to the pens than gaborik is just too crazy to ignore.

this is the '07 staal vs. malkin thread all over again.



Who wouldn't like to see what Gaborik could do playing with Crosby and Malkin...that is a no brainer...

however my statement was valuable to the Pens. Not in a scoring debate.

The Pens already have adequate scoring. Staal is more valuable to the Pens due to his PK skills, his back checking, face offs, his reach (ever notice how that reach drives players with the puck insane? )
Now if he can put his offensive game or atleast keep his game going from the post season...now you have a 70 point guy that plays a complete game. I can see that being a reality if he gets #1 PP time.
20 years old!

I'll take #11 thanks



i see the reason behind your point, i just think that there is such a large offensive disparity between the 2 that staal's defense wouldn't make up for it.

having gaborik would be like having hossa. and hossa was much more valuable than staal in the playoffs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,215
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:this is the '07 staal vs. malkin thread all over again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,983
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Gabby for Staal???

Postby shane613 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 am

Killiecrankie wrote:Gaborik is nothing but a very very good secondary player.


Gaborik isn't a secondary player in Minnesota, and he wouldn't be a secondary player in Pittsburgh. He would be on the top line and top power play.

Staal is a very good secondary player, and last season he was a very good third...thirdary(?) player.

EDIT: tertiary :) thanks dictionary.com
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Defence21, Jim, lemieuxReturns, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, meow, sjnhiils, Take the Body Shoot the Puck and 16 guests

e-mail