Defensemen Surplus

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Defensemen Surplus

Postby Billkamm on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Even with Gonchar and Whitney hurt we still 7 defensemen:

Orpik, Letang, Goligoski, Eaton, Gill, Scuderi, and Sydor.

That leaves us 9 defensemen. Who do you sit of those 9? Hell, who do you sit of those 7 until Gonch and Whitney come back? (This is a good problem to have huh?)
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Defensemen Surplus

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Until Gonchar and Whitney get back, Sydor, Scuderi, and Eaton will all see a little time in the press box. Sydor spends the majority of time sitting out though.

When Gonchar and Whitney get back, Sydor is in the press box, as is Scuderi. Goligoski likely goes back to the AHL, unless he is absolutely tremendous while he's up here early in the year.

It's a good problem to have. :D
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Is Goligoski impressing everyone THAT much that he is a sure shot at starting while Gonchar is out? I still see him as being fringe. Is this just more massive over-rating of him?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 pm

or is it a combo of over-rating Goligoski and the under-rating of Sydor?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 pm

From all reports I've read, even Pen's management think GoGo is ready for the big show. He's played quite well in pre-season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 pm

But is it so much that it's like the poster above thinks? He is a definite starter while Scuderi, Sydor, and Eaton rotate because he's that much better than them...?

I don't know because I can't go out and watch the games/camp/practices.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 pm

Yup. Gogo has looked good so far.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Kicksave on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:54 pm

This is what I'm thinking. Correct me if I'm completely off base here...

Orpik - Letang
Gogo - Eaton
Gil - Richmond
Ex: Scud, Sydor

I haven't gotten to see a game, but from what I've read Richmond has looked impressive. With both Whit and Gonch out, we need to fill a few spots on the power play. I know Orpik 'could' play on the PP, but I'd much rather him play ES and pick up some PK time.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Alex Goligoski is ready to take regular shifts, but that doesn't mean there aren't going to be growing pains. In the home game against Tampa, Goligoski kept getting into trouble in his end by attempting to skate the puck out of trouble a lot. He learned that night that while he might have been able to do that in the AHL and in college, the NHL is a different story. The forecheckers get on you quicker there. Against Toronto, I didn't see that happen as much.

He's come a long way since being the worst draft pick ever. :wink:

Darryl Sydor should have been in the top 6, even before Gonchar got hurt. He can still play.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

To me Scuderi is the scratch.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Scuds is banged up a bit too, right? I'd like to see this:

Letang-Orpik
Eaton-Gogo
Gill-Sydor

That would be the most balanced.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:07 pm

DelPen wrote:Scuds is banged up a bit too, right? I'd like to see this:

Letang-Orpik
Eaton-Gogo
Gill-Sydor

Yeah, thats why I'd pick him to scratch for now. If not, I'd actually have to think about it. Not that I get to make the decision anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensManiac55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 pm

GoGo was extremely aggressive last night. He looked quick and willing to jump in on the offensive. He got caught out of position once or twice, but nothing came of it. I was impressed.

Sydor, while I've always liked him, did look a step behind from time to time. He's still a solid veteran defenseman, but I think taking the chance on GoGo's raw ability would be the right move at this point.
PensManiac55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Goligoski was manning the left point on the top power play unit last night. He's in the lineup.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Yeah, i'd like to see DelPens pairs posted above, i'm almost sure those will be the players that play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:29 pm

This is like people asking what to do with Fleury when he comes back during Conklin's hot streak last year. By the time both Gonchar and Whitney are healthy, a lot can happen. It's a good bet someone else will get hurt in the mean time, or someone will play themselves out (like Conklin did).

In the perfect scenario that they actually have all nine healthy, Goligoski gets sent down if he hasn't established himself as an NHLer, Sydor gets moved, and Scuderi is the seventh D. This is the scenario I pictured for the start of the season with no injuries, but that's not happening and realistically I'm not expecting that to ever be the case. These things work themselves out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

DelPen wrote:Scuds is banged up a bit too, right? I'd like to see this:

Letang-Orpik
Eaton-Gogo
Gill-Sydor

That's what they used last night, and in practice today. I think they'll keep 8 D, and the way the injury bug has hit, we'll probably need them. If Richmond needs to clear waivers, i doubt he'd clear. Shero can alway send him down for "conditioning" to keep him in game shape.

1 Crosby
2 Malkin
3 Staal
4 Satan
5 Sykora
6 Talbot
7 Dupuis
8 Cooke
9 Fedotenko
10 Kennedy
11 Godard
12 Taffe
13 Bissonette/Pesonen/Thomas/James
14 Orpik
15 Goligoski
16 Letang
17 Eaton
18 Gill
19 Sydor
20 Scuderi
21 Richmond
22 Fleury
23 Sabourin
*24 Curry

*European Vacation
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 am

i'm thinking D pairings more like this:

Sydor-Orpik
Letang-Gill
Goligoski-Eaton

...no reason for letang to get work with orpik just so that he can get a new partner when gonchar returns.

sydor and/or goligoski should get the go with orpik, and let letang work with someone he will spend time with this season (eaton or gill)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wallflower on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:07 am

Mr. Colby wrote:i'm thinking D pairings more like this:

Sydor-Orpik
Letang-Gill
Goligoski-Eaton

...no reason for letang to get work with orpik just so that he can get a new partner when gonchar returns.

sydor and/or goligoski should get the go with orpik, and let letang work with someone he will spend time with this season (eaton or gill)

While I understand your thought process, there's more that needs to be taken into account. Orpik is one half of the top pairing and he's going to (on most nights) get the most even strength minutes on D. Therrien is going to want to pair him with someone else who should be getting those sort of minutes along with him - taking personnel into consideration, Letang is the obvious choice.

Putting Goligoski with Eaton then makes the most sense; having a bit of a safety net for Goligoski's inevitable defensive deficiencies. And then Sydor with Gill. Though, the lack of speed on that pairing - much like the Gill/Scuderi pairing - does give me a little pause but they're the 3rd pairing so they shouldn't be getting as many ES minutes anyhow.

Since MT stuck with the same pairings in practice today as he used last night, I'd say he's satisfied with things at the moment.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 am

I agree with Pens20. Gogo does have what it takes, but he was also responsible for a few major opponent chances and one goal in the last game (the last goal). Give him top minutes in WBS for a few weeks like Letang had last year, and give Richmond a shot. Richmond has surprising good from all acounts and if he continues to play well, then maybe you showcase him for possible trade? With Gogo and Lovejoy in the wings, and Richmond playing well, this SURPLUS is a good thing. Scuds could easily get re-injured. Eaton, errr, nothing, forget I said him... who?

If Sydor and Richmond play decently, they could be decent trade material (when we get healthy D back).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:06 am

Unless hurt, why woudl Eaton sit at all?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:16 am

My brain my be foggy, but didn't Orpik and letang play together a lot last year? This was prior to the highly regarded late season pairing of Orpik-Gonchar
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tinker on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 am

I agree with Mr. Colby. I think for Letang, he should be paired with whichever D man will likely be his partner if Gonchar were not out. Stability and familiarity for him should be a primary objective. Eaton seems to provide the most of that, except the past 2 years injury-shortened seasons.

As far as Orpik automatically being in the top pairing, I think that changes. He is not a #2 d-man without being able to compliment a true #1 like Gonchar. I may pair him with Gill and let Syd/Scuds play with Gogo, so he has either a great vet to play with or a very reliable stay at home Scuds. i Know this is counter-intuitive to what I said earlier about Letang & stability, but Letang should have a greater role than Gogo.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:45 am

When Brooks was talking with Jim Colony yesterday he mentioned D Richmond as a young player he was impressed with. Not sure if he was already sent to WBS.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:14 am

People forget eaton was our best defensive defensemen before he got hurt. Now he's going to be spending time in the pressbox??
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins