My Perspective on Last Night..From Behind the Glass..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My Perspective on Last Night..From Behind the Glass..

Postby PensManiac55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Well, first off, I received the wonderful news from my father that he received tickets to twenty home games (from his boss..for free) this season. That means I get to go, haha. Very exciting stuff. The even better part is that these seats are in section A12, row A. Right behind the glass on the side in which our Penguins shoot twice! Amazing.

Anyhow, seeing as the game wasn't televised last night I figured I'd offer some basic observations.

- I was really impressed with Satan. The guy is a hard worker, especially in the offensive zone. He had quite a few pick-pockets last night and never really seemed to slow down. I was also surprised with the amount of time he saw on the PK. Apparently MT has some of the same observations that I've had. Consider me impressed with this signing for now.

- Speaking of signings, I thought our other two were fantastic. Fedo has a motor that never really stops and Cooke is just fearless. I really like the way Ruslan plays the game - he puts a lot of effort and heart out there. I think he could easily be a top six forward for us, but I like the idea of him on our third line. That could be a dangerous grouping. Cooke is fast and clearly is more of an offensive presence than Ruutu (we all knew that though).

- 67, consider me impressed. I can only imagine what Paul did to deserve a 10 minute misconduct, haha. Still though, he looked great in his little scuffle and really just went head-hunting out there. Good work, and I think we'll see him quite a few times this season.

- I'm really not worried about the toughness of this team after watching our performance up close yesterday evening. This team just has an overall toughness that is so underrated. Staal, while he'll never be a true PF, was excellent last night. He had some beautiful takeaways and wasted no time planting himself in front of the net on our PP. Impressive. Our second (1A, 1B...whatever you prefer) line will be very dangerous this year.

- Tang and GoGo were caught out of position a few times, but I was still impressed with their aggressiveness. Neither player was hesitant in the least bit to jump into the offensive zone. We'll need that desire to score with Gonch and Whitney down.

- Speaking of our PP, it was very impressive early on. I was very glad to see that we constantly had someone planted in front of the net. We controlled the puck excellently and were rarely hesitant to shoot from any angle. With all the talent on this team that's how our PP should work.

- Geno. What can you say about him? The SH goal was a thing of beauty by both Staal and Malkin. His aggressive play on the PK forced a mistake that resulted in a goal. I can see that happening a few times this year if Malkin and Sid both play consistently on the PK. He was just toying with people out there last night - he's prone to the occasional giveaway, but he's just simply one of the best. Again, we all knew this.

- Mad Max, Taffe, and the rest of our grinders looked excellent. Again, these guys are all 'tough' players in the sense of constantly pressuring the opponents into mistakes. They're physical in their own way. Speaking of excellent, Tyler Kennedy looks like the Tyler Kennedy we all originally fell in love with.

- Despite the two late goals, Sabu was very impressive. He had an amazing sequence when he pulled a kick-save and gobbled up the rebound. Very MAF-like. If he plays like that with decent consistency we'll be just fine.

- I'm glad you're back, Brooks. He looks so solid out there. His positioning and timing have improved so much from a year ago; it's incredible. He's become excellent with the poke-check.

- Crowd was very into it early. Impressive for an exhibition. Now, I can't wait to get in those seats for the real thing. We're so close!! The tension is unbearable, haha.
PensManiac55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: My Perspective on Last Night..From Behind the Glass..

Postby PensManiac55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Oh yeah, that was my first post, haha. I've read the boards for a while but never really got around to posting.
PensManiac55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Thats an epic first post. So long I couldn't read the whole thing, but I agree on the part of it that I read. Welcome to the board.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensManiac55 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats an epic first post. So long I couldn't read the whole thing, but I agree on the part of it that I read. Welcome to the board.

Eh, what can I say? I'm excited for some hockey, haha.
PensManiac55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lumbergh on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:21 pm

PensManiac55 wrote:Well, first off, I received the wonderful news from my father that he received tickets to twenty home games (from his boss..for free) this season. That means I get to go, haha. Very exciting stuff. The even better part is that these seats are in section A12, row A. Right behind the glass on the side in which our Penguins shoot twice! Amazing.

This is filthy! I'm enormously jealous. When you're dad is ready to retire, let me know. If his job requires surfing the internet, zoning out for hours, napping, staying on your lunch break too long, and/or generally being lazy, I'm the guy.
Lumbergh
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:52 pm

If you can't make it to any game....

Anyway, welcome to the board.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wallflower on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:56 am

PensManiac55 wrote:Oh yeah, that was my first post, haha. I've read the boards for a while but never really got around to posting.

Welcome! And thank you so much for the write up - I always love hearing how people at the games interpret things.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:38 am

welcome to the board.

Postive well written posts are always welcome! Keep the thick skin handy though, sometimes people get cranky.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 am

I agree about the toughness thing; they are a team, and people will come to the aid of any of them.
A12 is pretty nice for an up close look at how skilled hockey players are.
Brooks et al defense better be wearing garlic and Eaton has to travel in a bubble; cannot lose anyone else. :)

Welcome here and be at home~ most are friendly types.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tinker on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:08 am

Great first post. Definitley keep the thick skin around though.

The only precautionary thing I would say is that the Pens played what amounts to a fairly good AHL team. If they resign Sundin, which I would doubt, they are a totally different team. But for a Ron Wilson team, for 2 periods, they didn't even show up. Part of that could be the Pens taking it to them and capitalizing early, but my guess is that Wilson won't tolerate the lack of effort that existed.

BTW, anyone slightly concerned about the tie between Chuck & Cliff Fletcher? If nepotism is possible anywhere (JFJ) it could happen in TOR, and he would have to take it.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensManiac55 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah, the Leafs looked absolutely inept the first two periods. Sabu did rob them a few times though, which is a comforting thought. I know better than to make a seasons worth of observations off of one night, but the Penguins were clearly the much, much, much superior team the other night. I just want real hockey, haha.
PensManiac55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Garbageman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am

PensManiac55 wrote: I know better than to make a seasons worth of observations off of one night,

I think you are on the wrong board.
The Garbageman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins