LeBrun...Writer, Analyst, Rumor mongerer?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

LeBrun...Writer, Analyst, Rumor mongerer?

Postby Samsdog on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 am

I'm a big fan of the guy ESPN.com got to replace Melrose, and I love being able to read an NHL blog without paying for "all of the fantastic premium insider features". But seriously, what is it with these people and Gaborik coming here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... run_pierre

I know he just said it was what he would do, but it's starting to get annoying. Gaborik is not coming here. The Penguins are not going to give up their young assets to do it. They are pushed against the cap. Quit bringing it up, Pierre. The end.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LeBrun...Writer, Analyst, Rumor mongerer?

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 am

He didn't say it will happen. He simply said the first team Minny's GM should contact is the Penguins, as they are thin at wing and have two world class centers. It makes sense to explore. Its' not rumor mongering. It's not stupidity. It's common sense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Unless Minnesota is willing to take Satan and/or Fedotenko, there's no way we can make this trade.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Unless Minnesota is willing to take Satan and/or Fedotenko, there's no way we can make this trade.

Why? We are saving around $5M against the cap with Gonchar and Whitney being out. We have more than enough room for just about anyone to come in.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:39 pm

In the comments section on that page, someone said that Staal, Goligoski, and a pick (2nd round?) could get Gaborik here.

Yes or no?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:42 pm

And what happens when Whitney (and later Gonchar) return, along with their contracts after you've taken on Gaborik's salary? All of the sudden you HAVE to move salary and all the other GMs know it. Doesn't work.

And the Pens can't afford to trade anyone for a rental again. The only way a Gaborik deal even gets discussed is if the Pens get permission to talk extension with him first. Minnesota would likely be fine with that, as it would increase their return.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:50 pm

WWGRD wrote:In the comments section on that page, someone said that Staal, Goligoski, and a pick (2nd round?) could get Gaborik here.

Yes or no?

I'd think more would be coming back our way (prospect and/or pick), plus Gaborik would have to sign an extension first. That is FAR too much for a possible rental. Hossa didn't cost nearly that much as far as player caliber.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 pm

the only way i would do the deal is if it was Staal for Gaborik (with a contract in place)
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 pm

pens#1 wrote:the only way i would do the deal is if it was Staal for Gaborik (with a contract in place)

That would work. Plus I just did it on NHL 09 and they accepted.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 pm

WWGRD wrote:
pens#1 wrote:the only way i would do the deal is if it was Staal for Gaborik (with a contract in place)

That would work. Plus I just did it on NHL 09 and they accepted.

are you be sarcastic or agreeing with me? i dont know anymore on here
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Even if we get the extension, it would be Kennedy, Gologoski and a 1st and more.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:36 pm

pens#1, I am agreeing with you. I want Gaborik on this team. Do it.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:38 pm

DelPen wrote:Even if we get the extension, it would be Kennedy, Gologoski and a 1st and more.

i think Staal would have to be apart of it just because of the cap for next season - i dont see how we can have Gaborik at 7+ and staal at maybe 4
i know its all speculation at this point but if Satan doesnt work out i can see them making the move -Sid with a great winger is better than having another center(Staal) IMO
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 pm

DelPen wrote:Even if we get the extension, it would be Kennedy, Gologoski and a 1st and more.

Kopitar for Gaborik straight up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 am

i just think we need to see satan and fedo for a few months... sid just finds ways to work well with anyone..

see: hilbert, andy
armstrong, colby
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:44 am

scals37 wrote:i just think we need to see satan and fedo for a few months... sid just finds ways to work well with anyone..

armstrong, colby

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to say. Does Sid actually need a high-scoring winger on his side? No, he doesn't. He can do just fine with Satan and Feds. Just give it some time and hope for the best. That being said, I think both Sid and Geno will have their coming out parties tonight against the Flyers.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:46 am

scals37 wrote:i just think we need to see satan and fedo for a few months... sid just finds ways to work well with anyone..

armstrong, colby

Nils Ekman

LMAO
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:36 am

The more you read these rumors and posts, the more I realize how much losing Hossa kills the dynamic of this team...They could have had Crosby/Hossa together for 7 years! that is annual contender...Really hurts. I don't blame the pens obviously, but seeing Satan/Fedotenko makes you wish...

I guess I could have posted this in the Hossa thread, but I didn't want to bump that up = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am

Why So Serious? wrote:

armstrong, colby

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to say. Does Sid actually need a high-scoring winger on his side? No, he doesn't. He can do just fine with Satan and Feds. Just give it some time and hope for the best. That being said, I think both Sid and Geno will have their coming out parties tonight against the Flyers.

you're right, he doesn't need a lot of talent on his wings to produce. BUT...

he needs an effective power play to produce. he gets an inordinate amount of points from the power play. he's been productive at even strength, but not the "plug anyone in and he'll be fine" player he's made out to be. i think satan and Player X will suffice once everyone gets into a groove, but satan is pretty much the minimum level of player i'd want in that spot. i don't know what the options are for next year; we're in a unique position of having 2 centers this expensive. it's all uncharted waters, so i can't even guess at what's best.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:25 pm

a "fill in" winger does not work, the Hilberts and Armstongs of the world will not equal playoff success
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins