in goal for the flyers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

in goal for the flyers

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 am

http://www.courierpostonline.com/articl ... 002/sports

Marty Biron off to a bad start so pens will face Antero Niittymaki.

May or October, always time to beat the flyers. Here's hoping Sid finds his scoring touch tonight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,489
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 am

gee. the flyers giving up 9 goals in 2 games. who woulda thunk it?

you mean timonen, coburn and 4 AHL'ers have NOT been playing lights out defense?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,378
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 am

Biron has been horrible...He is now on the bench in my fantasy league!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby pens#1 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:58 am

crosby has owned Nitty
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,885
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: allentown

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 am

I have a question about Mellon Arena policies and I dont want to type up a new topic about it so I'll ask here.


I have a digital SLR (canon rebel xti) with my 75-300 lens that is 5 inches in length.... I think they're regulation is 3 inches on "larger" lenses....Anyone know how I can get away with this? Im not using a manual flash tonight.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,070
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Eismann on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09 am

Alberts will save the day

:pop:
:puke:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,370
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Somebody's funny nightmare

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby mac5155 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 am

wasnt nittymaki hurt at the beginning of the season?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,368
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby pens#1 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 am

mac5155 wrote:wasnt nittymaki hurt at the beginning of the season?


thats what i thought also - i was thinking we would see Aubin (ah the memories)
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,885
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: allentown

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby ShipHockey7 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 am

I went to the Flyers opener (for free) with obnoxious Flyer friends/fans...and Biron looked terrible, but Nittymaki looked pretty decent actually, stoned Drury from like 3 feet away on a one timer...I'd rather face the big joke of Biron
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,285
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby sdm5055 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 am

pens#1 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:wasnt nittymaki hurt at the beginning of the season?


thats what i thought also - i was thinking we would see Aubin (ah the memories)


he was but he recovered in time for the season opener Aubin is a Phantom now
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,013
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Back in the P to the A

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 am

It doesn't matter who is in net, if we settle for 14 shots, it's going to be another long and embarrassing night.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:04 pm

I hate to slam Nitty, I mean he's had some good games. However, we always have a field day with him it seems. Hopefully this will work to our advantage and we will be able to capitalize on the momentum gained from a win tonight. Either way, it's going to be a physical game, and we still have to see if our new "physical" players are up to the challenge. Considering the way Bobby Holik performed as his normal, over-the-hill pissed off self, I still have my doubts.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,221
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Ron` on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:11 pm

On a side note, Conklin looked very good last night. So don't under estimate Nitty to steal the show.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby wallflower on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Ron` wrote:On a side note, Conklin looked very good last night. So don't under estimate Nitty to steal the show.

I don't think it's underestimating Niitymaki so much as that Niitymaki always seems to have awful games against the Pens.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Fleury is 11-2-0 with a 2.22 GAA in his last 13 regular-season games against Philadelphia.

Including the postseason, the Flyers have won just once in their last 12 trips to Pittsburgh.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Jesse wrote:Fleury is 11-2-0 with a 2.22 GAA in his last 13 regular-season games gainst Philadelphia.

Including the postseason, the Flyers have won just once in their last 12 trips to Pittsburgh.


And the fact that Umberger is gone just increases our good fortune. He seems to be the only one I was ever really concerned about when Philly came to town.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,221
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Knuble also torches us from time to time, but has been less effective since we got Hal Gill (coincedence?).

He has also yet to score this year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby npv708 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:26 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
Jesse wrote:Fleury is 11-2-0 with a 2.22 GAA in his last 13 regular-season games gainst Philadelphia.

Including the postseason, the Flyers have won just once in their last 12 trips to Pittsburgh.


And the fact that Umberger is gone just increases our good fortune. He seems to be the only one I was ever really concerned about when Philly came to town.


Only what another 12 years until its roughly even...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Niittymaki career against Pittsburgh:

12 GP, 11 GS, 4-5-2, 4.32 GAA, .858 SV%
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm

npv708 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
Jesse wrote:Fleury is 11-2-0 with a 2.22 GAA in his last 13 regular-season games gainst Philadelphia.

Including the postseason, the Flyers have won just once in their last 12 trips to Pittsburgh.


And the fact that Umberger is gone just increases our good fortune. He seems to be the only one I was ever really concerned about when Philly came to town.


Only what another 12 years until its roughly even...


I'm thinking short-term, not long-term. :D
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,221
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby stopper40 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:40 pm

shmenguin wrote:gee. the flyers giving up 9 goals in 2 games. who woulda thunk it?

you mean timonen, coburn and 4 AHL'ers have NOT been playing lights out defense?


It has to be Biron's fault, afterall aren't Timonen and Coburn the 2nd coming of Orr and Robinson?
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,575
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby Guido on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:gee. the flyers giving up 9 goals in 2 games. who woulda thunk it?

you mean timonen, coburn and 4 AHL'ers have NOT been playing lights out defense?


I believe the most awesome defenseman of all time (Timonen, as he was dubbed last year when he was out during the Eastern Conference Finals) was a whopping -3 against the Habs last night.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,738
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: PA

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby demangone on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Who else did the Flyers gain and lose? I know Jason Smith is gone, which is great. Hatcher is out of commission, possibly forever. Umberger went to Ohio. Briere is still an elf. Did Randy Jones or Downie get suspended yet? Gagne is back, but he's a concussion away from retirement. Oh and they got Glen Metropolit, who tied his career high 33 points last year. I'm feeling pretty good about tonight.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: Norfside, Pixburgh

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:04 pm

demangone wrote:Who else did the Flyers gain and lose? I know Jason Smith is gone, which is great. Hatcher is out of commission, possibly forever. Umberger went to Ohio. Briere is still an elf. Did Randy Jones or Downie get suspended yet? Gagne is back, but he's a concussion away from retirement. Oh and they got Glen Metropolit, who tied his career high 33 points last year. I'm feeling pretty good about tonight.


i think i heard randy jones is out 12-14 months. jones isn't a dirty player (he's not even very aggressive), so i don't revel in his injury....but he did mess that guy up on a sloppy, stupid decision, so maybe there is some karma at play.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,378
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: in goal for the flyers

Postby scals37 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

pens#1 wrote:crosby has owned Nitty


the entire NHL has owned nitty
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,683
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Joe Baggadonuts' House

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

e-mail