SATAN and FEDEX just bridges?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SATAN and FEDEX just bridges?

Postby icecats30 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 pm

im just curious what everyone else thinks, because when we signed both of them the immediate thought i had was why only 1 year each? sure they had bad years in NY but shero seems to be the type to show some loyalty to the veteran FA's he has signed (sykora 2yrs, sydor 2 years, eaton a new 2 yrs).

So not putting their performance on the ice in thought (they could be lights out or huge disapp.) does anyone else thing that RS already has a target on a player or two that he will actively pursue? I dont have the list of potential FAs and honestly i dont care what its look like because plenty of them could still be resigned, but is their any high profile high talent players that we could make a good pitch to in the 5 to 6 mil range?
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: SATAN and FEDEX just bridges?

Postby scals37 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:19 pm

fedo didnt have "bad" years in NY... he has been strangely a extrememly consistent 35-45 point per season range on just about every team hes been on.... no different there

as for your question, Shero has to find a way to fill out a team after the big salaries of a crosby, malkin, gonchar, whitney, and eventually staal by plugging in players not demanding the huge dollars.... you do that by drafting well (and often, by not dropping picks left and right), and picking up free agents, not demanding too much, that might be gambles (Risk vs Reward). As for the whole trading thing everyone has been so hooked on since the hossa trade, do we really absolutely need to do that year in year out??
Last edited by scals37 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Yes. Name: Marian Gaborik.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Pitts wrote:Yes. Name: Marian Gaborik.

I think M. Hossa.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Paekman on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I tend to believe that Shero envisions players like Staal, Caputi and Pierro-Zabotel filling in our vacant top 6 forward spots over the next several seasons. So, yes, Satan and Fedotenko are bridges, but the promised land is going to most likely have to be home-grown talent, not a massive free agent acquisition.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby icecats30 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

you must of missed me saying some in the 5-6 mil range.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm

I think so. I think the delay that was caused by the Hossa signing left Shero with only a few choices. Satan and Fedetenko were available at a reasonable price, and didn't seem to mind a one year deal. They are pretty good players too, but not the long term solution.

And no, Gaborik and Hossa are not coming here. They are too expensive. And before you say, "we tried to sign Hossa in June", if he would have signed, Orpik would be gone and our funds would be diverted elsewhere. That ship has now sailed.

If we do sign on of them for that price ($8-9MM) range, I will be upset.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:36 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

I think M. Hossa.

Neither.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:39 pm

newarenanow wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

I think M. Hossa.

Neither.

please. marcel hossa could EASILY be had for under 6 million
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

They are absolutely bridges to something bigger and better....Gionta and Havlat...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I agree that they were stalling until they could net a decent FA winger. When Hossa told them he was gone most of the guys were gone, and it was a pretty thin list to begin with. There's a lot more guys slated to be FA's and a few decent 5-6 mill range players. I'm stuck on Tanguay myself, but Gionta as well. Havlat I'm not touching with a 20 foot pole, to injury prone.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:05 pm

icecats30 wrote:

No, but bump it a bit. Marian Gaborik: 5 years, $7 mil per = 4 Stanley Cups.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seth on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:06 pm

you know the more and more i look at it, I'm not sure how we can afford a guy like tanguay or gionta... i mean currently we are only 100k-300k or so below the cap ceiling (depending on what site you look at) and with the way the economy is looking, i can't see the cap taking another jump here soon. plus lets not forget malkin's deal isn't kicked in yet and what kind of offer staal gets

but i'll go ahead and contradict myself by saying that gill, sydor, and scuderi are UFAs coming up and if let go, they will give some room... so i guess just think what you want
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Samsdog on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

seth wrote:you know the more and more i look at it, I'm not sure how we can afford a guy like tanguay or gionta... i mean currently we are only 100k-300k or so below the cap ceiling (depending on what site you look at) and with the way the economy is looking, i can't see the cap taking another jump here soon. plus lets not forget malkin's deal isn't kicked in yet and what kind of offer staal gets

but i'll go ahead and contradict myself by saying that gill, sydor, and scuderi are UFAs coming up and if let go, they will give some room... so i guess just think what you want

I like pretending it could happen. I feel like if I'm not screaming GABORIK I can pretend there's some logic to my thoughts. I'm sure others feel the same.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Pitts wrote:
icecats30 wrote:

No, but bump it a bit. Marian Gaborik: 5 years, $7 mil per = 4 Stanley Cups.

No, it really doesn't.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby seth on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Samsdog wrote:
seth wrote:you know the more and more i look at it, I'm not sure how we can afford a guy like tanguay or gionta... i mean currently we are only 100k-300k or so below the cap ceiling (depending on what site you look at) and with the way the economy is looking, i can't see the cap taking another jump here soon. plus lets not forget malkin's deal isn't kicked in yet and what kind of offer staal gets

I like pretending it could happen. I feel like if I'm not screaming GABORIK I can pretend there's some logic to my thoughts. I'm sure others feel the same.

oh yeah, it's possible if shero can make the right moves
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm

newarenanow wrote:If we do sign on of them for that price ($8-9MM) range, I will be upset.

Prepare to be upset, then.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Kicksave wrote:
newarenanow wrote:If we do sign on of them for that price ($8-9MM) range, I will be upset.

You think the Pens are going to get a big gun then Kicksave?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Kicksave wrote:

Shero won't spend that much cash. He realizes that the NHL is not a video game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:22 pm

We're getting Gaborik - get over it. :)
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

Crap. I was hoping the real Pens would match my NHL '08 lines of Kovalchuk-Crosby-Hossa-Gonchar-Phaneuf and Ovechkin-Jokinen-Malkin-Letang-Kubina.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

If this team is in need of a scoring winger at the deadline, he'll make a move.

You're right, this isn't a video game. This guy has a staff working year round on how to make things like this fit in the budget.

Sydor, Gil, Satan, Fedo and Sykora all com off the books. That's roughly $10.35 mil coming off the cap.

Staal will need to be resigned. He'll probably cost somewhere between $4-5 million.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a sign & trade with the Wild if it meant Gaborik coming to the Pens. That leaves enough money to re-sign Syko to a similar contract.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Kicksave wrote:
If this team is in need of a scoring winger at the deadline, he'll make a move.

You're right, this isn't a video game. This guy has a staff working year round on how to make things like this fit in the budget.

Sydor, Gil, Satan, Fedo and Sykora all com off the books. That's roughly $10.35 mil coming off the cap.

Staal will need to be resigned. He'll probably cost somewhere between $4-5 million.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a sign & trade with the Wild if it meant Gaborik coming to the Pens. That leaves enough money to re-sign Syko to a similar contract.

So five guys are coming off the books, saving $10.35MM. You are going to resign Sykora for around $2.0M, give Staal a $2-3M raise, and Gaborik $7.5M. So you are getting five guys off the books and resigning one of them, adding one, and giving one a raise for $12M more? And we still have to sign/replace 3 players. Are the other three players going to be minimal salary players then from WBS?

Plus, if you are going to make that trade, you are going to be giving up some good prospects/3rd and 4th line players.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Staal would probably be dealt in any Gaborik trade.

What I meant was his $4-5 mil will go towards Gaborik, then we'll have cash left to fill out the rest of the roster.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't see a Gaborik signing..I would do flips if they did, but that is dangerous with the current cap situation. Unless the cap goes up considerably, it is very dangerous...

Gionta, Havlat, Cole, Tanguay, Sedin, Afingenov, Kotalik are players the pens should have real interest in...In a perfect world, they sign 2 from that group...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins