SATAN and FEDEX just bridges?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SATAN and FEDEX just bridges?

Postby cthulhuchrist on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Paekman wrote:I tend to believe that Shero envisions players like Staal, Caputi and Pierro-Zabotel filling in our vacant top 6 forward spots over the next several seasons. So, yes, Satan and Fedotenko are bridges, but the promised land is going to most likely have to be home-grown talent, not a massive free agent acquisition.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. You'd have to think at least one of those guys will really become a late pick nhl star like zetterberg. I'm referring more so to caputi and zabotel, i know that stall was a first rounder.

As far as the two current acquisitions i really still think Satan especially will find his groove and may stick around at least for a couple more years after that to be a cheap winger to play along side sid with some other winger flanking him (Gaborik, or someone of that nature.)
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Kicksave wrote:Is Alexander Frolov apart of the King's core? They aren't going after Dustin Brown. Frolov might be the option. Patrick O'Sullivan moves to wing. Kopitar/Brown on their first line, Staal/O'Sullivan on their 2nd line.

Frolov could be had. He doesn't have long to go on his contract though...I think maybe 2 more years at around $4MM per...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:25 pm

KG wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Is Alexander Frolov apart of the King's core? They aren't going after Dustin Brown. Frolov might be the option. Patrick O'Sullivan moves to wing. Kopitar/Brown on their first line, Staal/O'Sullivan on their 2nd line.

Frolov could be had. He doesn't have long to go on his contract though...I think maybe 2 more years at around $4MM per...

2 years at $2.9 mil.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Kicksave wrote:
If this team is in need of a scoring winger at the deadline, he'll make a move.

You're right, this isn't a video game. This guy has a staff working year round on how to make things like this fit in the budget.

Sydor, Gil, Satan, Fedo and Sykora all com off the books. That's roughly $10.35 mil coming off the cap.

Staal will need to be resigned. He'll probably cost somewhere between $4-5 million.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a sign & trade with the Wild if it meant Gaborik coming to the Pens. That leaves enough money to re-sign Syko to a similar contract.

I tend to agree that if the Pens are in dire need of a scoring winger that RS will make it happen. It may not necessarily be Gaborik but if Satan, Fedo and Staal aren't having some decent production, I don't see the Pens standing pat going into the stretch run and playoffs without a proven scorer coming in. By "proven scorer," I don't mean a guy whose numbers are dropping and is getting pretty old, either. Pens are already trying that now and if it isn't working come spring time, I don't see more of the same arriving in Pittsburgh.

After this season, the payroll could definitely change based on how this year ends as well as player demands. Staal may not get 4-5mil from the Pens. Sydor is definitely gone and Sykora and Gill could be as well and Satan/Fedo if they don't work out. If Gaborik is traded as a rental for the end of this year to somebody by the Wild or is kept, I can see RS pursuing him. I can see him going after Hossa again for that matter. It depends on what RS sees as the most pressing need that requires outside-the-organization assistance. There is zero doubt that he wanted big talent in Hossa enough this past off-season to lose Orpik and a couple of others. If what we have right now doesn't work as well as hoped for, I see RS going right back after the name and shedding some other parts.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Gaborik is old and busted.

I'm on the Frolov bandwagon now.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Bold statement of the day:

I would trade Jordan Staal for Dustin Brown straight up.

Why?

1. Staal's fit on this team in the long run is questionable at best.
2. It would be proposterous to pay him the 5 million he is going to command a year.
3. Dustin Brown, 23, is the perfect right winger for sid for the next 10 years.
4. Dustin Brown has a cap hit of 3.175 million until 2014-15.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Bold Statement of the day:

Staal for Brown is a no-brainier that wont happen because the Kings' already signed him to a long-term agreement and made him the captain.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Kicksave wrote:Bold Statement of the day:

Staal for Brown is a no-brainier that wont happen because the Kings' already signed him to a long-term agreement and made him the captain.

they are so damn lucky. they have him inked to an inexpensive long-term deal and it upsets me because he is like the perfect guy
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wallflower on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:03 pm

dagny wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Nathan Horton, anyone?

David Booth?

Seeley Booth?... oh, wait. . . wrong thread. :P

Oh! I <3 Booth - even despite David Boreanaz being a Flyers fan.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:19 pm

what will the Sedin twins command in FA next year- i think they both are scheduled to become UFA's
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Some Pete from McCandless had the same idea that I did on the Madden show via e-mail. He's a smart fella.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

KG wrote:They are absolutely bridges to something bigger and better....Gionta and Havlat...

Only if the games Havlat would actually play counted against the cap. In that case, we could all pitch in and cover it for a couple bucks each.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Bold statement of the day:

I would trade Jordan Staal for Dustin Brown straight up.

Why?

1. Staal's fit on this team in the long run is questionable at best.
2. It would be proposterous to pay him the 5 million he is going to command a year.
3. Dustin Brown, 23, is the perfect right winger for sid for the next 10 years.
4. Dustin Brown has a cap hit of 3.175 million until 2014-15.

Too bad LA doesn't agree.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 pm

pens#1 wrote:what will the Sedin twins command in FA next year- i think they both are scheduled to become UFA's

They are, but they're more playmakers than finishers, Henrik especially. Would just be more of what the Pens already have.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Samsdog wrote:
pens#1 wrote:what will the Sedin twins command in FA next year- i think they both are scheduled to become UFA's

They are, but they're more playmakers than finishers, Henrik especially. Would just be more of what the Pens already have.

I don't think they're allowed to be separated.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:03 pm

brwi wrote: There is zero doubt that he wanted big talent in Hossa enough this past off-season to lose Orpik and a couple of others. If what we have right now doesn't work as well as hoped for, I see RS going right back after the name and shedding some other parts.

You are correct.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm

I can't see the Pens going after Gaborik. Minnesota would need to take Staal and one of Satan/Fedotenko, + whatever else the market says. *unless they are able to have him sign first*

I see Shero with a few cards up his sleeves. It's going to depend on how well Staal plays as the LW on the Malkin line and how well Satan plays on Crosby's line. I wouldn't be surprised if he made another trade with Atlanta to get Kovalchuk (regardless of some issue he and Sid had).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby dagny on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 pm

wallflower wrote:
dagny wrote:
Pitts wrote:David Booth?

Seeley Booth?... oh, wait. . . wrong thread. :P

Oh! I <3 Booth - even despite David Boreanaz being a Flyers fan.

:lol: off topic, but. . .

Followed his nhl.com blog, (with gritted teeth during our series) through the playoffs.

Kevin Smith's blog was so good it made me wish NJ moved on a few more rounds! :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins