#1 Team in the East

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

#1 Team in the East

Postby steelcity8687 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:32 pm

I would like to preface this with the statement: "This has nothing to do with the performance of the Penguins or any other team in the East over the first few games of the season."

So, during the off-season many of the experts picked Montreal as the team to beat. I always quickly dismissed that argument as I saw them as the same team that hit the ice last year. However, I guess I was ignorant during the offseason, because I watched the Flyers/Habs last night and found out that they have both Tanguay and Bobby Lang (one of my favorites as part of the KLS line). These acquisitions have to make them better and they did finish with the best record in the east last year (because of our injuries likely). Are they in fact the team to beat now, especially with Gonchar out?

I personally was not scared of anyone in the east coming in to the season, and I still don't think I am. I just hope we don't get off to a slow start like we seem to do every year.
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: #1 Team in the East

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 pm

I would agree that they are the East's top team right now, but their big question mark is in goal -- and that's the worst place for a question mark. I like Price a lot. He's going to be amazing. But, as we saw with Fleury -- and with Price in last year's playoffs -- young goalies often battle with the mental side of the game.

That team definitely improved during the offseason, though!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 pm

What about the Rangers?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Tanguay is a good offensive player, but keep in mind that they also lost Streit's 60+ points of production so it's not like they added all that offense without losing any. Lang is far past his prime. I don't think they addressed at all the lack of grit and intensity that helped down them in the playoffs to a lesser team. They're a young team so they were going to improve internally anyway, but I think the outside additions only make a marginal improvement and don't address the biggest problem they had.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Same old story with Monreal, shutdown their powerplay and you win. Price (so far) has proven to be a nutcase in "big games".

Rangers got the benefit of starting the season with two games against Tampa Bay and Brodeur looked terrible last night against them.

My opinion, We're still the team to beat. We'll maintain a decent record then Whitney will be back before his scheduled return and then we'll get the gonch back.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Montreal looks really strong so far. Last night against the flyers they played a great game. I believe they got only one PP goal out of their 5. (last one was an EN goal). People say that they lost Strait, im not sold on that being a bad thing. He, like Malone was in a contract year and had the pleasure of riding a hot line. THey easily replaced him with Tanguay on the point. And lets face it, Kovy is one of the best on the PP. Price is young, but i truely believe what got to him last year in the playoffs was his overall stamina. The guy came into camp loosing 42 lbs. He is in much better condition this year to last. I do believe they are the team to beat in the east, with the Pens a close second. The Rangers are 3rd and Ottawa (if goaltending doesnt kill them) in 4th.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Kovy27 wrote:What about the Rangers?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:My opinion, We're still the team to beat. We'll maintain a decent record then Whitney will be back before his scheduled return and then we'll get the gonch back.

To be quite honest, I don't think we ever were the team to beat. I think the Penguins will return to the Cup and they may even win the East during the regular season, but I don't think we are the favorite to do so. And losing the players the Penguins lost only serves to make matters worse.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:My opinion, We're still the team to beat. We'll maintain a decent record then Whitney will be back before his scheduled return and then we'll get the gonch back.

To be quite honest, I don't think we ever were the team to beat. I think the Penguins will return to the Cup and they may even win the East during the regular season, but I don't think we are the favorite to do so. And losing the players the Penguins lost only serves to make matters worse.

Agreed...Pens are not the favorites to win the East imo...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:10 pm

pensfan20 wrote: Price is young, but i truely believe what got to him last year in the playoffs was his overall stamina. The guy came into camp loosing 42 lbs. He is in much better condition this year to last.

Wow, I think Avery called the wrong goalie fatso last year. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
pensfan20 wrote: Price is young, but i truely believe what got to him last year in the playoffs was his overall stamina. The guy came into camp loosing 42 lbs. He is in much better condition this year to last.

Wow, I think Avery called the wrong goalie fatso last year. :lol:

Not only that but he was basically thrust immediately into starting and had probably never played that great a concentration of games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Montreal has the best combination of speed and transition game in the East. They are the top team right now. The thing with them depends on how good Price is for them.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:47 pm

the rangers are the team to beat. dubinsky emerges as an all star this season
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:the rangers are the team to beat. dubinsky emerges as an all star this season

They have a lot of good talent on the Rags. Dubinsky is very good. I like Mark Staal as well.

I'm worried about Lundqvist's knees. Supposedly he's been having discomfort in both of them.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby dman66 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:15 am

Price (so far) has proven to be a nutcase in "big games".

what after a couple bad playoff series in his first nhl playoffs? after he dominated and won the calder cup the year before? sounds like he's a "nutcase" like another young goalie who got "shelled" his first playoff appearance. except the next year he went and took his team to the cup final.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 am

I have no idea who you are talking about unless that "shelled" is supposed to indicate that he didn't get shelled. Price definitely was the reason the Canadiens lost.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Metalmike on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:55 am

Price is the reason the Habs lost, but the Canadian media still says they like Montreal to make the finals this year even though Price has not proven himself in the NHL yet they still pick them to win with this young team they have.
Sound familiar? Just like Fleury and the Pens. The Canadian Media is so quick to point out how the Pens are without Gonchar & Whitney this season and wont go deep in the playoffs due to the young dman who are replacing Gonch & Whitney.
Yet the Habs young Defence and non proven playoff goalie Carey Price will make it through the playoffs no problem all the way to the Stanley cup finals. It makes me sick to watch this crap even though I am Canadian but love another team south of the Border.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 am

I was not sure about the Rangers but really underestimated their younger guys. Plus Zherdev and Näslund both have looked good so far.

Montreal indeed is the favourite to win the East, can't be denied. Their young guys are older and they've added Tanguay and Lang. Streit got tons of points on their PP but they'll have a great PP anyway and he isn't exactly the best D-man defensively.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins