A clear sign of a great team...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A clear sign of a great team...

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:31 am

...is that they win/get points even when they're not good. Isn't that one of the oldest sayings in hockey and sports in general?

We aren't exactly thrilled with the Pens' play so far but they do have 5 points in 4 games.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: A clear sign of a great team...

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:37 am

And we're doing it without our two best puck movers. Although I don't see us amazing anyone until Whitney, and maybe Gonch are back, how we play this early games will say alot about the character of our team and coach.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 am

Mongoose87 wrote:And we're doing it without our two best puck movers. Although I don't see us amazing anyone until Whitney, and maybe Gonch are back, how we play this early games will say alot about the character of our team and coach.

I think it's best to pretend that Gonch doesn't even exist this season. When he finally does come back, how effective could he really be? As for Whitney... my goodness, I can't believe I miss the guy.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby davemess on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:51 am

I was thinking the same thing this morning...... team is 2-1-1 this year and we have gotten 2 combined goals from our supposed top 6 forwards (Crosby, Malkin , Staal, Sykora, Fedotenko & Satan).
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:20 am

davemess wrote:I was thinking the same thing this morning...... team is 2-1-1 this year and we have gotten 2 combined goals from our supposed top 6 forwards (Crosby, Malkin , Staal, Sykora, Fedotenko & Satan).

Good point. Those six won't continue not to score.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slipshod on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 am

André wrote:
davemess wrote:I was thinking the same thing this morning...... team is 2-1-1 this year and we have gotten 2 combined goals from our supposed top 6 forwards (Crosby, Malkin , Staal, Sykora, Fedotenko & Satan).

I don't disagree. That isn't not a non good point.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 am

I think I mentioned something like this in the game thread. For playing 4 sub par games, and still getting 5 out of 8 points, that is pretty impressive. I can't wait to see what we are like when we finally gell and play a great game.

The PP is still very, very frustrating to watch though. I almost threw a beer through the tv last night. But it will come around.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mumbobob on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 am

I think it's important to remember that until the infamous Ottawa game around Thanksgiving, last year's Penguins looked fairly average at the beginning of last season as well. Integrating as many new players as the Pens are this year takes time. I think we have to let at least 10-12 games go by before we can draw any real conclusions from this new cast of characters.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:56 am

slipshod wrote:
André wrote:

I don't disagree. That isn't not a non good point.

haha, walked into that one. Though one could argue you took it far ;)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am

Flower played well again and he is going to have to be the steady and great performer every game.

I thought there were some iffy hits from behind and pens did not respond back to the flyers. I miss what ryan malone of last year brought to the team. Jordan needs to find space in front of a goalie and just
shoot the puck.

A view from the east. Sid and Richards cut from the same cloth with regards to losing. Love to hear the macho flyer boys complaining about Geno hitting Richards. NIttimakyi played a strong game for them and made some good saves.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200 ... lyers.html

I guess Sid is letting every penguin on the team get a goal before he scores one. :) Just teasing.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am

mumbobob wrote:I think it's important to remember that until the infamous Ottawa game around Thanksgiving, last year's Penguins looked fairly average at the beginning of last season as well. Integrating as many new players as the Pens are this year takes time. I think we have to let at least 10-12 games go by before we can draw any real conclusions from this new cast of characters.

My wife and I talked about this last night. If we can pull out 17 points in the first 15 games (7-5-3) I think we will be very well off. The team will start to click around then and we will only get better. It is key grabbing points this early when playing so poorly.

What is nice is to say that our team is playing poorly and that level of play would be at the top of some other teams game.

We are going to be one very dangerous team later on in the season. The best part is, with a slow but steady start, we will fall under the radar a little with all the hype that WAS and CHI are getting.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgoalpens on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 am

André wrote:

Yep, the difference between last year's slow start and the one this year has been Fleury's play. If he can continue to play well while the rest of the team catches up the pens will be fine. 2 of the last 4 goals scored on him were off of penguin players. He has been great these last two games, hopefully he can keep it up and even raise his game more. He appears to be one of the few guys on the team without a cup or new contract hangover.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:40 am

penny lane wrote:Sid and Richards cut from the same cloth with regards to losing

they're even more similar... in that richards does all the BS stuff that philly constantly accuses crosby of doing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am

Richards is a warrior and we'd all love him if he was a Pen. He is the real deal, the guy does it all.

Did anyone hear Talbot on the radio pregame when he said the Flyers (Carter and Richards) were ***? Funny stuff.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 am

NJ5934 wrote:Richards is a warrior and we'd all love him if he was a Pen.

who cares? he's still a whiny little b!@#$ and he's NOT a pen.

i like sid, but i don't like when he complains and/or embellishes calls. richards complains more than anyone in the league and can't stay on his feet for a single, full shift. it's like he belongs on those old dallas teams from the 90's. everyone on that team was CONSTANTLY going down and then looking at the ref like they just got shot (i'm looking at you too sydor).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 am

shmenguin wrote:

i like sid, but i don't like when he complains and/or embellishes calls. richards complains more than anyone in the league and can't stay on his feet for a single, full shift. it's like he belongs on those old dallas teams from the 90's. everyone on that team was CONSTANTLY going down and then looking at the ref like they just got shot (i'm looking at you too sydor).

A lot of people outside of Pittsburgh say the same about Sid.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 am

shmenguin wrote:
penny lane wrote:Sid and Richards cut from the same cloth with regards to losing

they're even more similar... in that richards does all the BS stuff that philly constantly accuses crosby of doing.

So true. Esp the whiny-face. Sid, for the most part, has put that away. Richards hasn't.

I'd still take Richards, though.

Staal for Richards, straight ahp.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

i acknowledged that stuff about sid. and ruutu dove. so did christensen. and recchi complained a lot. and i didn't like it when they did it either.

i don't have the blinders on, but as a penguin fan, you think when it's the guy on the flyers who does it, it might be more annoying?

plus richards adds a whole new level of d-bag. he yaps in the media. he punches people when they're at the bottom a scrum. and he just looks like a b!@#$
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 am

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I've seen Richards with borderline plays with intent to injure, not cool. Richards will win a Selke, he has good instinct for defense and face-offs. His shooting...a work in progress. I'll take captain Sid.
Both are trash talkers worthy of the NFL. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 am

Listen. I hate Mike Richards more than any other player in the NHL. And I booed by heart out everytime he touched the puck last night. But let's be realistic and not like Flyers fans. Mike Richards is a solid hockey player and I would take him on my team any day of the week.

It's ridiculous. I was talking to a couple of Flyers fans on my floor about Crosby. And they obviously absolutely despise him. However, I was just completely taken aback when they were like if they had a chance to get Crosby, they would not want him on their team. I was like wow, arguably a top 3 player in the world up for grabs and you wouldn't want him on your team? I just said, "let's just be a little realistic." And walked away.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 am

Why So Serious? wrote:Listen. I hate Mike Richards more than any other player in the NHL. And I booed by heart out everytime he touched the puck last night. But let's be realistic and not like Flyers fans. Mike Richards is a solid hockey player and I would take him on my team any day of the week.

It's ridiculous. I was talking to a couple of Flyers fans on my floor about Crosby. And they obviously absolutely despise him. However, I was just completely taken aback when they were like if they had a chance to get Crosby, they would not want him on their team. I was like wow, arguably a top 3 player in the world up for grabs and you wouldn't want him on your team? I just said, "let's just be a little realistic." And walked away.

well obviously i wouldn't mind if he was a penguin. but he would be a d-bag penguin, like ruutu before him.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Listen. I hate Mike Richards more than any other player in the NHL. And I booed by heart out everytime he touched the puck last night. But let's be realistic and not like Flyers fans. Mike Richards is a solid hockey player and I would take him on my team any day of the week.

I've done the same thing -- I was surrounded by Flyers fans at a BBQ (and didn't want to die) talking Flyers hockey. As a hockey fan what did I do? I added intelligent non-biased comments to the conversation. Later, one of the guys who knew I was a Pens fan said to me, "Wait... aren't you a Pens fan?" in complete shock that I'd even consider complimenting any of the Flyers (Richards was one of them). Later, an unbiased friend said to me, "Wow... I heard the whole conversation from my apartment. You can tell who the hockey fan was..."
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins