Stewie Griffin Postgame - Flyers at Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Flyers at Pens

Postby netwolf on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 am

Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Something good: Faceoffs. Zigomanis and Crosby (the Flyers's 2nd goal aside) were dominant in the circle, winning 85% and 71% respectively. The team won 60% overall. That leads to puck possession, which is always a good thing.

Where they need improvement: Normally, when the team wins, I can tolerate things I otherwise disagree with. Winning is the bottom line after all. That said, I hated the Gill-Scuderi combo before the season started and they stunk big time last night. Scuderi did save a goal at one end, so I'll give him credit for that, but it was an otherwise forgettable game for him. I never liked Hal Gill before he came here, but he played well once here for the most part, at least before last night. He was getting beat to the outside on a regular basis, and while I expect that from time to time, it seemed to happen every rush. To make it worse, he seemingly lost the physical edge he once had, as I saw him attempting poke checks on smaller players, which when you're 6'9", is everyone. I don't want to be the "hit somebody!" guy, but if he isn't going to maintain that physical edge, why's he dressed? Put Darryl Sydor in already. Even on the downside of his career, he's better than either one of these two.

Something good: Goals from simple plays. Brooks Orpik throws a shot on goal with traffic in front. Score. Godard and Cooke forecheck, Zigomanis crashes the net. Score. Dupuis has a shot and takes it instead of deferring to Crosby. Score. I don't advocate just throwing the puck on net just for the sake of getting a shot on goal, but I hope the Pens realized that the simple play works as long as you stick with it. You don't need to keep passing in the attempt to create the "perfect" play. Work hard, simplify things a bit and good things will happen, especially with the talent on the roster.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Flyers at Pens

Postby Paekman on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am

Something Good: Fleury again. 2 solid performances in a row.

Something Bad: We need more from the top 6. Malkin and Sid have both looked sluggish and frustrated so far. I understand the season is young, but I have yet to see the drive and fire that normally possess both of these guys at all so far this year. These guys need to get it going. Add Jordan Staal to that list too.

Something Good: 5 out of a possible 8 points while the club has looked very much average. Getting points while you are still working out the kinks will help a great deal in March and April.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 am

Gill deserves at least some props for making mike richards look like a chump
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

Good: Godard v. Cote. That was entertaining, and quite impressive.

Bad: The Milk Carton Lines (our first and second), still missing

Good: The Acquisition Line (Zig Zig Sputnik, Cooke, Godard) scores
Last edited by Eismann on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

good: we got the better of the play and deserved to win
bad: our big guys aren't scoring
good: our pk looked dynamite
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 am

Eismann wrote:Good: Godard v. Cote. That was entertaining, and quite impressive.

Holy crap! somebody else knows Zig Zig Sputnik (aka Sigue Sigue Sputnik)!!!!

Nice reference.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:30 am

blackjack68 wrote:
Eismann wrote:Good: Godard v. Cote. That was entertaining, and quite impressive.

Nice reference.

Hoo-yeah. Big Brit CyberPopPunk. Always good fun.

http://www.sputnikworld.com/
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am

Eismann wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:

Nice reference.

Hoo-yeah. Big Brit CyberPopPunk. Always good fun.

http://www.sputnikworld.com/

Had the cassette for Love Missile F1-11 and burned through it. Real high energy stuff, like Zigomanis (...just to get the thread back on topic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk30a0qsVIk
Last edited by blackjack68 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:36 am

I have Sigue Sigue Sputnik's original LP from back in the day. I think I also have it on CD.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am

Pitts wrote:I have Sigue Sigue Sputnik's original LP from back in the day. I think I also have it on CD.

Yeah-man.

All you other Sputnik fans, show yourselves or prepare for Massive Retaliation!!!!!

:pop:
:glam:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 am

Great Analysis, netwolf like usual.

At the start of the game during a TV timeout Crosby and Richards were pushing and shoving, and Richards caught Crosby up high with a weak punch like "get out of my face" type push. It was fun to see Orpik score.

In addition I was at glass level, and when we were on the PP I thought FOR SURE the Flyers were going to clear the puck and Alex Gogo made some sick stops keeping the puck in the zone. I never realized how fast the puck is moving for them to do that. It is pretty amazing.

Here are some pics if you guys didn't see the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29261
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 am

Paekman wrote:Something Good: 5 out of a possible 8 points while the club has looked very much average. Getting points while you are still working out the kinks will help a great deal in March and April.

But we gave up 6 of a possible 8. At that rate we will not make the playoffs.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:48 am

Good: Having an enforcer that the other team will gladly fight. Cote wanted no part of Laraque last year, not would anyone for that matter. Godard is good wnough to hold his own with legit heavyweights and it was good to see him get the win vs Cote who I think is one of the best in the NHL.

Bad: Gill screwing Fleury over again. Did it look like he hit the puck a second time over Fleury's pads?

Good: Dupuis finally shooting a quality shot on net
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 am

DelPen wrote:Good: Having an enforcer that the other team will gladly fight. Cote wanted no part of Laraque last year, not would anyone for that matter. Godard is good wnough to hold his own with legit heavyweights and it was good to see him get the win vs Cote who I think is one of the best in the NHL.

Bad: Gill screwing Fleury over again. Did it look like he hit the puck a second time over Fleury's pads?

cote and laraque fought last year as i recall. laraque popped his helmet off with the 1st punch
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:56 am

shmenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:Good: Having an enforcer that the other team will gladly fight. Cote wanted no part of Laraque last year, not would anyone for that matter. Godard is good wnough to hold his own with legit heavyweights and it was good to see him get the win vs Cote who I think is one of the best in the NHL.

cote and laraque fought last year as i recall. laraque popped his helmet off with the 1st punch

I know they did but that was after Laraque did his slide into Biron because no one would fight him. Point more being people will have no fear of fighting Godard because he's not a dominant fight like Laraque is. We'll see more fights like we saw last night instead of the hugging guys into submission then falling on them like last year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cs6687 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 am

This is my new favorite post-game recap.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:59 am

DelPen wrote:Good: Having an enforcer that the other team will gladly fight.

And, having an enforcer who will gladly fight. I'm glad Laraque is gone really.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 am

Good: Penguins beat the hated Philadelphia Flyers.
Bad: Flyers get two goals in 20 seconds, and 1 point.
Good: Brooks Orpik dumps Richards on the boards after Richards tried to cheap shot Ruslan Fedotenko.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tluke53 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Good - The Third and Fourth lines produced goals, fights, and momentum. I thought they were very good last night.

Bad - Turnovers! It seems like no Penguin is immune to making consistently bad turnovers. Malkin had several on the PP. Gogo and Letang had several bad clearing attempts during the PK and even strength. I am sure they will come around. Does Jordan Staal still play for the Pen's?

Good - I hate the Flyers and beating them in overtime is always awesome.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penscup on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Love this new postgame recap setup. Keep it going folks.

I'm still happy with the job Gill is doing out there. Even with all his mistakes which he clearly makes more than a few of, I feel very comfortable with a veteran like him out there at most any time knowing that he's going to make a good defensive play more often than not and the physical presence he provides (even if he is lacking that currently, so is most of the team). Yes, guys are going to blow around him and make him look silly from time to time, but he handles the puck well and knows how to make a decent breakout pass most of the time. His long reach is also hugely underrated, especially on the PK. When the puck needs cleared he makes sure it gets the F out, none of those weak clearing attempts. I love that. No way I bench Gill for Sydor anytime soon. Maybe the pairing with Scuderi isn't the best, but I think thats too early to judge and with the injuries to Whitney and Gonch things have to be shuffled a bit for a while. In the end the good far outweighs the bad for Hal Gill.

I think our powerplay showed some signs of life last night and will be fine once they get clicking. That is one area that I'm not worried much about even with our top 2 point men injured. Too much talent there to hold them down much longer.

Anybody else convinced that Kennedy deflected Orpik's goal, or is it just me?

p.s. to mainly the clueless members of the media:
STATISTICS ARE MEANINGLESS AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON. PLEASE STOP PRETENDING LIKE WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OF THEM AFTER 4 GAMES IN AN 82 GAME SEASON.
thanks.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Gill and Scuderi both need to be playing because they're essential on the PK. They're the top two PK defensemen. Gill is very good at using his reach to break up passes and shots. I'll agree to disagree on the merits of them playing together, but they both bring more to the lineup than Sydor would. Sydor's only meaningful role would be on the 2nd PP unit, which I don't think is enough to justify playing him over guys that are playing significant roles on the pretty good PK. The PK came up huge last night.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:04 pm

haha I started reading the first post in Stewie's voice :D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby westside on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Eismann wrote:
Pitts wrote:I have Sigue Sigue Sputnik's original LP from back in the day. I think I also have it on CD.

Yeah-man.

All you other Sputnik fans, show yourselves or prepare for Massive Retaliation!!!!!

:pop:
:glam:

WOW! Sigue Sigue Sputnik reference on a Pens board... is the world about to end?

Good: Pens actually showed some emotion out there. I think it was in part due to Godard's fight. He really got the arena going and for good reason. That was quite a display and it was great to see the team skate with some confidence. I really thought the Crosby line would score, but Nitti made some great saves against them.

Bad: Let a division team that had no business getting a goal, let alone a point, back into the game.

Good: Fleury.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:18 pm

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I know they did but that was after Laraque did his slide into Biron because no one would fight him. Point more being people will have no fear of fighting Godard because he's not a dominant fight like Laraque is. We'll see more fights like we saw last night instead of the hugging guys into submission then falling on them like last year.

:lol: Cote had never even dressed against the Penguins before Laraque slid into Biron, and he wasn't in the lineup that night either.

Cote fought Laraque in 3 of the 5 games last year. 1 of the 2 they didn't scrap was the exhibition to end the season. If there is one thing Cote is not, it's afraid of Laraque.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Good- Free Candy was all over the place last night. Awesome effort by him

Bad- Shoot the damn puck, please.

Good- Faceoffs 36-24!
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next