ALEX GOLIGOSKI

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ALEX GOLIGOSKI

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 am

From the small sample we have. It looks like Letang will be more of a 2-way guy and Goligoski is more of the offensive guy...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 am

more upside - GOGO
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:16 am

Maybe he would get more shots on the PP if he were on the right point instead of the left, just a thought....

Sorry to beat the dead horse, I can't help myself...
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cerp66 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am

newarenanow wrote:
cerp66 wrote:He's already an untouchable. You use Letang or Whitney in a trade, if you need to, before GoGo for sure.

I don't agree with that. I hope you are being sarcastic, because if a guy is untouchable after only 6 NHL games, then the Pens are in big trouble.

Not at all. At this point I'd say he is one of the last players they would want to give up (with in reason of course). Things can change down the road with any player. But at this point, I'm sure the Penguin's recognize they very well might have a dominate power play point man for many years to come. Something they must have and hang on to being that Gonchar's years, because of his age, are numbered.
cerp66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 am

cerp66 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
cerp66 wrote:He's already an untouchable. You use Letang or Whitney in a trade, if you need to, before GoGo for sure.

I don't agree with that. I hope you are being sarcastic, because if a guy is untouchable after only 6 NHL games, then the Pens are in big trouble.

Not at all. At this point I'd say he is one of the last players they would want to give up (with in reason of course). Things can change down the road with any player. But at this point, I'm sure the Penguin's recognize they very well might have a dominate power play point man for many years to come. Something they must have and hang on to being that Gonchar's years, because of his age, are numbered.

But I wouldn't call him untouchable. Sid and Malkin and Fluery are untouchable. That is about it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 am

pens#1 wrote:more upside - GOGO

the truth is actually extremely opposite. letang is less polished, but is far more versatile and has a lot more potential. gogo has already realized his offensive-zone abilities while letang still gets tight.

plus, gogo will never even come close to letang's physical strength, and won't be the same type of skater.

gogo=more polished now (offensively)
letang=more potential/upside
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 am

cerp66 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Even when Gonchar is gone, Letang and Whitney will be ahead of Goligoski on the first PP unit. Right now Letang is on the second unit only because they have essentially 2 guys capable of running the PP from the point, and they are Malkin and Letang. I think they are keeping them separate only because if they weren't, the second PP unit would be dead in the water.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:03 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:I think they are keeping them separate only because if they weren't, the second PP unit would be dead in the water.

Couldn't be worse than the first line PP unit. :wink: :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby westside on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:43 am

I think Tang and GoGo are playing great considering they have been basically thrown into a number 1 pairing and neither are really at that level. They make silly mistakes for sure... I must have seen Letang not clear the puck 6 times last night when he had a good opportunity. But, they are both showing that, at times, they have real NHL skills. Give them another few months and I'd guess we'll see a lot of improvement, but there will be some big mistakes that go along with that, that's how they learn.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am

Gogo will do fine if he listens to his pre-game Creedance.

He grew up as a little urban achiever. Cut him some slack, he staked out the ROTC in college. He's in between games right now, but he'll be Anihliting things from the point soon.

8-)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cerp66 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:06 pm

But I wouldn't call him untouchable. Sid and Malkin and Fluery are untouchable. That is about it.[/quote]

Figure of speech. No one's absolutely untouchable for the right price (remember Wayne Gretzky). But rest assured, the powers to be in the Penguin organization have GoGo on the short list of "he must be part of our future."
cerp66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Sid and Fleury are the only 2 untouchables on the team.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Sid and Fleury are the only 2 untouchables on the team.

Oh yes. How can we forget how much you want Malkin out of Pittsburgh? :roll: :roll:
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tluke53 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Goligoski looked like exactly what he is... a rookie with good upside. I noticed some bad turnovers and clearing attempts. I also noticed good skating and as others have said he did a good job keeping the puck in the offensive zone during the power play. Also as others have said, he must shoot the puck more. On one of the PP's, maybe the 5 on 3, he crept into prime shooting position but tried to pass instead of shoot. I think he is going to be a very productive defenseman in the not to distant future.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Sid and Fleury are the only 2 untouchables on the team.

You just say this to get THAT debate going again.
:P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:06 pm

so the kopitar extension is the classic example of a sign n trade?

:pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheBigLebowski on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Guinness wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:Goglebowski?

The Big Goligoski?

You may call him "his dudeness".

Hey, this is a private residence ... man. 8-)
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I think we have a Niedermyer and Rafalski type pair with Letang and Gogo.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:45 pm

I guess I better study Goligoski a lot more closely. I do not see near the upside that the rest of you do. I hope I'm wrong, but in my estimation he won't ever deserve to be in the same sentence as either Neidermayer OR Rafalski.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:I guess I better study Goligoski a lot more closely. I do not see near the upside that the rest of you do. I hope I'm wrong, but in my estimation he won't ever deserve to be in the same sentence as either Neidermayer OR Rafalski.

I'm hoping when he said that it was a joke. I'm pretty sure it was.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

DelPen wrote:I think we have a Niedermyer and Rafalski type pair with Letang and Gogo.

From your mouth DelPen...That is a mouthful...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:30 pm

KG wrote:
DelPen wrote:I think we have a Niedermyer and Rafalski type pair with Letang and Gogo.

From your mouth DelPen...That is a mouthful...

That's what she said.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:49 pm

cerp66 wrote:But I wouldn't call him untouchable. Sid and Malkin and Fluery are untouchable. That is about it.

Figure of speech. No one's absolutely untouchable for the right price (remember Wayne Gretzky). But rest assured, the powers to be in the Penguin organization have GoGo on the short list of "he must be part of our future."[/quote]

Gretzky wasn't untouchable. Lemieux was... :D

They had the Gretzky trade on the NHL network the other day. It was really interesting to watch everything transpire. You would swear that Gretzky was traded (or somehow influenced) by the NHL to accept a trade to a major US market. It was the reocurring theme from everyone (Wayne, Owner on both sides, NHL personnel, etc). Everyone blamed Gretzky's wife, but after watching everything again, you have a different perspective.

Enough off topic. I love the "potential" Goligoski has, but he's not untouchable.

The more I think about it, the more I think that injury that Gonchar has really screwed him for next year unless he signs a discounted contract somewhere. He definitely won't be full strength when he comes back. We'll see by throwing Goligoski out there whether he sinks or swims.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm

pens20 wrote:
I think we have a Niedermyer and Rafalski type pair with Letang and Gogo.

I think it's more like a Coffey and Murphy type pair...

Or Jim Johnson and Chris Dahlquist...depending on how they pan out :)
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Kicksave on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm

NACHOS
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins