seriously, what is the deal with O and Malkin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

seriously, what is the deal with O and Malkin?

Postby MarioLives on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:28 am

Why does he continue to take runs at Malkin every game? Why does someone on the Pens not just pummel this guy, make him learn a lesson. It seems every game these two teams play O trys to destroy Malkin
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: seriously, what is the deal with O and Malkin?

Postby MelicharSux on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:55 am

What are you talking about?
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:01 am

I don't know.....watch the games and maybe you can figure it out.........
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:04 am

Yeah, Ovechkin seems to have something in for Malkin, but no one says anything about it.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 am

Pierre Mcguire been saying since last season that AO punched out Malkin's agent. So take it for what it's worth. There seems to be a rivarly off the ice as well.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zarovich on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:33 am

Ovie was trying to run every Canuck the game before the Pens game. He runs Malkin because that seems to be the line that gets matched together and Malkin has the puck a lot.
Zarovich
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:40 am

SolidSnake wrote:Pierre Mcguire been saying since last season that AO punched out Malkin's agent. So take it for what it's worth. There seems to be a rivarly off the ice as well.

J.P. Barry?! I doubt it..........it might be that "russian agent" guy, that is actually Geno's friend or something........
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:49 am

didnt they have the same agent??
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:56 am

scals37 wrote:didnt they have the same agent??

yeah, for a short awhile..........that Meehan guy, but AO fired him as did Geno...........I think this is what everybody is referring to:

http://english.sport-express.ru/news/13_1123/

BTW, AO does not have an agent...........he negotiated Caps deal alone.........
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 pm

AO is just hitting him, it's hockey - not a big deal. (although, his elbows were up on the first collision yesterday).

Although, it's quite obvious that AO is specifically targeting Malkin - and it's just nonsense when AO says he "just hits everyone".

Even in the third period of the most recent game, Sid cut though the middle with the puck (it was probably the only scoring chance of the period for the Pens) - and AO just watched Sid skate by him, in his own zone. Now if that were Malkin....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:05 pm

i just dont get it myself... its like hes jealous of something
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Pierre Mcguire been saying since last season that AO punched out Malkin's agent. So take it for what it's worth. There seems to be a rivarly off the ice as well.

J.P. Barry?! I doubt it..........it might be that "russian agent" guy, that is actually Geno's friend or something........

That's what PM says lol :)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:07 pm

scals37 wrote:i just dont get it myself... its like hes jealous of something

people from over there tend to get much more emotional, and take everything personally.......
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drtofu66 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Maybe AO doesn't like to hear the whispers that some people think that Malkin was the best player to come from that draft.

I like the Pensblog theory that Malkin banged AO's girlfriend in Russia, though...
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Who cares? The rivalry between the teams is great. The rivalry between AO and Malkin makes it all the better. The NHL actually needs two of their super stars to be in a feud with each other. It makes for good TV and news.

I think the rivalry stems from Malkin giving AO a negative youtube comment on his finding a girlfriend video.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:02 pm

I would think that it if it were due to Ovechkin showing his competitive nature by showing he's the boss on the ice, I'm surprised he doesn't take those runs at Crosby. That is why I think it's personal either between something personal between those two or by Ovechkin being nationalistic trying to show that he's the best Russian hockey player in the world.

There's no doubt that he was targeting Malkin this past game. Malkin needs to cross-check him in the face or do some Slava Fetisov stick work on him the next time Ovy comes out of no where on those hits. Keep the butt end of the stick out a few inches and bust the rest of Ovy's teeth out. This is where the Biz Nasty's and Godard's really don't help. This is where you need a D-man (like how Kasparaitis used to) to fly out of no where with a hip check. I doubt Ovy would be pulling this crap on our team if we had an Ulf Samuellson type back on D (telling Ovy - "Do you want to end up like Cam Neely? Well, knock the crap off."
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby pens#1 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:09 pm

i remember when Malkin came over the Pens were in DC and Malkin went out to the Caps practice (before the Pens went on) and Ovy saw him and went over and talked to him and was friendly - also Ovy said Malkin would win the Calder after he did- not sure if something happened that went sour or maybe Ovy is just tired of losing to Geno
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:36 pm

its not a big deal, because all ao did all night was run around and take himself out of the play. if not for the pens sleepwalking in the third, they win that game. if ao does that against the pens, they win 9 times out of 10, hands down.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:56 pm

It is a big deal because he is taking runs at one of our best players and he could end up hurting him. I don't care if he's the MVP. He needs to be straightened out so it doesn't keep happening. I am with the guy earlier here. Let Malkin elbow him hard in the chops. I don't like cheap shots but this is more self defense. That message needs to be sent next time they play.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Nice name, guy above me. I think it's just a rivalry turned into a healthy hatred. The NHL is desperately trying to make Crosby-Ovechkin a rivalry for marketing, but the two are basically indifferent, if mutually respectful, to each other. Malkin-Ovechkin is the real rivalry, that's what they should play with in marketing, they'd have more material.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:20 pm

dman66 wrote:its not a big deal, because all ao did all night was run around and take himself out of the play. if not for the pens sleepwalking in the third, they win that game. if ao does that against the pens, they win 9 times out of 10, hands down.

And when AO takes out Malkin with a long-term injury, that really benefits us then...
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby dman66 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
dman66 wrote:its not a big deal, because all ao did all night was run around and take himself out of the play. if not for the pens sleepwalking in the third, they win that game. if ao does that against the pens, they win 9 times out of 10, hands down.

And when AO takes out Malkin with a long-term injury, that really benefits us then...

as i have stated numerous times since after the game, ao will get his one day. he's gonna hit the wrong person and some clown like downie or jansen will run him. then how will that help the caps? malkins a big boy. he can handle himself and handle ao when the opportunity presents itself
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pickle Stabber on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:14 pm

I was told Malkin went in AO's bag at a worlds practice and ate his power bars. Malkin denied doing it but AO could see chocolate on Malkin's teeth.
Pickle Stabber
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:09 am

Ovechkin is probably just jealous that Malkin is better than him, and can't stand to take another Russian stealing his spotlight.

I wouldn't be surprised if he "accidentally" hurts Semin in practice, while we're at it. Just you wait
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Seattle-Pens-fan on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 am

I was wondering the same thing.

The Hockey Night in Canada broadcast tonight, the guys even commented on the 'rivalry'. They didn't give any specifics, but spoke as if there is very real animosity there. In fact, they were saying that it could be problems on the Olympic team, as the Russians are going to want the both of them, and they probably won't agree to play together.

You have to think, given that O didn't run anyone else, like Crosby, that it has to be something more than just hockey.
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins