Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:28 pm

dagny wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I hate people that spend all day posting on a message board.


. . . says the guy with over 15,000 posts. :lol:

Yep, good job, definitely irrational. :wink:


:D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby mikey287 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:52 pm

That brimleycat had me laughing out loud...that's tremendous...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,897
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:06 pm

That's taking it to a whole new level.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,373
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm

iEUX wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:So you're saying my post doesn't really belong in this thread because my pet peeve is so rational?


no. that post is awesome.

but most of this thread is people just spouting about what annoys them. and most of the things make perfect sense.

I think the OP had the idea of things that annoy you but really shouldnt.


Yeah I definitely realized that a bit ago. My "run the goalie" peeve is pretty irrational though. I think so anyway. Actually it makes sense to me, but i'm guessing it seems irrational to others.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
iEUX wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:So you're saying my post doesn't really belong in this thread because my pet peeve is so rational?


no. that post is awesome.

but most of this thread is people just spouting about what annoys them. and most of the things make perfect sense.

I think the OP had the idea of things that annoy you but really shouldnt.


Yeah I definitely realized that a bit ago. My "run the goalie" peeve is pretty irrational though. I think so anyway. Actually it makes sense to me, but i'm guessing it seems irrational to others.


Your screen name annoyed me because it was Idoit instead of Idiot. Then the 40Fans part made me even more annoyed because I couldn't figure it out for a while.

Your posts also annoy me, but that is totally rational... I think to sum it up, your existence is my arch nemesis.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 pm

bhaw wrote:Your screen name annoyed me because it was Idoit instead of Idiot. Then the 40Fans part made me even more annoyed because I couldn't figure it out for a while.

Your posts also annoy me, but that is totally rational... I think to sum it up, your existence is my arch nemesis.


Your posts warm me on the inside.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 pm

ziggystardust wrote:So does it annoy you when people hate on bestiality or not? I think that is what the OP had in mind.


It does annoy me when they hate it. I don't let their hatred affect my lifestyle choices though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:48 am

iEUX wrote:the thread title is IRRATIONAL peeves

not every little thing that pisses you off.


i believe you are right about that being the TC's intention. but, i don't think most people are ignoring the idea of irrational. they're just skewing it to mean pet peeves that they get irrationally upset about.

the thing about pet peeves is that the person that has them has their own rational reasoning for why it upsets them. so really, i don't think any pet peeves are actually irrational. even if you say rainbows are a pet peeve of yours, you'd invariably have a reasoning for it. 'people act like they're the greatest thing they've ever seen.' or 'no one seems to understand how miraculous they are.'

so should the thread be about pet peeves that the poster feels they are in the minority of having (wheel imbalance). or simply a normal pet peeve (being late) that they think gets them more upset (irrationally) than the normal person.

so.

haha, unregardless is a great word by the way
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,527
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:16 am

ziggystardust wrote:Interesting question that needs to be asked after LeopardLetangs post - do people ever do or think things that they are willing to admit are completely irrational?


I know I have.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Nailer Cim on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 am

black santa clauses and guys in their fifty's named skip
Nailer Cim
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:36 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am

Soccer Moms driving SUVs that are too big for them
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 am

I have another big one:

The f'n crossing guards in Jefferson Hills. YOU DON"T HAVE TO STOP TRAFFIC ON A 25 MPH ROAD SO AN ADULT CAN CROSS THE F'N STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


What a waste of taxpayer money.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 am

People with Family Ties related names...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 am

PensFanInDC wrote:People with Family Ties related names...


Image
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Three Stars on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:People with Family Ties related names...


Image


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iliLnQmaEOA

Sha la la laaaaaa.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:People with Family Ties related names...


Image


Touche
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:54 am

ziggystardust wrote:Interesting question that needs to be asked after LeopardLetangs post - do people ever do or think things that they are willing to admit are completely irrational?


do you? it's so easy and natural to rationalize everything you do or think. certain kinds of fidgeting might be an example. like talking to yourself. but they might say they do it since it calms them or helps them focus. same with doing things out of habit.

the person is doing it or thinking it, so there must be a reason for it at some level. and if you go with that thought, i'd say whichever 'reason' they choose, as to why they do it, is their rationale.

ok. but not to overthink it. the most common use of irrational is probably the idea that women are irrational. this comes from the idea that they're too emotional to act thoughtfully. so i guess if a person's goal is to make money at poker, but then they push all in because they are on tilt, it was irrational when compared to their goal.

so what's an irrational pet peeve. i'm starting to think that all pet peeves are irrational. i would define them as things that emotionally annoy you to an improper or irrational amount. and it's funny because most pet peeves are about other people doing or saying irrational things. such as stopping traffic to let an adult pass in a 25 mph zone. it's so irrational that it gets you upset even though it's irrational to get upset about it.

haha ok. i guess i admit that an irrational thing that i do is overanalyze simple mundane things. but it's a fun little logic game that eventually comes down to the meaning we attach to words vs. what we really mean by them and i can't seem to get away from stuff like this once i start thinking about it even though i really need to get ready for work. so i suppose it's irrational to end up late at work because i was thinking about this. eh
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,527
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:Interesting question that needs to be asked after LeopardLetangs post - do people ever do or think things that they are willing to admit are completely irrational?


do you? it's so easy and natural to rationalize everything you do or think. certain kinds of fidgeting might be an example. like talking to yourself. but they might say they do it since it calms them or helps them focus. same with doing things out of habit.

the person is doing it or thinking it, so there must be a reason for it at some level. and if you go with that thought, i'd say whichever 'reason' they choose, as to why they do it, is their rationale.

ok. but not to overthink it. the most common use of irrational is probably the idea that women are irrational. this comes from the idea that they're too emotional to act thoughtfully. so i guess if a person's goal is to make money at poker, but then they push all in because they are on tilt, it was irrational when compared to their goal.

so what's an irrational pet peeve. i'm starting to think that all pet peeves are irrational. i would define them as things that emotionally annoy you to an improper or irrational amount. and it's funny because most pet peeves are about other people doing or saying irrational things. such as stopping traffic to let an adult pass in a 25 mph zone. it's so irrational that it gets you upset even though it's irrational to get upset about it.

haha ok. i guess i admit that an irrational thing that i do is overanalyze simple mundane things. but it's a fun little logic game that eventually comes down to the meaning we attach to words vs. what we really mean by them and i can't seem to get away from stuff like this once i start thinking about it even though i really need to get ready for work. so i suppose it's irrational to end up late at work because i was thinking about this. eh


Way to bring down the thread man.....not cool. :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 am

just list me as one of you pet peeves and you'll be fine :D
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,527
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Eismann on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:47 pm

FSR's ad rotation; specifically, the Geico lizard.

Want him dead. ASAP.

First 143 gajillion times I heard the voice, not so annoying. Every time after that = trying to kill me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,687
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Rocky133213 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:04 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:...The f'n crossing guards in Jefferson Hills...


Holding on to old high school rivalries 10 years later is so annoying....I really hate TJ :D


The one that gets me is....when you're walking up a hallway or between two rows of cubes at work and a female co-worker is walking directly toward you....and she just assumes that you'll step aside and let her pass before continuing on yourself. Or on the trolley a female just assumes that you'll let her have an open seat and takes it right in front of you...No thanks or even an acknowledgment or anything...

I'm all for being chivalrous, and I do always defer to the female in these situations, but at least let me step aside or offer the seat before you just brush me aside
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby bringitonhome on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:05 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Image



hahahaha. thats great. i always laugh at that when i see that commercial.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,504
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby charlesroast on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Its probably been mentioned here and I know it was in a post long ago along the same theme...People who try to get on elevators before I get off of it! I usually just stand in the doorway until they get the idea to back away. Sometimes I yell at them. Sometimes I stand there and if they move to a side to try and squeeze in, I usually follow their move and block them. That one really cheers me up if am having a bad day at work...everyone is in such a frakkin hurry these days.
charlesroast
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:12 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 pm

When Rocco posts in college football threads.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,437
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:35 am

Brail #'s on a drive thru ATM machine.

Having to pick English at the ATM.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,603
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackjack68, DudeMan2766, llipgh2, malkinshair, mikey287, Sigwolf and 5 guests


e-mail