NHL Live Rumor...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL Live Rumor...

Postby cojac on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $7.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$8,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000
Last edited by cojac on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Well, with Waddell's hockey IQ being low enough for him to be declared legally brain dead, who knows? I watched NHL Live today and didn't catch this, what else did he say?
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

WAKE UP RS!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Armstrong, is he any good?
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm

change letang to sydor and pull the trigger until it goes...click.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Kharlamov wrote:change letang to sydor and pull the trigger until it goes...click.

Yeah, I dont like the idea of Letang in that deal.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:10 pm

which center would get custody of Ilya? :) Despite their episode when Sid was a rookie, besides Nash, I've wondered about Ilya with the captain.

Colby back, time for another A & L commercial. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm

I'd trade Staal and Gogo for Iyla nothing more. We got Whitney and Letang as our Offensive d-men.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm

cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $5.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$6,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000

I don't know about that package, but I will say that these are two fairly logical dance partners. Atlanta is slipping near disaster and Kovalchuk almost looked like he had given up last night against Philly.

The Pens brass may not agree with the folks on here who say it's still early. I would find it hard to imagine that Atlanta is looking to move the only true star that they have, but I could agree with Staal being in the package.

When does Kovalchuk's deal expire? If it is this year or next than I say no way, unless he will agree to an extension that would replace the drain on the cap we anticipated for Staal. If he takes what we were offering Hossa, then I would do it in a minute. He has to be starving to win. You can feel his frustration through the TV screen.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Easton on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm

As much as I would love to see Kovalchuk on this team...I don't know. It is a lot to give up. I could live with giving up Staal, Satan and a pick but adding Letang makes it quite a bit to give up. But like Samsdog said, it IS Don Waddell, so I doubt you'd even have to give up Letang.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Easton on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:14 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $5.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$6,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000

I don't know about that package, but I will say that these are two fairly logical dance partners. Atlanta is slipping near disaster and Kovalchuk almost looked like he had given up last night against Philly.

The Pens brass may not agree with the folks on here who say it's still early. I would find it hard to imagine that Atlanta is looking to move the only true star that they have, but I could agree with Staal being in the package.

When does Kovalchuk's deal expire? If it is this year or next than I say no way, unless he will agree to an extension that would replace the drain on the cap we anticipated for Staal. If he takes what we were offering Hossa, then I would do it in a minute. He has to be starving to win. You can feel his frustration through the TV screen.

I believe he's on the books for 2 more years.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:15 pm

I like it. I like it very much. Even if Letang is part of it. He rocks, but let's face it, once Gonchar and Whitney return we'll have a surplus of capable dmen but are still short on top wingers.

Hey wait, I didn't see a #1 pick was involved. Hm... hm hm hm...
Last edited by Gaucho on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:15 pm

this just in

ATL sends Mike Hoffman to Chicago/AHL.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm

At some point an offensive d-man will be dumped, whether it's Gonch when his contract expires or one of the other ones. I don't like the idea of giving up Letang, but nor do I like the idea of letting Gonch go when his contract expires. Paradox, paradox. He'll be harder to obtain than Hossa, Waddell has until next season's trade deadline to wait for the perfect offer. Doubt Shero will be able to give what will be required at this point, and for very good reason. He's a smart guy, that RS.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm

If this trade is made soon we gotta watch our d-men we may not have enough. Might have to call up Richmond and how realible is Feaster??
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Samsdog wrote:At some point an offensive d-man will be dumped, whether it's Gonch when his contract expires or one of the other ones. I don't like the idea of giving up Letang, but nor do I like the idea of letting Gonch go when his contract expires. Paradox, paradox. He'll be harder to obtain than Hossa, Waddell has until next season's trade deadline to wait for the perfect offer. Doubt Shero will be able to give what will be required at this point, and for very good reason. He's a smart guy, that RS.

Waddell may get more for Kovalchuk this year because he is still on the books through next year, so whoever is trading for him is reassured that they're getting him for more than a year rental.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm

If it were just Staal, Satan, and a pick I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Add in Gogo or Letang and I'd consider it. That's probably why I'm not a Gm though. I always get greedy when it comes to high talent goal scorers.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Samsdog wrote:At some point an offensive d-man will be dumped, whether it's Gonch when his contract expires or one of the other ones. I don't like the idea of giving up Letang, but nor do I like the idea of letting Gonch go when his contract expires. Paradox, paradox. He'll be harder to obtain than Hossa, Waddell has until next season's trade deadline to wait for the perfect offer. Doubt Shero will be able to give what will be required at this point, and for very good reason. He's a smart guy, that RS.

Gonch is not going anywhere. He is all too important, and I can see him sticking around at a cheaper price beyond his contract.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ams on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

Hmmm...Kovalchuk for the next 2 years? I mean, there's likely no way he'd be able to fit under the cap here when his contract was up. An extension would be great, but I don't see it happening for less than 7.5 mil, which would be a stretch for this team...
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

I love the rumors of this it's fun to talk about.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:26 pm

ams wrote:Hmmm...Kovalchuk for the next 2 years? I mean, there's likely no way he'd be able to fit under the cap here when his contract was up. An extension would be great, but I don't see it happening for less than 7.5 mil, which would be a stretch for this team...

Remember we offered Hossa even more than that. Damn you, Hossa, why did you do this to me. Er, us.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:26 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I love the rumors of this it's fun to talk about.

Agreed. In your heart of hearts you know that it can't happen but hell if it isn't fun to pretend and imagine for a while. Yeah salary cap, yeah balance, but can't hurt to have a little fun with it as long as you know where the line is.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Samsdog wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I love the rumors of this it's fun to talk about.

Agreed. In your heart of hearts you know that it can't happen but hell if it isn't fun to pretend and imagine for a while. Yeah salary cap, yeah balance, but can't hurt to have a little fun with it as long as you know where the line is.

I'd love to have this happen but at the same time I'm not gonna be mad or let down if it doesn't. Now if I see Kovalchuk to Canadiens or something then I'll be ticked.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm usually not into the glitzy "no chance in Hades" trades, but this one tickles my fancy.
Kris Letang is the deal breaker...he stays.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ams on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

But giving Hossa that money was going to be a significant handcuff...but if the Pens can swing Kovalchuk for that money, I'm all for it.
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins