NHL Live Rumor...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Easton on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:05 pm

tonysoprano wrote:I'm sure they're leaping at the opportunity to take on Sydor.

Lest we forget the Zhitnik deal. I wouldn't put anything past Atlanta.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:05 pm

pens#1 wrote:number #1 picks are great but this team is built to win now - who knows if BOTH Sid and Malkin will be here in 6 years, if the Pens had 10 years to just sit back and wait i would say no way but that isnt how the NHL runs these days. I personally dont hope we sit around and wait for Staal to mature - especially considering he could get a crazy offer sheet and then we either match or get picks that wont help us now either, just imagine if he gets a 5+mill offer sheet

Agreed. Especially since our #1's aren't high draft picks. Take a look at some of our previous #1 picks. We had a stretch of having busts for 7 years straight. I doubt we'd get a Kovalchuk in this year's draft and he's only 25.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby KG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I said a few weeks back when everyone was talking about Gaborik that a trade for Kovalchuk made more sense.

If anyone is saying Kovalchuk isn't the type of player Crosby needs, you're mistaken. I've watched a lot of Kovalchuk. I think he would be a much better fit for Crosby than Hossa was. Hossa is a great forechecker and backchecker that can make plays with the puck. The MAJOR difference between Hossa and Kovalchuk is that Kovalchuk is a finisher, think goal first sniper and Hossa isn't.

There was a game that Atlanta played last week (can't remember who) but Kovalchuk looked defeated like there's nothing else he can do in Atlanta. It's a team that needs to rebuild and he's never complained about getting out of there. That said, he's a $6.4 million cap hit and is signed through next year. He would probably love playing here. If we're going to make a deal for him, it should be something like:

Staal
Sydor
1st or 2nd round pick

for

Kovalchuk

I can't see the Pens involving Letang in the deal. Atlanta really doesn't have anyone else on their roster that makes sense for us (unless you take on Kozlov but he's 36 - but can still play). Bringing Army back doesn't do anything but clutter up the 3rd/4th line players we already have.

I agree with everything you wrote...I do think that it will cost a lot more then Staal/Sydor/pick for Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is signed for another year. The Thrashers don't HAVE to move him, like they did Hossa...I am sure the Thrashers want Staal...

I see the Thrashers asking for:

Staal
Letang
1st round pick

Then the back and forth begins...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm

tonysoprano wrote:I'm sure they're leaping at the opportunity to take on Sydor.

they traded Coburn for Zhitnik so anything is possible from that organization - take out Sydor and put in Scuds
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Easton wrote:I think they'll be here in 6 years. I don't think a first round pick is untouchable, but they aren't something you want to be tossing out every year to win now. Because toss a few first rounders out there, and you'll find yourself accepting first rounders and dishing off a Crosby/Malkin to rebuild.

With Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, Orpik and Fleury all locked up together for 4 or more seasons, I think the Pens can afford to burn another first rounder or two. Afterall, Kovalchoo IS a first rounder.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Atlanta would have a nice young D if they had the tanger on their team. Bogosian and Enstrom are going to be good. The Schneider pickup they made was supposedly so they could trade him at the deadline to someone.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 pm

If Kovalchuk is in fact put on the market. There will be a ton of teams with real interest...Because of his relatively modest cap hit for the player he is...

It will cost more then Hossa cost...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:11 pm

KG wrote:If Kovalchuk is in fact put on the market. There will be a ton of teams with real interest...Because of his relatively modest cap hit for the player he is...

And, I'm cool with that because of the core we have locked up. We can then get Kovalchoo signed to an extension and hopefully extend Sarge and we are good for many seasons
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 pm

KG wrote:If Kovalchuk is in fact put on the market. There will be a ton of teams with real interest...Because of his relatively modest cap hit for the player he is...

Did Hossa really cost that much?

3rd line center that is soff
3rd line RW that can't put his game together, though popular and would throw a hit now and then
1st rounder that is soff and many consider to be like Alexandre Daigle
1st round pick (Daultan Leville), who is rated lower than Esposito on HF's website for ATL prospects.

This year Armstrong has 2 goals, 3 assists in 9 games. Christensen has 0 goals and 3 assists in 9 games.
Last year, Armstrong had 13 goals, 22 assists for 35 points and Christensen had 11 goals, 13 assists for 24 points.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:

Did Hossa really cost that much?

3rd line center that is soff
3rd line RW that can't put his game together, though popular and would throw a hit now and then
1st rounder that is soff and many consider to be like Alexandre Daigle
1st round pick (Daultan Leville), who is rated lower than Esposito on HF's website for ATL prospects.

This year Armstrong has 2 goals, 3 assists in 9 games. Christensen has 0 goals and 3 assists in 9 games.
Last year, Armstrong had 13 goals, 22 assists for 35 points and Christensen had 11 goals, 13 assists for 24 points.

As far as i'm concerned, Hossa cost the pens a first round pick in the 2008 draft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 pm

And it was the 2nd to last 1st round pick.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby booboo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 pm

After thinking a bit about this, I conclude that Kovalchuk would not like to come here.
He needs to be the first star on a team. With the Pens, he would be number 3.

Perhaps, the rumored negotiations involve Kozlov and/or some D (not Schneider, I hope)?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:47 pm

booboo wrote:After thinking a bit about this, I conclude that Kovalchuk would not like to come here.

What is this based off of?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
booboo wrote:After thinking a bit about this, I conclude that Kovalchuk would not like to come here.

What is this based off of?

I couldn't figure this out either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm undecided on this trade. I think we would be giving up way too much, and having Colby Armstrong included makes me believe it is 100% false. He is the least needed type of player we need right now. For that deal, I could see 2 of the 3 of Staal, Satan, and Letang (I would hope not both Staal AND Letang).
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm

bhaw wrote:I'm undecided on this trade. I think we would be giving up way too much, and having Colby Armstrong included makes me believe it is 100% false. He is the least needed type of player we need right now. For that deal, I could see 2 of the 3 of Staal, Satan, and Letang (I would hope not both Staal AND Letang).

There isn't even a proposed trade in the rumor, just that the pens and thrashers are involved. Someone here just made up a deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:I'm undecided on this trade. I think we would be giving up way too much, and having Colby Armstrong included makes me believe it is 100% false. He is the least needed type of player we need right now. For that deal, I could see 2 of the 3 of Staal, Satan, and Letang (I would hope not both Staal AND Letang).

There isn't even a proposed trade in the rumor, just that the pens and thrashers are involved. Someone here just made up a deal.

Oh. Well then... I have nothing else to say.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 am

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=616&id=23829

Feaster doesn't even mention a deal at all. Nor does he mention the Pens for that matter. It's around the 50-minute mark.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 am

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:Cojac wasn't the only one who heard it...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... p=17530810

Where did this guy hear it from then?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 am

He probably looked way, way, way too much into the short comment about maybe it would be more beneficial to trade Kovalchuk now than later, and decided to cause some hype instead.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 am

meecrofilm wrote:He probably looked way, way, way too much into the short comment about maybe it would be more beneficial to trade Kovalchuk now than later, and decided to cause some hype instead.

I just mean that's 2 different people saying they heard something so I dunno.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote: its just his own end that he gets questionable.

Oh, Therrien knows how to fix that . . .

He'll just stick him on the third line. :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 am

SolidSnake wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:He probably looked way, way, way too much into the short comment about maybe it would be more beneficial to trade Kovalchuk now than later, and decided to cause some hype instead.

I just mean that's 2 different people saying they heard something so I dunno.

Maybe one of them made it up, then the other used it as a source? I think that's most likely.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby T.K. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 am

shmenguin wrote:kovalchuk's contract isn't enticing enough to make this deal. do a swap straight up kovy/staal and i'm game.

ya!!!1! Why even worry about the salary cap, RIGHT!?!!!!1 :roll:
T.K.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 am

Call up ATL's GM and just say "PLZ GIV US ALL UR WINGERZ PLZ" and it'll be done.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins