NHL Live Rumor...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby profpolisci on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 pm

penny lane wrote:Cheap answer~ David Booth from FLA.


This would be superb.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,322
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:i don't think this deal will get done, because we don't Ilya's jersey number available... we'd have to try to get sykora to switch to 39... if not there's just no way the deal gets done. What's worse is Ilya couldn't even wear the reverse of his number because evgeni sports it


Damn, you're right. Oh well...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,563
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:i don't think this deal will get done, because we don't Ilya's jersey number available... we'd have to try to get sykora to switch to 39... if not there's just no way the deal gets done. What's worse is Ilya couldn't even wear the reverse of his number because evgeni sports it


Damn, you're right. Oh well...


Well then you send Sykora back to ATL, problem solved (along with $2.5 million of cap space).
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,015
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Corvidae on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

KG wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Don't they have Kopitar? Brown is lesser known, but still what i'd consider a star.


Agreed. Kopitar is a budding star. But bringing a Kovalchuk type of player to LA would be huge for them. They need to start taking on Anaheim again....

Yes, LA is my other team I follow...


Defense and Goaltending is what's keeping them out of the hunt. The offense looks fine to me. Just wait till guys like Bernier and Doughty mature. I do not envy being in the Pacific Division.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 pm

No way the Kings are trading Frolov and one of their D prospects for Kovalchuk.

People forget, many of these major trades that have happened lately, the team trading the best player does not always get equal talent. A lot of times the team trading the best player (especially a rebuilding team) is trading for potential. This is why Staal and someone else makes sense. I could see Staal/Kennedy, etc being moved for a major talent.

I think Staal is going to be a good player in this league and a future captain for some team, but I don't think he's ever going to accomplish any of this while playing for the Penguins.

Staal, a 1st and one of Kennedy or someone else definitely gets Kovalchuk +.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby KG on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:No way the Kings are trading Frolov and one of their D prospects for Kovalchuk.

People forget, many of these major trades that have happened lately, the team trading the best player does not always get equal talent. A lot of times the team trading the best player (especially a rebuilding team) is trading for potential. This is why Staal and someone else makes sense. I could see Staal/Kennedy, etc being moved for a major talent.

I think Staal is going to be a good player in this league and a future captain for some team, but I don't think he's ever going to accomplish any of this while playing for the Penguins.

Staal, a 1st and one of Kennedy or someone else definitely gets Kovalchuk +.


I don't disagree with you at all. I just don't think that Frolov is part of the Kings long term plans, ala Cammalierri...He only has another year left on his deal...

Your offer of Staal, Kennedy and a #1 is very similar to a Frolov, Hickey type of deal imo...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Defence21 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 pm

cojac wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Yes, Burke does it all the time...but where has that gotten the Ducks? They won a Cup, yes, but that was before he started shuffling his roster to create cap space. It's not the way to run a team. Dumping players because the make money makes no sense (Gill, Satan). Dumping players because they don't fit in with the team makes sense (Sydor). The grass isn't always greener.

Don't forget that Gonchar's salary doesn't count because he's on the long term injury list.

It doesnt' count while he's hurt, but once he returns, his full cap hit is in effect. Longterm IR is designed to allow teams to replace players WHILE they are hurt, not once they return.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,847
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Defence21 wrote:
cojac wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Yes, Burke does it all the time...but where has that gotten the Ducks? They won a Cup, yes, but that was before he started shuffling his roster to create cap space. It's not the way to run a team. Dumping players because the make money makes no sense (Gill, Satan). Dumping players because they don't fit in with the team makes sense (Sydor). The grass isn't always greener.

Don't forget that Gonchar's salary doesn't count because he's on the long term injury list.

It doesnt' count while he's hurt, but once he returns, his full cap hit is in effect. Longterm IR is designed to allow teams to replace players WHILE they are hurt, not once they return.


True, but his cap hit when he returns is going to be pretty small.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Right, it'll be his full cap hit for the period of time that he's active. That should be about one month, which amounts to ~$1 million. Last year, the Avs signed Forsberg to a $5 million deal I believe but the cap hit was much less because he only played a couple months. The Pens probably will have an extra $6 million to work with because of the injuries to Whitney and Gonchar. I hope they get themselves in the Sundin sweepstakes. He's not the savior the media makes him out to be, but he's a good player that can be had without having to give up assets.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby PensFanBryan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm

cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $7.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$8,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000


This guy said this thread is bogus, as he heard Feaster say nothing about a Major deal between Pittsburgh & Atlanta:
http://goingfivehole.blogspot.com/
(sorry if its already been posted... I didnt look at all 10 pages of the thread).
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,914
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Saxonburg, PA

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Right, it'll be his full cap hit for the period of time that he's active. That should be about one month, which amounts to ~$1 million. Last year, the Avs signed Forsberg to a $5 million deal I believe but the cap hit was much less because he only played a couple months. The Pens probably will have an extra $6 million to work with because of the injuries to Whitney and Gonchar. I hope they get themselves in the Sundin sweepstakes. He's not the savior the media makes him out to be, but he's a good player that can be had without having to give up assets.


And he's probably the best currently in the business at winning faceoffs.

I wonder if he could be a LW on Crosby's line.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

PensFanBryan wrote:
cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $7.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$8,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000


This guy said this thread is bogus, as he heard Feaster say nothing about a Major deal between Pittsburgh & Atlanta:
http://goingfivehole.blogspot.com/
(sorry if its already been posted... I didnt look at all 10 pages of the thread).



Booooooooo! (not halloween related)
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,504
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm

cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $7.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$8,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000


I would exchange Letang for Sydor and go for it.. If we trade another d-man,we gonna run out of them right now..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,511
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Mosby on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Two ?s:

Which teams would be our best trade partners?

Which teams are likely to make move soon?

It doesn't seem like we have any good training partners for Staal.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Mosby wrote:Two ?s:

Which teams would be our best trade partners?

Which teams are likely to make move soon?

It doesn't seem like we have any good training partners for Staal.


LA obviously.

Probably Tampa, just because they're Tampa.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,255
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby K2 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 pm

profpolisci wrote:
penny lane wrote:Cheap answer~ David Booth from FLA.


This would be superb.


It would be superb, but Booth wouldn't come as cheap as we'd like to think. He's a fan-favorite on a team that lacks identity
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby seth on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:24 pm

listened to the feaster interview... didn't mention it at all. all he said is the clock is ticking for atlanta and kovy. idk where the hell they got 'blockbuster deal' out of listening to that
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:59 am

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

seth wrote:listened to the feaster interview... didn't mention it at all. all he said is the clock is ticking for atlanta and kovy. idk where the hell they got 'blockbuster deal' out of listening to that


Definitely makes sense that the Rags would be interested in Kovy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa wouldn't make a move either. Atlanta is supposedly shopping Lehtonen because they have a really good young goalie in the minors that they don't want to bring up yet unless he's going to play. Lots of Spezza to ? rumors are out there (but mostly to Calgary). Could be a mega deal like Kovalchuk/Lehtonen to Ottawa for Spezza, etc. All speculation though...
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby pens#1 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Sabu for Kovy
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,885
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: allentown

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:54 pm

PensFanBryan wrote:
cojac wrote:Ex TB GM Jay Feaster said the Pens and Thrashers have started talking about a "Major Trade", he didn't elaborate. I will :D

Pens Get:
Kovalchuk $7.5M
Armstrong $1.2M
----------$8,700,000
Thrashers Get:
#1 Pick
Staal $2.2M
Letang $560K
Satan $3.5M
-------$6,260,000


This guy said this thread is bogus, as he heard Feaster say nothing about a Major deal between Pittsburgh & Atlanta:
http://goingfivehole.blogspot.com/
(sorry if its already been posted... I didnt look at all 10 pages of the thread).


Lmao...Let's let this thread die please.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,111
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm

What's funny is there are a lot here that don't/want this to happen. It probably won't but if we get Kovalchuk they will be the same people welcoming him with open arms saying how they wanted to get him from the begining. :roll:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What's funny is there are a lot here that don't/want this to happen. It probably won't but if we get Kovalchuk they will be the same people welcoming him with open arms saying how they wanted to get him from the begining. :roll:


Exactly. We won't have to worry about taking 11 shots on goal too much anymore either.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby laholm64 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 pm

Atlanta isn't going to just give Ilya away. I could see us sending Staal IF Shero thinks his price is too high (just like Malone). I could see us throwing in Sydor as a salary dump (to fit Ilya's contract in to our cap), but I don't see him as someone they'd actively want. So I think it wouldn't be out of the question for us to throw in an offensive D like a Letang or a Whitney. I know Shero said Whitney is not for sale, but in this situation would he do it? If he wants Kovalchuk bad enough I think he might just do it. But this is all speculation as none of us knows if there is any talk between Shero and Atlanta.
laholm64
 

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What's funny is there are a lot here that don't/want this to happen. It probably won't but if we get Kovalchuk they will be the same people welcoming him with open arms saying how they wanted to get him from the begining. :roll:


I never wanted them to get Hossa, what happened this past offseason is exactly what I knew would happen. That said he is among my favorite players and I was ecstatic when he put on the Pens jersey. Its possible for it to go both ways.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,255
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: NHL Live Rumor...

Postby laholm64 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What's funny is there are a lot here that don't/want this to happen. It probably won't but if we get Kovalchuk they will be the same people welcoming him with open arms saying how they wanted to get him from the begining. :roll:


I am going on record as saying I'd love to have Kovalchuk on the Penguins.
laholm64
 

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AIS31, Desiato, jcgopens, murphydump55, Skatingpen and 36 guests


e-mail