Something I haven't seen on LGP about Ratner.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Something I haven't seen on LGP about Ratner.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:59 pm

I'm living in the NY Metro area, and sometimes I fall victim to the curse of NY. That is, the feeling that "The world revolves around NYC".

Sometimes I just assume that everyone gets the same information I do on a daily basis.

Is everyone aware tha Ratner is building his own Arena for his own Sports team?

He owns the Nets and is building an arena in Brooklyn.

We aren't dealing with Forest Gump here.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Something I haven't seen on LGP about Ratner.

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm living in the NY Metro area, and sometimes I fall victim to the curse of NY. That is, the feeling that "The world revolves around NYC".

Sometimes I just assume that everyone gets the same information I do on a daily basis.

Yes, it was mentioned in the PG when they did their big write-up about the FC plan. Based on what they said however, that plan is stalled because of a lot of push back from the community in Brooklyn. Is that the case? If so, why can't he take the money for that arena and plug it in here? He will make it back with the slots license.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Something I haven't seen on LGP about Ratner.

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:22 pm

dboss wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm living in the NY Metro area, and sometimes I fall victim to the curse of NY. That is, the feeling that "The world revolves around NYC".

Yes, it was mentioned in the PG when they did their big write-up about the FC plan. Based on what they said however, that plan is stalled because of a lot of push back from the community in Brooklyn. Is that the case? If so, why can't he take the money for that arena and plug it in here? He will make it back with the slots license.

Exactly. I read that he is negotiating with the Meadowlands to extend his lease there as a contingency if/when the Brooklyn deal falls through. He has not received a warm welcome from Brooklyn and made little if any progress on his proposed development there.

As I recall the only way he had $$$ for a new arena was if he obtained some prime Brooklyn real estate at bargain prices for non-sports development. The arena was kind of a gimmick to get his foot into Brooklyn. This is similar to the model Ellman used with the Coyotes in Glendale, except there isn't a ton of undeveloped cheap land in Brooklyn.

Just to add a point of clarification. The Ratner that owns the NJN is part of the family, but is a brother, cousin, nephew, or some sort of relative of the guy spearheading the SS proposal. It isn't the same frontman.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm posting more info about what Ratners doing in Brooklyn with his new Arena for the NETS.

This article is nearly a year old, but still pertainent.

Note the part about $200 million from the city of NY to for infrastructure support.

After the recent whining by Forest City about how the City of Pittsburgh will have to kick in for infrastructure surrounding the new Arena, it really strikes a raw nerve with me.

http://www.nolandgrab.org/archives/2005 ... s_net.html

And this article published today, shows what kind of Shark we're dealing with (Note the attorney doing the independant environmental study was a former Ratner employee and was removed by the court because of a conflict of interest)

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=57086
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bowser on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 pm

great work EPP - where is the local press on this issue... why are they not attempting to expose the Ratner bs.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:07 pm

Bowser wrote:great work EPP - where is the local press on this issue... why are they not attempting to expose the Ratner bs.

Because unfortunately, people tend to concemtrate on their local community.

They're local reporters reporting local issues.

The news to the aging Pittsburgh population is their 'tax burden' and maybe you can get them interested in political corruption. What a Cleveland developer is or is not doing in NYC is too esoteric for them to understand.

<sigh>
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Bowser wrote:great work EPP - where is the local press on this issue... why are they not attempting to expose the Ratner bs.

Because unfortunately, people tend to concemtrate on their local community.

They're local reporters reporting local issues.

The news to the aging Pittsburgh population is their 'tax burden' and maybe you can get them interested in political corruption. What a Cleveland developer is or is not doing in NYC is too esoteric for them to understand.

<sigh>

I forwarded your article to Madden, Junker and Crowe, Andy Conte, Mark Belko, Andy Sheehan, and Savran and highlighted the $1 Billion in tax breaks created by this deal. Hopefully someone from that group will do some further investigation.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:16 pm

Just in case anyone doubts that a new Arena would spur development of the surrounding property

http://www.nydailynews.com/business/sto ... 8233c.html

Again, this is Ratners own proposal for an Arena, not in Pittsburgh, in Brooklyn!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:10 pm

I came across a Cleveland based Blog that is a pretty good barometer of some of Forest City's 'adventures' around the country.

These guys are not to be taken lightly.

http://www.cleveland.com/weblogs/forestcity/
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins