Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:37 am

He's got 3 goals in 13 games and is on pace for 19 goals! This is a guy who scored 39 goals in his rookie season as an 18-year old with guys like Mark Recchi, Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone on his wings for most of the year. Remember when he was actually able to pick the corner and score with long range wrist shots? Remember that one game in Philly in his rookie year in which he scored 2 goals in like 15 seconds from like 35 feet?

You can see how bad he wants a goal sometimes just by the plays he makes. On that 5 on 3 when he walked in front of the net tonight, that's not something he doesn't do very often on the power play. The Pens needed a goal badly, and is that really the best play on a 5 on 3? :/ That's not probably the best example because the Pens were desperate to stop the bleeding once it was 5-3 and they had missed a bunch of chances on that power play at that point so maybe just walking in front of the net wasn't such a bad idea...

But anyway, lately when watching the games I'm obsessing about Crosby's lack of goal scoring and that butter knife stick of his. I wonder if he's gonna change it at any point this year. His shot just doesn't have enough power most of the time. But it's not only that. For whatever reason, Sid just can't seem to hit the corners of the net or shoot high.

Maybe I'm just ranting, and I know this has been discussed very often here so if there have been too many threads about it, sorry, but to me it's such a bummer that such a skilled player just can't seem to find the net. After his rookie year I thought for sure he was a guy that not only was an amazing playmaker but also a lock for 45 to 50 goals if not more every year. Maybe that just isn't the case.

Still, it'd be nice if he can at least reach the 40 goal plateau this year. I wonder though if he has to change something? Because he gets so many chances to score every game and just can't seem to be able to do it. And by the way it's because of his lack of goals that he has only 16 points in 13 games which is 1.23 points per game, less than his career average. He's 5 points behind Malkin as well. And before anyone points out that Malkin himself only has 3 goals, I'm less concerned about that because Malkin actually scored 47 last year and I really think once he starts scoring goals he'll get on a really hot goal scoring streak. I'm not so sure about Sid.
Last edited by ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Elementary Penguin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:39 am

I think he's squeezing his stick a little tightly right now. He just keeps hitting the goalies in the logo. Once he gets a couple, I think he will relax and he will start converting those chances more often.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 am

Isn't he basically using a similar (if not identical) pattern as the one he used to score 39 goals as a rookie? He likes it for passing, and has had goal scoring success with it in the past. As particular as he seems to be about equipment, I don't see him looking to change it anytime soon, and I'm not convinced he should.

Besides, of all the different reasons going through his own head about his goal totals (and I don't think he thinks about it that much to begin with), I'm guessing his stick is last on the list, assuming it's even on the list at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 am

By the way I forgot to mention that those 3 goals are hardly a sniper's goals. Let's face it, his first goal of the season against Toronto he scored only because that Leafs defenseman went to the net. Of course, Sid pretty much anticipated that would happen and it was a great play because of it. Still, that's hardly a great goal. Toskala made a big mistake on that play.

Then he barely got a piece of Malkin's slap shot against Carolina, and then he scored on a rebound against the Rangers.

I've been holding back and just accepting the fact that Sid's simply not getting goals right now but after 13 games of not a single nice goal from Crosby and only 3 overall, I had to vent. Especially with that incredibly frustrating 3rd period.

netwolf wrote:Isn't he basically using a similar (if not identical) pattern as the one he used to score 39 goals as a rookie? He likes it for passing, and has had goal scoring success with it in the past. As particular as he seems to be about equipment, I don't see him looking to change it anytime soon, and I'm not convinced he should.

Besides, of all the different reasons going through his own head about his goal totals (and I don't think he thinks about it that much to begin with), I'm guessing his stick is last on the list, assuming it's even on the list at all.

I don't think at all that he's obsessed about it like I am, I'll give you that, but there's no way he's not CONSTANTLY thinking about it during games and practices. No way in hell. He's passing up fewer chances to shoot nowadays, and let's face it, it's the only part of his game that's missing. He has become an excellent two-way player, he wins battles in the corner and is the best playmaker in the game. The only thing missing is goal scoring. Crosby wants to win AND be the best and he knows that scoring goals is something he needs to do. Does he care if he scores 50 goals or 35 goals? Doubt it. But right now there's no way that he's not often thinking about his goal totals.
Last edited by ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:09 am

I'm sure it's on his mind, but I'd stop short of saying he's constantly thinking about it during games. Once a game starts, I think his single focus is on getting a win; nothing else matters. I think the increased attention to taking shots when they're available is just to keep defenders honest. I'm pretty sure he said something along those lines, either during camp or the earlier part of the season.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 am

He's getting good scoring chances but the puck isn't going in.

The past few games, he could have had multi-goal games but it just isn't working out.

Maybe he and Staal can get together for some after practice shooting classes :)
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:40 am

As long as the team keeps winning, Sid can score 6 goals this season for all I care. And I'm sure he has similar sentiments...obviously not 6 goals...but...you know what I mean.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Evgeni Malkin is on pace for 25 goals.

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 am

That's like, totally unacceptable. He should be flogged with banana peels and made to sing "It's Raining Men" in public.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:02 am

I'm on pace to drink 46 cups of coffee today.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Evgeni Malkin is on pace for 25 goals.

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:21 am

Kopitar, Brown and Johnson.

According to Steigy, Satan's "41 goals" will make up for Malkin and Crosby's lack of scoring. :lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:23 am

He would have to shoot to score...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:54 am

I'm pretty sure one of those goals was technically his last night, he shot it off satans stick on purpose.

Malkin is still playing amazing dispite his goal count.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 am

He's also on pace for 132.46 points :)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:21 am

Trade Semin for Crosby?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Sydor is on pace for +44 and Pesonen projects to -82

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 am

And san jose is on its way to 41 wins at home and 139 points this season.

Honestly people its time to stop being so critical over individual performances. Players get hot and or cold.

It's one thing to be concerned about perpetually blowing leads but the bellyaching about individual performance is going overboard.

Instead of watchign players with an extremely critical eye, enjoy the game for what it is.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Sydor is on pace for +44 and Pesonen projects to -82

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 am

Next spring I'll buy you a ride all day ticket...:) You win for POTD (post of the day)

I loved being at last night's game. The action and skating was beautiful to watch. Isn't that the type of game people long for from the 80's? No doubt the pens need voodoo to get through a 3rd period but they won.

The saves Flower made in the 1st/2nd were great...Sid was all over the ice, best skating game since pre injury. Alex Hemskey (?) sorry I don't get to see more of him.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:55 am

Gaucho wrote:I'm on pace to drink 46 cups of coffee today.

I better pick up my pace :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:56 am

he needs to grow a fu manchu stache.

I have the same thoughts during games about sid. He is getting chances, I just think he is in one of those cold streaks where nothing is going in, witness the early game chance last night where he had it on the goal line and it somehow did not go in. We have all seen him fill the net in the past and I think once he gets hot he wont miss.

Overall I think he has to just shoot the puck more which it looks like he starting to do. If other teams start thinking he will drive the net rather than pull up for the pass it will then open his game back up. Its almost like they are giving him the shot first and he just isnt hitting the open spots. If the goalie's logo was a goal he would have 20 goals by now.
Last edited by spi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:56 am

DocEmrick wrote:As long as the team keeps winning, Sid can score 6 goals this season for all I care. And I'm sure he has similar sentiments...obviously not 6 goals...but...you know what I mean.

This is the winning statement. Who cares if Crosby or Malkin are number 1. They both can't be number 1.

Geno: You know Sid, I was thinking maybe just one time you could let me win the scoring title.
Sid (unsure look on his face): Well, if you win how am I go win?
Geno: Yeah I was thinking about that, heh so stupid my bad.
Sid: There's nothing wrong with Silver.

SHAKE AND BAKE

SID GENO

ivand87, I think your acting to much like a puck bunny. I used to only think Crosby was the team too. You will change for the better soon enough.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 am

Maybe I'm just ranting maybe :P but you are allowed. :)

Seven shots for the captain and 60% face-off wins; Sid just needs to close his eyes and let the puck fly. I don't need to see 5 points from him every game to validate his worth.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:22 am

Nizzy wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:As long as the team keeps winning, Sid can score 6 goals this season for all I care. And I'm sure he has similar sentiments...obviously not 6 goals...but...you know what I mean.

This is the winning statement. Who cares if Crosby or Malkin are number 1. They both can't be number 1.

Geno: You know Sid, I was thinking maybe just one time you could let me win the scoring title.
Sid (unsure look on his face): Well, if you win how am I go win?
Geno: Yeah I was thinking about that, heh so stupid my bad.
Sid: There's nothing wrong with Silver.

SHAKE AND BAKE

SID GENO

ivand87, I think your acting to much like a puck bunny. I used to only think Crosby was the team too. You will change for the better soon enough.

You got to SHAKE IT BEFORE YOU BAKE IT,

Man you can say that like a thousand times it never gets old
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 am

I wouldn't worry about either Sid or Geno's lack of goals thus far. They'll come.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:24 am

penny lane wrote:Maybe I'm just ranting maybe :P but you are allowed. :)

Seven shots for the captain and 60% face-off wins; Sid just needs to close his eyes and let the puck fly. I don't need to see 5 points from him every game to validate his worth.

I believe Dupius did that this year, there was even a quote him saying he closed his eyes and just shot the puck and it went in, maybe Stall should do that, he has to be leading the league in shots gone wide. Maybe Malkin should have a shooting session with Stall and Crosby.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:24 am

Sigh.

I can understand the concern, I guess I am a bit concerned, too.
I hope he pulls it together, at the very least to shut people like Semin up. Though if it's 19 goals and a Stanley Cup, I'd be okay with that. :)

I thought it was just injuries for a while, but now I wonder if it's just mental. :?
He's certainly not someone people should start writing off, though.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:34 am

Hey, I saw face off wins from Geno! The more he takes the better he'll be in that area.
8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins