Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Fire SC!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby NeddieVedder on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:48 pm

At absolute worst you'd compare him to Peter Forsberg, not Adam freaking Oates. And Forsberg never scored more than 30, let alone 36 (granted, he'd always miss 5-15 games).
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Nizzy wrote:ivand87, I think your acting to much like a puck bunny. I used to only think Crosby was the team too. You will change for the better soon enough.


Wow, that is a low blow! I'm acting like a puck bunny? LOL... You bastard ;)

Anyway yeah I do want Sid to do well, he's my favorite player ever other than Mario and he's our captain. It's great that Satan is doing well so far but we need Sid to score goals as well.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby ivand87 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:26 pm

canaan wrote:
:roll:

I guess somebody just forgot that it's illegal to point out anything negative about Sidney, even though his struggles to score goals have been ongoing and obvious to anybody not in denial.


Image

Crosby is doing everything he should be doing. If he keeps playing that this current speed/pace/whatever you want to call it, he'll be in the top 5 in scoring....again. its overly critical and, for lack of a better word, dumb. ...and worthy of mocking.


The purpose of this thread, if you read the entire first post, was to read other fans' opinions about Crosby's lack of goal scoring. He is the best player in the world and I pointed out that he's the best playmaker and his two-way play is excellent. The only thing that he's missing right now is goal scoring. It's constructive criticism. I didn't mean to be negative, and I was careful to not make it sound as if I was just whining. The fact of the matter is, Crosby has the skills to be a 45 or 50 goal scorer every year, but he's not getting those goals. Game in and game out this year and for long stretches last season when he was healthy, the goal scoring just wasn't there from Sid. It's perfectly OK to point that out. Your response, on the other hand, is completely worthless.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,145
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Obviously you didn't try very hard, because it came off as whining. Its a little early to be worrying about goal scoring, especially since he is putting the puck on net. Maybe he is actually shooting too much. Maybe goalies were so caught off guard when he shoots in prior years that it was easier for him to score when he did decide to shoot. Who ever thought they'd see someone complain that Sid shoots too much. Of course I don't believe it, but a month into the season is definitely early to be worrying about goal production from an individual player, no matter who that player is.

To put it in perspective:

Crosby 3 goals in 13 games = .23 goals per game
Ovechkin 2 goals in 10 games = .20 goals per game

Fin.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Obviously you didn't try very hard, because it came off as whining.


or because people like to assume its whining so that they can stick it to the poster because it makes themselves feel better. i dont understand why people cant just respond normally to what amounts to a valid point
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Pens15 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Obviously you didn't try very hard, because it came off as whining.


or because people like to assume its whining so that they can stick it to the poster because it makes themselves feel better. i dont understand why people cant just respond normally to what amounts to a valid point


Exactly. Some people just can't handle a thread like this, it's like they take it personally or something. I have no idea why, it is a completely valid point and valid thread. Fact is Crosby's goal-scoring struggles have been mighty at times and date back to last year. Several people responded to your post with legitimate thoughts and points, and that's who you should respond to, not these few sarcastic, rude people who dismiss your point out of hand. You don't need to placate them to win their approval, there is room on this board for a variety of opinions and perspectives.

EDIT -- just noticed that it was ivand87 as the OP and not Rohit but my point still applies.
Last edited by Pens15 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Obviously you didn't try very hard, because it came off as whining.


or because people like to assume its whining so that they can stick it to the poster because it makes themselves feel better. i dont understand why people cant just respond normally to what amounts to a valid point


Considering that you failed to include or respond to the majority of my post, this is hilariously hypocritical.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:19 am

Benjo wrote:If you guys don't want him anymore we'll take him in Vancouver :lol:


That would solve the problem of not having Sedin on our top 2 lines. Do it Shero!
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Guinness on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
To put it in perspective:

Crosby 3 goals in 13 games = .23 goals per game
Ovechkin 2 goals in 10 games = .20 goals per game

Fin.


Yes, but to be fair, Ovechkin seems to have become glazed over by his borderline obsession with one Evgeny Malkin. Maybe his advances weren't reciprocated... Dude probably doesn't even see the net anymore... just:

Image

I'm a secure dude, but those shorts exceed my comfort threshold...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,317
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Obviously you didn't try very hard, because it came off as whining.


or because people like to assume its whining so that they can stick it to the poster because it makes themselves feel better. i dont understand why people cant just respond normally to what amounts to a valid point


Considering that you failed to include or respond to the majority of my post, this is hilariously hypocritical.


actually, my friend, it is not hypocritical. the rest of your post had NOTHING to do with the point i was trying to make.

i agree with the rest of your post. me leaving it out doesnt make my point any less valid.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:11 am

Rohit wrote:actually, my friend, it is not hypocritical. the rest of your post had NOTHING to do with the point i was trying to make.

i agree with the rest of your post. me leaving it out doesnt make my point any less valid.


It very much was hypocritical, 90+% of my post was absolutely relevant to the thread and you chose to quote ~half a line and then based on that intimated that I wasn't making a normal response to the thread, which in turn was making an unfair response to my post. I gave my opinion which is exactly what was asked for in the thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:07 am

I love the facepalm. I do it all the time.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,142
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rohit wrote:actually, my friend, it is not hypocritical. the rest of your post had NOTHING to do with the point i was trying to make.

i agree with the rest of your post. me leaving it out doesnt make my point any less valid.


It very much was hypocritical, 90+% of my post was absolutely relevant to the thread and you chose to quote ~half a line and then based on that intimated that I wasn't making a normal response to the thread, which in turn was making an unfair response to my post. I gave my opinion which is exactly what was asked for in the thread.


...thats my point 90+ % is not 100%

the point i was trying to make is, your post (and many others, im not singling you out) could have been made without the little jab to the original poster. how is that hypocritical, im just standing up for the guy
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Rohit wrote:actually, my friend, it is not hypocritical. the rest of your post had NOTHING to do with the point i was trying to make.

i agree with the rest of your post. me leaving it out doesnt make my point any less valid.


It very much was hypocritical, 90+% of my post was absolutely relevant to the thread and you chose to quote ~half a line and then based on that intimated that I wasn't making a normal response to the thread, which in turn was making an unfair response to my post. I gave my opinion which is exactly what was asked for in the thread.


...thats my point 90+ % is not 100%

the point i was trying to make is, your post (and many others, im not singling you out) could have been made without the little jab to the original poster. how is that hypocritical, im just standing up for the guy


How is it a shot at him? It was truthful. The post DID come of as whining. Just because it wasn't positive doesn't mean it was false.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:24 pm

When we look back on Crosby's career, do we really want to have to remember discussing that he's "on pace" for 19 goals 13 games into a season? To me, critiquing Crosby's game is off limits. Just enjoy watching one of the greats. Eventually, there may be a time when Pittsburgh isn't spoiled enough to have a hockey superstar.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:How is it a shot at him? It was truthful. The post DID come of as whining. Just because it wasn't positive doesn't mean it was false.



i didnt think it came across as whining so i dont think it was truthful and thats why i singled out the "obviously you didnt try hard enough" part of your post because you say its obvious that he is whining and im saying i didnt think he was whining so "obviously people here assume the poster is whining"

it goes both ways. i didnt really mean to scold you or anything like that, all im trying to say is i wish people would just respond to the topic presented by the poster. now admittedly im being a hypocrite here :-P but i just wanted to stand up for the guy a little bit. think about it, you could have gotten your point across without that little jab. and i know at the end of the day this really isnt a big deal at all but it gets annoying sometimes, for instance, when i post a topic people jump all over it for meaningless things like the notion of "whining" and then id have to sift through all that garbage just to find the relevant information i was looking for.

like i said, im just trying to stick up for the guy, i wasnt trying to be a jerk to you
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Henry Hank wrote:When we look back on Crosby's career, do we really want to have to remember discussing that he's "on pace" for 19 goals 13 games into a season? To me, critiquing Crosby's game is off limits. Just enjoy watching one of the greats. Eventually, there may be a time when Pittsburgh isn't spoiled enough to have a hockey superstar.


i dont think critiquing his game is off limits. why is he anymore special than staal, or fleury, or even whitney?

yes he is a better player, but that doesnt give him special treatment. he is part of a TEAM and when he isnt helping the team, then he is subject to criticism. so back to my original question, why is he anymore special than any of the other players? well, its not that he isnt subject to criticism, but rather, its that he will eventually answer the criticism whereas some of the other players may not. he isnt perfect (yet :-D)
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Guinness wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
To put it in perspective:

Crosby 3 goals in 13 games = .23 goals per game
Ovechkin 2 goals in 10 games = .20 goals per game

Fin.


Yes, but to be fair, Ovechkin seems to have become glazed over by his borderline obsession with one Evgeny Malkin. Maybe his advances weren't reciprocated... Dude probably doesn't even see the net anymore... just:

Image

I'm a secure dude, but those shorts exceed my comfort threshold...


Seriously. Somebody should pull Malkin aside and have a little talk with him. I can't look at that picture without feeling uncomfortable. This isn't the first time for him, either.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
To put it in perspective:

Crosby 3 goals in 13 games = .23 goals per game
Ovechkin 2 goals in 10 games = .20 goals per game

Fin.


Yes, but to be fair, Ovechkin seems to have become glazed over by his borderline obsession with one Evgeny Malkin. Maybe his advances weren't reciprocated... Dude probably doesn't even see the net anymore... just:

Image

I'm a secure dude, but those shorts exceed my comfort threshold...


Seriously. Somebody should pull Malkin aside and have a little talk with him. I can't look at that picture without feeling uncomfortable. This isn't the first time for him, either.


There is nothing not to like in that picture. I like it, I like it a lot.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,376
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Seriously. Somebody should pull Malkin aside and have a little talk with him. I can't look at that picture without feeling uncomfortable. This isn't the first time for him, either.


There is nothing not to like in that picture. I like it, I like it a lot.


Oh.....
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:27 am

Tyler Kennedy is on pace for 30 goals this year.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,435
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 am

The problem is the whole "on pace" thing has no bearings in reality. Kennedy was on pace for 164 goals after the first game. The Rangers were on pace to win 82 games this year after their first 8 or 9. Vanek is on pace for 80+ goals. "On pace" is useless when it comes to a critique like this. It would possibly be valid if Crosby had a history of scoring around 15-20 goals, had a bunch of big seasons, then came out this season on this pace. But even then...?

Knowing what you've seen of Sidney Crosby the past 3 years, what is more likely to occur?
a) He continues at this pace and ends up with 19 goals
b) He hits his stride and ends up putting in 30/40+ goals

Also, why must we always complain about a guy's stick? Crosby has taken thousands upon thousands upon thousands of shots with his current stick. He knows how to control where the puck goes with it. Patterns matter for the beer league player who takes 3 shots a week during his Tuesday night game. For an NHL player, it's about comfort. I would be willing to guarantee that changing his blade pattern would actually make him multiple times worse. If you've ever consistently played a sport that requires a bat, stick, racquet, etc, you know how it feels to change it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,806
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby Rohit on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:04 pm

bhaw wrote:The problem is the whole "on pace" thing has no bearings in reality. Kennedy was on pace for 164 goals after the first game. The Rangers were on pace to win 82 games this year after their first 8 or 9. Vanek is on pace for 80+ goals. "On pace" is useless when it comes to a critique like this. It would possibly be valid if Crosby had a history of scoring around 15-20 goals, had a bunch of big seasons, then came out this season on this pace. But even then...?

Knowing what you've seen of Sidney Crosby the past 3 years, what is more likely to occur?
a) He continues at this pace and ends up with 19 goals
b) He hits his stride and ends up putting in 30/40+ goals

Also, why must we always complain about a guy's stick? Crosby has taken thousands upon thousands upon thousands of shots with his current stick. He knows how to control where the puck goes with it. Patterns matter for the beer league player who takes 3 shots a week during his Tuesday night game. For an NHL player, it's about comfort. I would be willing to guarantee that changing his blade pattern would actually make him multiple times worse. If you've ever consistently played a sport that requires a bat, stick, racquet, etc, you know how it feels to change it.


you are right about all of that, but at the same time, the flip side is, if there were ever a player who could make the adjustment to a new stick, it would be sidney crosby. you are probably 99.99999% right that the guy knows what he is doing but of course there is the possibility that a minor adjustment to his equipment may make his shot a little better and if thats true, sid is capable of adjusting to the new stick to keep his passing ability on top of the league.

Also, though, i bet he has tried changing his blade pattern to get a feel for different configurations so i dont really think this is much of an issue anyways
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Crosby on pace for 19 goals

Postby André on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:28 pm

It is still early and yes the whole "on pace" always come down to (often pessimistic) speculation.

That said, when watching the Pens this year (I've seen 6 of the games I think, got a real job now and can't really stay up all the time) I am frustraded by Crosby. Last night his first shifts and most of the first period looked very promising but then nothing. Other games he's been all over the place but it's not like it used to be with him being consistently awesome, game after game after game. I'm not just talking the goals but his overall play.

Hopefully just a slump though. I'm sure he'll turn things around before retiring :D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,273
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Desiato, Dr Rosenrosen, Inkio, lemieuxReturns, malkinshair, Pruezy11881, RxBandit66, SolidSnake, Wyopen and 46 guests

e-mail