God of thunder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

God of thunder

Postby marek on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I have to admit I was a huge fan of BGL and seeing him go was tough.

But... I couldn't be more impressed with Goddard right now. He's definitely filled the E role just fine.
He's no offensive juggernaut, but the guy will drop them with anyone and usually comes out on top.

His go with last night with Macintyre was just another for the season's you tube highlight reel.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: God of thunder

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Yeah, Godard has been impressive this year as he was in Calgary last season. While I was on the keep BLG bandwagon, for the cost of Godard I'm really glad things worked out the way they did. I don't know if BGL is hurt or what, but he's been scratched from the Montreal lineup a lot this season.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

So is their a petition I can start to have the pens play Kiss' God Of Thunder when he fights?

I have been calling for that for quite some time now = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:14 pm

BGL doesnt like to fight and many people wont fight him. hes scrappy but i noticed here in PGH even, he wanted to score and be offesive more. His job was to be that big E and its hard to be him when no one will fight. Godard is like perfect. He's scrappy but people arent afraid to fight him. and he fights more in these first games than BGL did last year.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm

As an "enforcer", BGL stunk. It was great to watch him win fights, but they rarely served a purpose. When he was sent out on the ice after Letang got drilled, he did not waste too many strides in finding the guy who ran him.

He has also fared very well in almost every one of his bouts. He has destroyed McIntyre and Bradley this year already, and we are only 13 games in. McIntyre weighs something like 260lbs, and has plenty of fights under his belt but Goddard whipped his butt. It was funny watching him in the box telling the attendant there that he was "fine", as he had to grab the railing to keep himself upright.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:19 pm

The Snapshot wrote:As an "enforcer", BGL stunk. It was great to watch him win fights, but they rarely served a purpose. When he was sent out on the ice after Letang got drilled, he did not waste too many strides in finding the guy who ran him.

He has also fared very well in almost every one of his bouts. He has destroyed McIntyre and Bradley this year already, and we are only 13 games in. McIntyre weighs something like 260lbs, and has plenty of fights under his belt but Goddard whipped his butt. It was funny watching him in the box telling the attendant there that he was "fine", as he had to grab the railing to keep himself upright.

Did Godard go with Bradley or was that Biz-nasty?
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby superconan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 pm

westside wrote:Did Godard go with Bradley or was that Biz-nasty?

Biz-Nasty
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 pm

I liked watching Laraque squish people against the boards. Remember that Brind a mour hit? Whew....

Couldn't find that one, but here's the Cowan hit. You know, to remember the good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm9XnoI40t0
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WWGRD on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Godard has lived up to all my expectations. On July 1st, when we signed him I knew he would be a great enforcer that can actually do the job and protect our star players. Another good signing by Shero.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:35 pm

WWGRD wrote:Godard has lived up to all my expectations. On July 1st, when we signed him I knew he would be a great enforcer that can actually do the job and protect our star players. Another good signing by Shero.

From what I knew about him I knew he'd have enough edge to be an effective enforcer, I've been very pleasantly surprised that he can actually hold his own with the puck too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:42 pm

The good thing is we signed him for 3 years. Basically if we don't re-sign him after that Boogaard or Bissonnette will be our top heavyweight.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:19 pm

WWGRD wrote:The good thing is we signed him for 3 years. Basically if we don't re-sign him after that Boogaard or Bissonnette will be our top heavyweight.

Yeah thats huge, especially at his contract. It looked good when the signing was made, but after actually seeing him on the ice, that is a huge signing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:32 am

WWGRD wrote:Godard has lived up to all my expectations. On July 1st, when we signed him I knew he would be a great enforcer that can actually do the job and protect our star players. Another good signing by Shero.

This. No more veiled invitations to drop the gloves and walking away dejected when it doesn't happen, this guy actually makes people pay for what they do instead of just letting them say "no". And the good part about it is he doesn't force people to fight; if they don't want to go, he'll get in their face or give them a good check rather than taking a 5 minute major for whaling on a guy who isn't fighting back. Master of his craft, though I'd like it if Cote didn't spank him the next time they play Filthy.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Samsdog wrote:Master of his craft, though I'd like it if Cote didn't spank him the next time they play Filthy.

I thought it was a clear win for Godard last time.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:47 pm

superconan wrote:
Samsdog wrote:Master of his craft, though I'd like it if Cote didn't spank him the next time they play Filthy.

I thought it was a clear win for Godard last time.

It was.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shane613 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:45 pm

he wrecked cote
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Umm. Mitch Fritz tonight. 6'8", 260lbs.. :shock:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Fritz was sent down to Bridgeport today. They called up Tim Jackman.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:48 pm

That bites. I was looking forward to seeing him. The guy threw BGL around like a ragdoll the other day...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Hopefully he will be back up at one point when we play the Isles.

I also want to see Leblond (when he's healthy) from New Jersey vs. Godard
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Godard a great signing

Postby The Current One on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:43 pm

It seems like he's already fought more than Big George did his entire time here, and other than the bout against Jody Shelley, he's won them all. Props to Shero for bringing him in, and props to Godard for doing what he was brought here to do.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Godard a great signing

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Godard was an excellent signing. He doesn't back down from nobody and notice you don't see too many cheap shots on Geno or Sid so far this season. Offensively he tries his best and isn't too bad. I don't worry when I see him on the ice. He's signed for 3 years and if he keeps doing this it's gonna be one of the more underrated Shero signings.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:55 pm

I don't really remember many cheap shots on them when Laraque was around either, but I don't want to turn this into another Laraque bash - which I'm sure it will. I think signing Godard amounts to this - he costs half as much as Laraque. He'll fight other team's goons during the season and serve his purpose there, but he shouldn't play in the playoffs.Considering that even Laraque's value in the playoffs is pretty questionable, I don't know why any team would spend much more than the minimum on any goon. They're a dime a dozen.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't really remember many cheap shots on them when Laraque was around either, but I don't want to turn this into another Laraque bash - which I'm sure it will. I think signing Godard amounts to this - he costs half as much as Laraque. He'll fight other team's goons during the season and serve his purpose there, but he shouldn't play in the playoffs.Considering that even Laraque's value in the playoffs is pretty questionable, I don't know why any team would spend much more than the minimum on any goon. They're a dime a dozen.

I def don't want to turn it into a Laraque bashing thread either. I def agree Godard costs half of what Laraque is and what you compare it to what BGL did I'd rather have Godard.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 pm

I liked BGL, but this is a good signing. Not to mention that Goddard, & the other new guys, aren't taking stupid penalties very often....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins