ohlund

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

ohlund

Postby hank coach on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Fedotenko + Eaton and a pick for Ohlund
did anyone hear about this one,,,,news to me
hank coach
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: ohlund

Postby joeyg412 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:08 pm

eklund
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby hank coach on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Eklund.......what a knuckle head.......
hank coach
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Actually Hank, wasn't it Tank and a HIGH pick for Ohlund ??

No thank you...
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Forgetting for a moment that if this comes from Eklund, it's most likely bunk...

The posted version I found over there was, as Va Beach said, was "Fedotenko + a top pick for Ohlund." No mention of Eaton. Not sure if that was edited down from earlier or what.

Ohlund is due $3.5M for this year and is then UFA. Fedotenko has one year left at $2.25. The Pens have between $575-750K in cap space from what I can find at NHL. This move would apparently put the Pens over the upper limit unless other players are involved, and even if they did that to make the numbers work, this move would also make the blueline situation even more crowded. The Pens already have 7 healthy defensemen and Whitney could be ready in a month.

Also, the Pens can't afford to move another high (1st, 2nd or 3rd round) pick IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm pretty sure Ohlund was rumored to Tampa in exchange for Carle and then Vancouver's GM came out in the press and said Ohlund would NOT be traded.

Eklund makes stuff up.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Ohlund is arguably the Canucks best defenseman I don't think they are gonna trade him.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:05 pm

If Shero decides to make a move, he's likely to move a defenseman (Sydor) and another forward to acquire another top line winger for Crosby. We should be looking at teams who are struggling and have potential UFAs this summer.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Noise on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Bowser wrote:If Shero decides to make a move, he's likely to move a defenseman (Sydor) and another forward to acquire another top line winger for Crosby. We should be looking at teams who are struggling and have potential UFAs this summer.

Sydor + Dupuis + a pick for ?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Maybe we can have 10 defensman playing all at once...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Noise wrote:
Bowser wrote:If Shero decides to make a move, he's likely to move a defenseman (Sydor) and another forward to acquire another top line winger for Crosby. We should be looking at teams who are struggling and have potential UFAs this summer.

Sydor + Dupuis + a pick for ?

You think he'd trade Dupuis a few months after signing him for 3 years?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:10 pm

netwolf wrote:Forgetting for a moment that if this comes from Eklund, it's most likely bunk...

The posted version I found over there was, as Va Beach said, was "Fedotenko + a top pick for Ohlund." No mention of Eaton. Not sure if that was edited down from earlier or what.

Ohlund is due $3.5M for this year and is then UFA. Fedotenko has one year left at $2.25. The Pens have between $575-750K in cap space from what I can find at NHL. This move would apparently put the Pens over the upper limit unless other players are involved, and even if they did that to make the numbers work, this move would also make the blueline situation even more crowded. The Pens already have 7 healthy defensemen and Whitney could be ready in a month.

Also, the Pens can't afford to move another high (1st, 2nd or 3rd round) pick IMO.

are the penguins really that up against the cap, i thought they had a good deal of wiggle room this year
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:10 pm

KG wrote:Maybe we can have 10 defensman playing all at once...

Bwahaha! They'll never score on us now!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Would you rather trade Talbot or Kennedy?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Noise wrote:Would you rather trade Talbot or Kennedy?

Kennedy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Rather trade him than Dupuis?

Kennedy's probably got better value, I grant you that. . . but he's also signed next year and I think he's got more upside than dupuis.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Noise wrote:Rather trade him than Dupuis?

Kennedy's probably got better value, I grant you that. . . but he's also signed next year and I think he's got more upside than dupuis.

Dupuis is in the first year of a 3 year contract. I don't think Kennedy's being signed next year gives him a greater value.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Where are all the closet Micki DuPont fans???????????
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:39 pm

holeinone wrote:Where are all the closet Micki DuPont fans???????????

in the closet
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Rohit wrote:are the penguins really that up against the cap, i thought they had a good deal of wiggle room this year

According to NHLSCAP.com, the Pens are have currently 754,933 of cap space....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Sydor, Feds, Kennedy, Eaton, 3rd Rounder for Sedin Twins and Ohlund.

See, I can do it too.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:
Rohit wrote:are the penguins really that up against the cap, i thought they had a good deal of wiggle room this year

Yep, and nhlnumbers.com has them at 575K. At least part of the difference comes from NHLSCAP still having Bill Thomas up and Mike Zigomanis down, but either way, they are right up against the limit. Now, if you were to point out that either number makes that Ohlund rumor impossible, I'm sure Eklund and his defenders would fall back on something like "well, the rumor only mentions the principal players involved" or something like that.

Those cap numbers are also another reason why Shanahan coming here is unlikely to happen. I know he's supposedly willing to sign for under a million, but I don't think Shero is going to use up every last cent of cap space he has. He'd likely be looking to dump salary somewhere first, and given the injuries to Whitney and Gonchar, it would likely have to come at the expense of a current forward on the roster.

I think the perception that the Pens aren't that close to the ceiling is because everyone is forgetting about Gonchar and Whitney. According to both sites, neither player was ever placed on LTIR, so their salaries still count towards that cap. That's $9M right there.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:03 pm

netwolf wrote:
Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:

Yep, and nhlnumbers.com has them at 575K. At least part of the difference comes from NHLSCAP still having Bill Thomas up and Mike Zigomanis down, but either way, they are right up against the limit. Now, if you were to point out that either number makes that Ohlund rumor impossible, I'm sure Eklund and his defenders would fall back on something like "well, the rumor only mentions the principal players involved" or something like that.

Those cap numbers are also another reason why Shanahan coming here is unlikely to happen. I know he's supposedly willing to sign for under a million, but I don't think Shero is going to use up every last cent of cap space he has. He'd likely be looking to dump salary somewhere first, and given the injuries to Whitney and Gonchar, it would likely have to come at the expense of a current forward on the roster.

I think the perception that the Pens aren't that close to the ceiling is because everyone is forgetting about Gonchar and Whitney. According to both sites, neither player was ever placed on LTIR, so their salaries still count towards that cap. That's $9M right there.

People also think they have space because most of them went into the season thinking that it was a foregone conclusion that Sydor was being moved for basically nothing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:26 pm

netwolf wrote:
Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:

i just thought they had some room since malkins big contract doesnt start until next year. how the heck are they going to afford anyone next year?
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 pm

They're not
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins