ohlund

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ohlund

Postby Bowser on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Pens have about $17 million in cap space but they have to use is wisely on 10 players.

Signed: Crosby, Malkin, Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Godard, Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Eaton and Fleury = $41.33 million + TK's salary
Key RFA's:
Staal - $3.5 million per for 3 years
Goligoski - $2 million per for 4 years
Talbot - $2 million per for 4 years

Key UFA's:
Scuderi - $3 million per for 3 years
Sykora - $3 million per for 2 years
Zigomanis - $850k per for 2 years

Trade: Eaton to save $2 million so you can keep Scuderi
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:19 pm

If Scuderi is going to cost $3M, it's time to say goodbye to him. They can't afford to drop that kind of coin on one-dimensional defenseman whose passing ability is average at best.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 pm

netwolf wrote:If Scuderi is going to cost $3M, it's time to say goodbye to him. They can't afford to drop that kind of coin on one-dimensional defenseman whose passing ability is average at best.

3 mil per is ridiculous money for scuderi. I much rather have a 2mil per season Mark Eaton than a 3mil per season scuderi.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Scuds isn't worth 3 million a year. I doubt highly that RS signs him for anywhere near that. Think more like $1.5m.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am

Scuds at 2 million is better than Eaton at 2 million RS needs to lock him up and send Eaton away for another pick
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:43 am

Scuds won't be 3 a year. Sure, Finger got a lot, but he also hits.

I'd rather keep Scuds than Eaton.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:45 am

Noise wrote:

I'd rather keep Scuds than Eaton.

Especially after tonight's performance (or the lack of performance) by Eaton.

I really don't know what happened to him. He was so good for the limited time he played in 06-07 and 07-08. It was like having two goalies on the ice when he was on.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:56 am

Yeah, not anymore. He now handles the puck like a hand grenade.

One thing I noticed tonight is how much Orpik and Scuderi have both improved with the puck. With Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, Scuderi, and Orpik, the Pens will have a defense that is incredibly mobile and good on the puck. That may seem defensively inadequate, but Letang and Gonchar are great 2-way players, and I think this will be Whitney's break out year defensively. Goligoski's a little shaky, but for a rookie he is pretty good.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:59 am

Noise wrote:Yeah, not anymore. He now handles the puck like a hand grenade.

One thing I noticed tonight is how much Orpik and Scuderi have both improved with the puck. With Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, Scuderi, and Orpik, the Pens will have a defense that is incredibly mobile and good on the puck. That may seem defensively inadequate, but Letang and Gonchar are great 2-way players, and I think this will be Whitney's break out year defensively. Goligoski's a little shaky, but for a rookie he is pretty good.

I never really thought Orpik was bad witht he puck, he made bad decisions when the puck was coming his way though. Scuderi has improved by a ton though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:11 am

Bowser wrote:Pens have about $17 million in cap space but they have to use is wisely on 10 players.

Signed: Crosby, Malkin, Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Godard, Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Eaton and Fleury = $41.33 million + TK's salary
Key RFA's:

Key UFA's:

BTW I wasn't aware it was time to armchair GM for next summer yet!

That probably leaves enough money for one of Afinogenov, Cole, or Kotalik to play with Crosby. Pens could bring up Curry for backup goalie.

Though I think Scuds will be more like 2 mil per.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:14 am

Noise wrote:
Bowser wrote:Pens have about $17 million in cap space but they have to use is wisely on 10 players.

Key RFA's:

Key UFA's:

BTW I wasn't aware it was time to armchair GM for next summer yet!

That probably leaves enough money for one of Afinogenov, Cole, or Kotalik to play with Crosby. Pens could bring up Curry for backup goalie.

Though I think Scuds will be more like 2 mil per.

Yeah I don't care how good people think Scuderi looks, let him walk for $3 M
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gary on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:30 am

Trade Gonchar after this year

That'd save a cool $5 million. And some team with space will figure Gonchar has enough left to get them to the playoffs, or deeper into them.

With Gogo continuing to develop, Gonchar will be expendable.

Edited: It'd only save the full $5 million if they get only draft choices, and none of those plays for the Pens next year. I am sleepy.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:34 am

doesnt Gonchar have a no trade clause?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:43 am

Yes he does. And he's still the Pens best defenseman.

Personally, I'd prefer he retires a Penguin. He's got plenty left in him. I don't think you could get a 5 million a year UFA forward that contributes as much offensively and defensively as Gonchar.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:53 am

Noise wrote:Yes he does. And he's still the Pens best defenseman.

Personally, I'd prefer he retires a Penguin. He's got plenty left in him. I don't think you could get a 5 million a year UFA forward that contributes as much offensively and defensively as Gonchar.

Yeah if he returns for something like 2.5, then it would be great for him to retire with the Pens, but nothing more than that, they won't be able to afford it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:40 am

Hard to tell how much they'll be able to afford, but you've got to figure Letang's salary will jump up a nice bit. Also depends on what they need that summer. The top 6 may very well be taken care of and the Pens might only need 3rd/4th line grit.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:03 am

I think, optimally, we keep Gonch on a second, cheaper contract, until he retires, Whitney develops into a solid two-way defenseman, Gogo becomes Gonchar Jr. We trade Letang for prospects/picks/a winger, somewhere down the line and, eventually, another offensive guy develops out of the system.

-Mongoose87, Canada's #2 Pens fan
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stefanh on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:09 am

netwolf wrote: The Pens have between $575-750K in cap space from what I can find at NHL. This move would apparently put the Pens over the upper limit unless other players are involved, and even if they did that to make the numbers work, this move would also make the blueline situation even more crowded. The Pens already have 7 healthy defensemen and Whitney could be ready in a month.

Also, the Pens can't afford to move another high (1st, 2nd or 3rd round) pick IMO.

Don't we have the option of Long TIme Injury Reserve with Gonchar though? That'd free quite some cap space up untik he get's back. The way the flyers got under te cap...
stefanh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:39 am

Listening to Bob Grove post game, he was trying to think out why D Sydor didn't play...perhaps pens showcasing Mark Eaton to the Isles? After being a +3 , oiler game, Sydor should have been in the line up.

I would believe trade rumors from the guys selling tickets on the Hill before Eklund.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:09 pm

I don't see how any situation that involves sending Goligoski or Letang packing would be optimal. I think people get a bit too attached to the guys that are here for a while. Especially in hockey, change is constant, and it's a young man's game. I tend to think Whitney, Letang, and Goligoski all have tremendous potential. I wouldn't opt to move any of them to keep Gonchar beyond his contract. If anything, the performance of this team so far should reinforce the idea that life after Gonchar will be fine.

The injuries to Whitney and Gonchar had a silver lining in that they opened up opportunities for Letang and Goligoski that wouldn't have been available otherwise. The flip side I hadn't considered is that it will also drive their price up now. Letang is in line for a big long-term contract after next season, and it'll be well earned. He's playing huge minutes and is playing well beyond his years. He's moving the puck well too. He's already almost matched his assist total from last year. Goligoski was going to have to be qualified at over $1 million anyway after this year but he's probably going to get a multi-year multi-million dollar deal after this season.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Eaton was horrible last night. His mistakes led directly to two Isles goals.

My wife was flipping out on Sabourin last night until I showed her how Eaton left him hanging in the wind. Poor poor performance by Eaton.

Gonchar comes back on his next contract at a reduced rate (unless some team like Vancouver throws Sundin type money out there which I don't see happening).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:09 pm

I would rather trade Whitney or Gonchar than Letang or Gogo. The latter two are cheaper and far more mobile.

Still, I'd prefer to keep all of them.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't know why there's so much common thought that he'll take a reduced rate to stay here. He's been one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league the last few seasons. He's had some of his best seasons as a Penguin. The cap has gone up significantly since he signed his contract. Hainsey just got $4.5 million. Rozsival got $5 million. Redden got $6.5 million, Campbell got over $7 million. Boyle's at $6.67 million. The events of last offseason are pretty good evidence that most guys aren't going to be willing to stay here at reduced contracts. The Pens can't come close to paying Gonchar what his market value will be. They'll likely have all three of Whitney, Letang, and Goligoski locked up after this summer. Probably with a new Staal contract as well, the cap situation is not going to be one that's going to allow this team to retain another defenseman on a multi-million dollar deal. Everything in my eyes points to Gonchar moving on after next season. That's fine; the Pens are already prepared for it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Noise wrote:I would rather trade Whitney or Gonchar than Letang or Gogo. The latter two are cheaper and far more mobile.

Still, I'd prefer to keep all of them.

Whitney would be the lathenne i'd trade. Then Letang, then Gonchar, then Gogo.

EDIT: I'm not gonna bother fixing that. I'm not on my normal computer and the time between input on the keys and the text actually appearing on the screen is about 3 seconds. I guess the text isn't all getting inputted because of the lagginess.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't know why there's so much common thought that he'll take a reduced rate to stay here. He's been one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league the last few seasons. He's had some of his best seasons as a Penguin. The cap has gone up significantly since he signed his contract. Hainsey just got $4.5 million. Rozsival got $5 million. Redden got $6.5 million, Campbell got over $7 million. Boyle's at $6.67 million. The events of last offseason are pretty good evidence that most guys aren't going to be willing to stay here at reduced contracts. The Pens can't come close to paying Gonchar what his market value will be. They'll likely have all three of Whitney, Letang, and Goligoski locked up after this summer. Probably with a new Staal contract as well, the cap situation is not going to be one that's going to allow this team to retain another defenseman on a multi-million dollar deal. Everything in my eyes points to Gonchar moving on after next season. That's fine; the Pens are already prepared for it.

This is what I was thinking when I read things like "Gonchar 2.5M." What? Yeah, if he were 42 and could only play PP, maybe. He's shown he is still a top pairing dman. He's going to get one more big contract before he even considers taking less.

Gonchar WILL be gone after his contract. That's why I'd like to see how the rest of the year pans out to consider trading him if Goligoski and Letang develop more and Whitney comes back ready to step into a prominent role. If a trade is made (huge IF), it would make the most sense at next season's trade deadline. They can find a Cup conetender who wants to do a trade and sign, which would hopefully convince Sergei to waive his NTC. Of course, if he doesn't, I have no problem with having him help us through the playoffs :D Not a horrible predicament to be in :wink:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins