ohlund

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ohlund

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 pm

I'd keep Letang and Gogo at all costs at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how Whitney performs after his surgery.

Gonchar is heading on the downside of his career. He turns 34 in April and this injury isn't going to be an easy one to come back from. His stickhandling and shot are going to be the most affected by the injury. If someone wants to give Gonchar $5m for 3 years, then we can't afford him. Most GMs aren't going to pay big money to a 34 year old D man coming off a big surgery...maybe Tampa Bay :)
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I'd keep Letang and Gogo at all costs at this point.

Gonchar is heading on the downside of his career. He turns 34 in April and this injury isn't going to be an easy one to come back from. His stickhandling and shot are going to be the most affected by the injury. If someone wants to give Gonchar $5m for 3 years, then we can't afford him. Most GMs aren't going to pay big money to a 34 year old D man coming off a big surgery...maybe Tampa Bay :)

I'd be shocked if Gonchar gets less than $6M and isn't sought after by any team who has cap space.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 pm

bhaw wrote:

I'd be shocked if Gonchar gets less than $6M and isn't sought after by any team who has cap space.

Depends on various factors. I think one of the major ones is whether or not the salary cap goes up. The economy issues may come in handy for one thing.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Depends on various factors. I think one of the major ones is whether or not the salary cap goes up. The economy issues may come in handy for one thing.

That doesn't really help. If his salary remains lower because the cap remains lower, is anything gained?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
bhaw wrote:

That doesn't really help. If his salary remains lower because the cap remains lower, is anything gained?

It means other teams will have a hard time signing him to a big deal.

Even though he's budgeted into our cap this year, with the additional signings we have to do, dumping Sydor/Gill make keeping Gonchar much easier.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:It means other teams will have a hard time signing him to a big deal.

Even though he's budgeted into our cap this year, with the additional signings we have to do, dumping Sydor/Gill make keeping Gonchar much easier.

Yeah, and like I said, nothing is gained, because it makes it just as hard for the penguins to re-sign him as it does for other teams to sign him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:33 pm

The Pens will have far more money added to the cap than what is coming off. Malkin's going from a ~$3.8 million hit to $8.7 million. Letang and Goligoski will likely be getting locked up this summer. Just look around the league to see the precedent for those kinds of players. Talbot will be getting a new deal. Staal, assuming he stays, will be getting a new deal. The Pens already approached the cap this year. Things are really going to start getting tight in the coming years. Gonchar is a luxury they're not going to be able to afford past his current deal. They need his salary off the books just to help account for the raises the young players are getting. The Pens have been lucky in that many of their prominent players were young guys getting paid way less than the contributions they brought. In the very near future, that's not going to be the case. They're going to get paid legitimate money. Some already are.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will have far more money added to the cap than what is coming off. Malkin's going from a ~$3.8 million hit to $8.7 million. Letang and Goligoski will likely be getting locked up this summer. Just look around the league to see the precedent for those kinds of players. Talbot will be getting a new deal. Staal, assuming he stays, will be getting a new deal. The Pens already approached the cap this year. Things are really going to start getting tight in the coming years. Gonchar is a luxury they're not going to be able to afford past his current deal. They need his salary off the books just to help account for the raises the young players are getting. The Pens have been lucky in that many of their prominent players were young guys getting paid way less than the contributions they brought. In the very near future, that's not going to be the case. They're going to get paid legitimate money. Some already are.

Letang still has another year on his RFA contract, so even if he gets locked up, it won't go up until 2010.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Noise wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The Pens will have far more money added to the cap than what is coming off. Malkin's going from a ~$3.8 million hit to $8.7 million. Letang and Goligoski will likely be getting locked up this summer. Just look around the league to see the precedent for those kinds of players. Talbot will be getting a new deal. Staal, assuming he stays, will be getting a new deal. The Pens already approached the cap this year. Things are really going to start getting tight in the coming years. Gonchar is a luxury they're not going to be able to afford past his current deal. They need his salary off the books just to help account for the raises the young players are getting. The Pens have been lucky in that many of their prominent players were young guys getting paid way less than the contributions they brought. In the very near future, that's not going to be the case. They're going to get paid legitimate money. Some already are.

Letang still has another year on his RFA contract, so even if he gets locked up, it won't go up until 2010.

Which is when Gonchar will be getting his next contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:54 pm

true

But we've got no idea where the Pens will be sitting after next year cap-wise or how Gonchar's play will be or what the Pens need.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Noise wrote:true

But we've got no idea where the Pens will be sitting after next year cap-wise or how Gonchar's play will be or what the Pens need.

Crosby may only score 38 goals between now and the end of NEXT season. Then we'd need another center and Shero will look stupid for trading EC away.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:39 pm

haha
Or Angelo Esposito

I don't think the Pens will need a scoring line center anytime soon though ;)

There are still a lot of variables though. . .

if I'm Shero, the only ones coming off a contract in 2010 would be Gonchar and Cooke. Letang would be locked to get a pay increase to Orpik/Whitney numbers. There wouldn't really be any need to pursue any high profile free agents, so keeping Gonchar would really just depend on what he's worth that summer and how much the cap goes up.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 pm

What absolute garbage. The Pens have 7 Dmen on 1 way deals plus Letang & Gogo and they are going to trade for another Dman?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Draftnik wrote:What absolute garbage. The Pens have 7 Dmen on 1 way deals plus Letang & Gogo and they are going to trade for another Dman?

Yes. We're going to try and start a fad by having our defenseman play as forwards and our remaining forwards play as defenseman.

Sid and Malkin are our offensive d-men. Orpik is our new left wing power forward. Letang is our playmaking center and Goligoski is our sniper on the RW.
:P
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Draftnik wrote:What absolute garbage. The Pens have 7 Dmen on 1 way deals plus Letang & Gogo and they are going to trade for another Dman?

Yes. We're going to try and start a fad by having our defenseman play as forwards and our remaining forwards play as defenseman.

Sid and Malkin are our offensive d-men. Orpik is our new left wing power forward. Letang is our playmaking center and Goligoski is our sniper on the RW.
:P

Well, Goligoski does have the 3rd highest shooting percentage on the entire team. He only trails Satan and Sykora.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... me=summary
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Am I the only one who thought this was a play on words on "Eklund"? Like he made some ridiculous trade comment and you were just like "Oh, Eklund...Ohlund"...

Anyone anyone, just me?
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby KG on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm

I don't see the need for Ohlund, therefore, since I don't see it...the rumor has been debunked = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 am

Ohlund looked like CRAP against the Caps back in early October, second game of the regular season. I realize that that was a while ago, but he was BAD BAD!!! It doesn't even cut salary.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins