The Official Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Official Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Postby netwolf on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:36 am

Tyler Kennedy is off to a great start so far. In addition to the energy he constantly provides, he's been producing a very high rate of return on the ice time he gets.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... me=summary

He averages 13:44 per game, 15th on the team, 9th among forwards. In that time he ranks:

• 2nd in goals with 5, all at even strength
• 4th in points with 9
• 3rd in shots with 37
• 5th in shooting percentage at 13.5%
• 2nd in plus-minus at +3
• 1st in game winning goals with 2

I don't know if he can keep this up over the course of a full season, but to this point, he's been full value for this club.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Official Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 am

I stand by my belief that he has eventual top six potential. He's got a great collection of attributes that are appropriate for making up for his lack of size, which I think is the only major flaw in him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cs6687 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 am

Kennedy has been terrific. A real asset to this team. Here's his shaving cream-in-the-face interview from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYzP6ZzpAug
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:49 am

I find myself in the middle of the spectrum on Kennedy. Some people for some reason think he has no hands or a shot and I find myself explaining that he has the potential to be a top 6 guy. Then others think he is the answer for Crosby's wing right now and I find myself saying that I don't think he is there yet. There really is no one in the middle.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 am

He's definiitely not the long term answer for crosby's line, but if mad max doesn't keep playing well, then I think he should get a shot, why the heck not, I think its him, then gill, then dupuis again, then racchi's rug, and so on...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:51 am

He looked great with Zigomanis last night. That line was dangerous against the Islanders.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 am

JoseCuervo wrote:He looked great with Zigomanis last night. That line was dangerous against the Islanders.

exactly.... he performs and will continue to perform when hes NOT expected to score and whatnot... throw him on the top line and i can guarantee his confidence will plummet if he doesnt produce results right away
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 am

I noticed the game before he had a few good shifts with Ziggy. They seem to be able to find passing lanes to each other very easily.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 am

KENNEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:03 am

Wasn't there someone on this board last week that wanted to send TK down to WBS so he could regain his scoring touch? Unreal. TK is a beast. One of the few players on this team that I can confidently say has put forth his best effort every game this season. His scoring touch seems to come and go and he occasionally makes young player mistakes, but the energy and effort is always there. He plays bigger than he really is and he is willing to lay it all on the line for his team and teammates. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him and it was a great move by Shero to lock him up for a few more years.

Based on his performance last season and so far this season, its amazing that waste Filewich overshadowed Kennedy on the Pens prospect list.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 am

i want to buy a 60 inch plasma for every room in my house and have this playing on a non-stop loop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tsWGXNfeck

..but yeah, kennedy has a lot of tools. good speed, good shot, makes crafty plays and his control of the puck behind the net rvals anyone not named crosby or malkin. his size doesn't even factor in since he's one of our best checkers and his "streaky" goal scoring is misleading since he spent a big chunk of the season with centers who can't pass.

he's just a little raw with some of his positioning and decision making. but give him a full season and see how he looks in spring.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 am

I support Kennedy. He's been good for us in 4-5 games with not a lot of minutes.

But his ranking in the team stats is as much a product of good players NOT scoring/executing, than how awesome Kennedy is.

He had a few great shifts with Ziggy, and a few great ones with Staal.

I agree, don't throw him on Sid's wing quite yet, but as long as he continues to improve, he'll get his shot.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 am

Kennedy has a nice offensive game. It is good to see a righty with offensive game on this team...37 shots is impressive as well.

His work ethic is what makes him so valuable...Keep it up TK
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 am

Ive loved TK since I saw him perform in the last year playoffs. And ive always wanted him on the top 2 lines. His scoring touch is coming along but even when he wasnt scoring he always fought for the puck, got the puck and made good decisions. When we wernt scoring ive always wanted him on Crosbys line instead of Pascal Dupuis. Even Talbot. These are 2 good players to have. They just need to score and we are good!
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Kennedy has quickly become one of my faves. Non-stop pitbull attack on the ice.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:There really is no one in the middle.

I am. :lol:

I think he's one of those guys that will mostly be a third line guy but has enough skill that he can move up a line from time to time. I love his energy and hustle.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 pm

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There really is no one in the middle.

I am. :lol:

I think he's one of those guys that will mostly be a third line guy but has enough skill that he can move up a line from time to time. I love his energy and hustle.

You would be.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Maybe while they were away in Sweden I remember reading he worked hard over their shortened summer to get better and he has. He is doing his part for balance scoring after Evgeni and Miroslav S. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:44 pm

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NeokgLmlY&feature=related

Never saw this before...

Ouch. Bad hack job TK...

No negative posts in the official TK thread though :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhEJNbkH ... re=related

forgot about this one. comrie was pretty dirty against us last year (he seriously slewfooted someone...talbot maybe?). nice of kennedy to take out the turdy light-middleweights.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 pm

I just want him to score at home soon

MR KENNEDY!!!!
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby CKA24 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:02 pm

TK's my boy
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelcity8687 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:58 pm

shmenguin wrote:i want to buy a 60 inch plasma for every room in my house and have this playing on a non-stop loop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tsWGXNfeck

..but yeah, kennedy has a lot of tools. good speed, good shot, makes crafty plays and his control of the puck behind the net rvals anyone not named crosby or malkin. his size doesn't even factor in since he's one of our best checkers and his "streaky" goal scoring is misleading since he spent a big chunk of the season with centers who can't pass.

he's just a little raw with some of his positioning and decision making. but give him a full season and see how he looks in spring.

Kennedy has been the best player on the forecheck all year. He might not win quite as many battles in the corner as Crosby or Malkin, but after winning a battle, his ability to pick his head up and make an accurate pass to a teammate cutting to the front of the net has been far better in comparison to Crosby's no look passes so far this year.

In the last couple of games I have noticed a lot more players starting to do the same, so maybe the guys are getting to know each other better. It is one thing to cycle, its another skill knowing when you have enough time to turn your back away from the net so you can take a good look at the front of the cage. But TK's offensive awareness has been his best weapon this year.
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:05 pm

He's got a nose for the net and once his game matures a little more he could actually be in line for that spot on Crosby's wing. He works hard, but he sometimes gets impatient with the puck, although his cycling has been far more efficient this season than last. Love his drive, though. He's in the same category as Talbot, as far as I am concerned. Hard work and a penchant for scoring big goals. In the world of utility/role players, these two are tops.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins